Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #10486
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
SmartCarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd5774 View Post
What I can't understand with the fuelling on the bikes, is why would the teams use EFI with all it's associated problems....

I know the reasoning behind EFI with altitude compensation and more fuel economy so smaller tanks and then less weight on the bikes, but it would seem that every team running EFI has run into problems with it at some point, either minor problems or major!

If I was running in the Dakar I'd use this.

http://www.powerapt.com/smartcarb.php

Works as a conventional carb but compensates for altitude and a cleaner burn of fuel, it's been a major discussion on both Gas Gas and Ktm forums with there even being a rumour it might come as standard on the 2014 gasgas bikes..
That Carb is currently in the Dakar. The guy on the KTM 150 is using it.
SigPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #10487
ironmtnracing
MotoQuest Seattle

Oddometer: 688
Am I the only one who thought their approach to solving this was insane? Now I'm assuming they could get someone to pull them back on their wheels, so why not just grab it by the nose, drag it 90 degrees, then pull it over? I can't see where this would have resulted in any serious damage.

I guess moving mountains is one way to do it. Now...if they were alone without the chance to get a strap on it, then.....wow, 7 hours. Bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Interesting scenario there... they really spent SEVEN HOURS digging that bank away so they could pull it over with a rope?

A number of years ago when I was more involved with 4 wheels rather than 2, a lot of the 4x4 guys would use an air-bag jack, which would have made this sort of situation far easier - basically it is a large nylon reenforced bag that in the old days used to have a hose that connected to the exhaust pipe, later versions are more eco friendly and have a 12v air compressor to inflate it instead (and obviously in the 2WD race cars, it could even be inflated by the on-board tyre compressor).

Basically the bag was about 3 or 4 feet high when inflated, and strong enough to lift/tip a vehicle upwards, and only took a few minutes to inflate...

In the scenario in the photo above, the bag would be slid under the vehicle's side to lift it sufficiently for the wheels to touch the bank (if not far enough on the first attempt, sand could be piled under the raised vehicle and the bag repositioned to push it further), then the co-driver could attach a rope to the top of the door frame, helping to hold the vehicle onto the bank while the driver drove it off, and let the air-bag jack pop out from between the vehicle side and the ground... Don't scoff, I've seen it work!

I'm not sure how many car/truck crews carry one of these, but in the absence of a winch and ground anchor (which is hardly going to be fitted to a race car), these really are the quickest and easiest way to right a vehicle if there are no other vehicles around to give you a tug, particularly in sand.

Jx
ironmtnracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #10488
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmtnracing View Post
Am I the only one who thought their approach to solving this was insane? Now I'm assuming they could get someone to pull them back on their wheels, so why not just grab it by the nose, drag it 90 degrees, then pull it over? I can't see where this would have resulted in any serious damage.

I guess moving mountains is one way to do it. Now...if they were alone without the chance to get a strap on it, then.....wow, 7 hours. Bummer.
I think they were alone, no way were they going to move it without another vehicle to assist!

MY BLOG
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #10489
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Hmm a little while ago I swear there were 2 bikes on yesterdays with drawls they took that 1 bike off, now the other one is gone...
Old 01-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #10490
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Robby, chump? I like his driving style but...geeze that guy knows how to dig himself into a hole. You think Kellon had anything to do with the section where he left the wash and into the dunes only to drop back into the wash?
I wondered about that too - however, it might have been that there was (or they were nearing) a waypoint up behind the dune - if you watch the footage there are other tyre tracks leading down the hill and back onto the piste track they ended up on...

It might have been a 'nasty' waypoint to catch out any lazy navigators - in that the obvious route was, as you suggest, up towards the crowd who were standing above the piste - however, if you'd headed straight for the piste, you would not have registered the waypoint on the GPS if it was up behind the dune, as you would not have been close enough to it?

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #10491
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExV1x View Post
Kurt Caselli has had his penalty from Stage 8 reversed and is now in 11th overall.
Hurray!!!

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #10492
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Hmm a little while ago I swear there were 2 bikes on yesterdays with drawls they took that 1 bike off, now the other one is gone...
Yep, you're right. Curiouser and curiouser ...
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #10493
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,894
Robbys latest video, having a go at Nasser, notice the wry smile as he walks away

http://www.planetrobby.com/video/201...-dakar-stage-8

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #10494
Resist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:

Your assumption is wrong. As per the quotes at my site, they were 100% alone. Nobody was out there to assist. They were the second car after Peterhansel and before the stage got called off, so nobody coming through behind them at all. Assistance from ASO = out of rally. So they did it alone.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #10495
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
Well, I still haven't heard from my husband even once yet. Thank goodness for some other team mates filling me in. Just uploaded some photos from rest day of the Freedom Rally crew. Hope this link works.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8999566&type=1
Old 01-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #10496
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Rallymaniacs ‏@Rallymaniacs
@cyrildespres introduced a new kind of helper next to the watercarrier: the enginecarrier. Must bring a crisp engine to the marathonbivouac.

8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #10497
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,894
I missed France 4 this morning, was it on !! any good ??

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #10498
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,817
What happened to Eurosport coverage at 2300 ? Cancelled ?
Bruno T . is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #10499
Lgo175
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by svizzerams View Post
Hurray!!!
It ain't so till it's posted......or the dead lady sings
Lgo175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #10500
ric678