Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #11973
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post

Now how do you think a nice guy like RG gets those people off his car when it's time to go again? I'll bet it doesn't involve him speaking spanish.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #11974
XSpearsX
Dakar Widow

Oddometer: 488
I know. Thats all I need is to see at wp4 and I could relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Sadly, Luis wasn't reported into wp4 yet

Seems like that time again.....

Old 01-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #11975
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
This thread is still moving faster than one can possibly read, so perhaps this is old news :

Just got off the phone with Ullevålseter from bivouac, Despres lost his fifth gear, and hasn't found it yet :)
So 99% it means end of Dakar for him. There is no legal possibility to repair this, to open gearbox on RR, engine must be opened and inside of marathon it is just not possible. He cannot change his engine for Faria's as well, it would be good for nothing and they have not enough tools out there anyway.

With PAU's Egypt engine, side teeth on third cracked and destroyed half of gearbox, so there is little chance CD get anywhere near San Miguel tomorrow. If he cannot kick in fifth, definitely something is there flying loose. Of course there is always possibility miraculously repair the engine along the stage :) but I doubt KTM would take a chance with all this attention at the moment. I can confirm big teams has done it before (simply rode out there to some coordinates and changed what needed), but cameras will follow CD too tight tomorrow to take the risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
This is again too long to read it all, so maybe old news...

CD is changing engine again. Fresh news from PAU. :)
Is PAU teasing us or is somebody there teasing PAU?

CD: "ze reports of my demise are greatly.........."
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #11976
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Casteau:

I was roughly at km 100 and riding calmly, without pushing it too hard. I was hot on the heels of Pedro Bianchi when a cow popped out of a turn. I hit it with the handlebar and fell hard on my shoulder. My fuel tank got a hole in it, so I quite obviously ran out of petrol. Vincent Guindani gave me some and I managed to finish the first part. The doctors strapped my shoulder so I could start the second special, but my motorcycle stopped 30 km from the finish. I think it was a sign: I had to stop. It wasn't worth it. I wanted to fight at the front. I already had my fair share of bad luck in 2011 and 2012. I'm going back home tomorrow. It's a hard blow. One day you're crying of joy and the next you're crying of pain and sadness.
Man Dakar is a tough mistress.

I sent him a note to his FB on behalf of the F5irehose, and gave him the link to earlier today when we were all cheering him on.

David, maybe you remember me from Sertoes 2010. We have all be cheering you on and sharing your joy, and now your sadness. Pardonnez mon mauvais français Vous êtes notre héros et nous espérons que vous reviendrez en 2014 - The Advrider.com Dakar F5 team http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...52309&page=714

Earlier today at the start of the stage, he posted this:

" Merci à tous et à toutes pour vos messages. J'ai un peu de chacun d'entre vous avec moi. Allez je vous emmène jusqu'au bout ! Continuons de rêver ensemble !!! " David

"Thanks to all of you for your messages. I have a bit of each of you with me. Come I'll take you to the end! Continue to dream together!" David
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #11977
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Ok, this is LAIAGATE, right there. Monsieur Despres helped the lady this morning....
Attached Images

8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #11978
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #11979
Tomas Kocanda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
Hi friends,
I´m sorry to not post earlier, quite busy time for me those days...
Working part time as Eurosport CZ speaker for Dakar + quite a lot of work at the shop and office :( And little kid at home. Busy...

So, first of all, rider who I work for is out (Jan Vesely), his Yamaha WR450F finished with broken coil some days ago, 30km before end of the very long stage at dunes. They tried to tow his bike behind truck, what finished with bike quite totally destroyed as they did not recognised, he is already on ground and bike was doing flops for about 500m. Jan though he will repair the bike and missed chance to be towed to the end of special behind some quad for example. Race truck was last before sweeper, so he had no other options.. Now is out.

Anyway, here is quite big gallery with many shots supplied by Czech Dakar Team and spefically J. Jindra, photographer who is there riding Jan Vesely´s last year bike. He use it as transportation vehicle on places at the stage.
Hope you will enjoy it. Actually, there is few shots from elsewhere, what I used in Facebook or blog. Sorry about this mix up.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1085537...eat=directlink

Few shots:
Here is Jan Vesely with his bike on his last visit at our garage before he packed for Dakar:

BMW R1150GS Adventure (RR modified), R1200GS Custom, XV1600 Custom...
www.touratech.cz
Tomas Kocanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #11980
Lgo175
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:

Good on him, a gentleman and a scholar.....

WHERE IS SHE NOW ????
Lgo175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #11981
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagehand View Post

after finishing stage 8 41st, rod was informed that his start position for stage 9 was 60th..... (not such a happy camper, no explanation as to why but he seems to think that riders that had completed dakar prior to this year were pushed forward) he has come in 33rd today and at the moment still giving him an overall ranking of 16th. Ben grabham, another aussie and a rookie is also doing extremely well with his ranking of 17th. Go aussies. : )

rf fb

for myself, are all the guys giants? I only look like gaston on a 450, but these guys make them look like toys. His freakin knees are banging bars when he sits for crying out loud.

Pyndon looks huge.

I know van ginkle is like, 7 feet tall at least.

Im short dammit
go aussies go
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #11982
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Yeah must say, even though I was one of the more vocal critics of Cyril last year at mud gate, he has won me over ever since. Great post and puts a lot of things in perspective after the heat of the moment has passed. That bandana has got to go though
A big + 1 on both and for anyone else who can get close to their level.
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #11983
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Kocanda View Post
Hi friends,
Working part time as Eurosport CZ speaker for Dakar + quite a lot of work at the shop and office :( And little kid at home. Busy...

So, first of all, rider who I work for is out (Jan Vesely), his Yamaha WR450F finished with broken coil some days ago, 30km before end of the very long stage at dunes. They tried to tow his bike behind truck, what finished with bike quite totally destroyed as they did not recognised, he is already on ground and bike was doing flops for about 500m. Jan though he will repair the bike and missed chance to be towed to the end of special behind some quad for example. Race truck was last before sweeper, so he had no other options.. Now is out.

Anyway, here is quite big gallery with many shots supplied by Czech Dakar Team and spefically J. Jindra, photographer who is there riding Jan Vesely´s last year bike. He use it as transportation vehicle on places at the stage.
Hope you will enjoy it. Actually, there is few shots from elsewhere, what I used in Facebook or blog. Sorry about this mix up.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1085537...eat=directlink

Hi, ToKo!
Nice to see you here again. Always appreciate pics and "insider info."
Hadn't heard the details regarding Jan's bike being destroyed by the tow truck. Man! That's tragic.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #11984
Frougby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Last I saw Laia was through wp8
Frougby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #11985
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Kocanda View Post
Hi friends,