Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
KGBz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Is October a good Month For a Cross Country?

Well, I have been lurking on ADV for a few years now, and I have finally decided to join the inmates. Now that I am finally over a multi year bout with depression, it's time to head West. Ask any East coast adventurer where he's going after winning the super bowl, and it ain't going to be disney world...it's always WEST!

Anyway, my route will take me from Philadelphia to Los Angeles via the Grand Canyon and the Black Mesa area of Oklahoma. I am planning on doing a BBG for the first stretch, from the East coast all the way through to Enid, OK.

If anyone has any comments, advice, ARGO's or any other friendly or unfriendly kudos they would like to give to me, please lay it on brother.
KGBz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBz View Post
Well, I have been lurking on ADV for a few years now, and I have finally decided to join the inmates. Now that I am finally over a multi year bout with depression, it's time to head West. Ask any East coast adventurer where he's going after winning the super bowl, and it ain't going to be disney world...it's always WEST!

Anyway, my route will take me from Philadelphia to Los Angeles via the Grand Canyon and the Black Mesa area of Oklahoma. I am planning on doing a BBG for the first stretch, from the East coast all the way through to Enid, OK.

If anyone has any comments, advice, ARGO's or any other friendly or unfriendly kudos they would like to give to me, please lay it on brother.
Hi KGBz,

October is a great month to ride in the Smoky mountains. The fall foliage is stunning and the roads are curvalicious.

Seems a shame to miss some of the best riding on the east coast at a beautiful time of year just for the sake of a BBG. I get depressed just thinking about you missing out on those fine roads.

My suggestion would be to hold off on your distance riding until you get out west. Averaging 62.5 mph over a 24 hour stretch with eightish gas stops is harder than you might imagine without exceeding the speed limit. If you must do it, you'll have better luck in Texas on the interstates where everyone drives 80+.

Just a thought.

And yes, October is a great month to head out west across country. Especially if you're swinging down to Oklahoma and out to the Grand Canyon. Should be fun. Best luck.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Go West Young Man!!!!

Late September, early October is a great time to ride across the country, especially the Rockies. If you are planning on riding the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, check the road closure date. It is a beautiful ride, so think about it. And the aspens are at peak that time of year. If Mid October, watch the passes, it can snow anytime!

Agree with taking you time thru the east, then run the BB after you cross the Mississippi.

Go for it!
LONG DONGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
KGBz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi KGBz,

October is a great month to ride in the Smoky mountains. The fall foliage is stunning and the roads are curvalicious.

Seems a shame to miss some of the best riding on the east coast at a beautiful time of year just for the sake of a BBG. I get depressed just thinking about you missing out on those fine roads.

My suggestion would be to hold off on your distance riding until you get out west. Averaging 62.5 mph over a 24 hour stretch with eightish gas stops is harder than you might imagine without exceeding the speed limit. If you must do it, you'll have better luck in Texas on the interstates where everyone drives 80+.

Just a thought.

And yes, October is a great month to head out west across country. Especially if you're swinging down to Oklahoma and out to the Grand Canyon. Should be fun. Best luck.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
JDowns, Thanks for the info. I drove a rental around Texas... and i did get a speed waring...95 in an 80... Such is Texas.

I hear you on the East Coast, but the fact is I have been wanting to cross the Mississippi... well I actually just did driving my car to NO.... on a bike for some time now. I can't wait to be riding the spurs of my modern horse. Maybe even from independence City in MO... I just hope I don't get cholera or scarlet fever like the Oregon Trail settlers.

I'm looking to have a few days to just 'chill' in one spot. So a BBG might help me do that by getting beyond what I have seen and the flat region asap. Although, hooking up with a small town hottie if I take it slower.....

we shall see!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
JDowns gave you the answer!
Have you actually ridden the thousands of miles of great roads in the eastern USA? Simply passing through doesn't get it.There are two times of year here in the eastern mtns to find the best riding: spring & fall. Don't miss one of them while your going through there anyway!
What the hell's in Independence,MO? I've been there lots, did I miss something? Perhaps your a Democrat & after Harry Truman lore? Also OK? pretty nice place overall but why head there instead of other places with better riding? There is the road from west of Hot Springs,AR into OK that's a good ride. Forgot the name, starts with a T.
Are "small town hotties" better than the other kind?Here in my old age I'm thinking there either a hottie or not a hottie... FWIW, My wife's not even from a town.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
JDowns gave you the answer!
Have you actually ridden the thousands of miles of great roads in the eastern USA? Simply passing through doesn't get it.There are two times of year here in the eastern mtns to find the best riding: spring & fall. Don't miss one of them while your going through there anyway!
What the hell's in Independence,MO? I've been there lots, did I miss something? Perhaps your a Democrat & after Harry Truman lore? Also OK? pretty nice place overall but why head there instead of other places with better riding? There is the road from west of Hot Springs,AR into OK that's a good ride. Forgot the name, starts with a T.
Are "small town hotties" better than the other kind?Here in my old age I'm thinking there either a hottie or not a hottie... FWIW, My wife's not even from a town.
You're thinking of the Talimena Scenic byway. Holy crap! That road is awesome! Nothing but curves. I rode it six months ago on my way down to South America. Put it on your bucket list. It will not disappoint,

Cheers,
John Downs
Old 04-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
You're thinking of the Talimena Scenic byway. Holy crap! That road is awesome! Nothing but curves. I rode it six months ago on my way down to South America. Put it on your bucket list. It will not disappoint,

Cheers,
John Downs
Starts in Mena - west end of AR.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
KGBz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You're thinking of the Talimena Scenic byway.
Forget the bucket list... I may just have to work that into my list for this trip. That looks amazing. It's all still in flux. So the harder the inmates on here fume and flame about things... the more likley I will go.

But I am definitively ditching the east, no matter what anyone says, for the west. Jim Morrison knew it.... the west is the BEST baby.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
Quoting Jim Morrison-who is he? Hate to show my stupidity but I'm curious. I do remember that it was not him that was famous for the "go west young man, go west" quote. Maybe was it Walt Whitman?

I really like riding in AR. My people on my Dad's side are from Ozarks in MO & AR. We went there on family visits & vacations as a kid & I fished there, etc. as an adult. I also raced near Stuttgart,AR in 1960's-not good riding near there as flat land, rice & ducks country , unlike Mena area. Hot Springs is much too touristy for me but yes, Talimena a great road. The best riding in AR, by far, is the entire NW quarter of the state. Riders flock there for the riding. It's still a fact that the eastern mtns are a not to be missed sight in October when the trees are in color. People rave about New England in the fall but it can be just as pretty here in Appalachians then. Nice then in AR but not to match KY for fall colors. There is a difference in the roads too. The lay of the land makes for a difference but both east mtns & AR are worthy roads.
Have a great trip & I sincerely hope you stay healthy & see some nice country.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Quoting Jim Morrison-who is he? Hate to show my stupidity but I'm curious. I do remember that it was not him that was famous for the "go west young man, go west" quote. Maybe was it Walt Whitman?
Jim Morrison was from the group The Doors, and the song was "The End." Lyrics here:
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/doors/t..._20042686.html

"Go west, young man" is supposedly from American author Horace Greeley, but there seems to be some controversy regarding the source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_West,_young_man

At any rate, I hope the OP has a great trip!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
....The best riding in AR, by far, is the entire NW quarter of the state......
As a rough guide, people can use 'north of I-20 and west of Hwy 7'.
But there is also some good stuff a little east and south of those roads.
It's great street and DS riding. Just get your maps and goo...:)
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
KGBz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

I am beginning to warm to the idea of skipping the cross country portion of the trip and exploring the areas in Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, South Dakota... areas East of the Rocky Mountains.

It may be best to enjoy the ride rather then worry about the pace. I would also like to experience the West via a Dual Sport, which I currently do not own.

So, besides The Ozarks, The Blue, The Smokies, and the Badlands.... What other good riding areas with twisties are there in the center of this great and diverse land?