Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #16
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph76 View Post
You'd figure that with all these suspension threads that a bmw rep. would get a clue.
Lol you would think. They could have doubled sales if they at least made adjustable forks for 2013.
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #17
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
thanks indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Call Dan Anderson and discuss the AK-20 off-road kit for BMW F800GS:

TRAXXION DYNAMICS, INC.
261 Rope Mill Pkwy, Ste. 3
Woodstock, GA 30188
Phone: 770-592-3823
Email: info@traxxion.com

You can get a rear shock from others: Hyperpro, Elka, WP, Wilbers, Ohlins etc
thanks indy
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
Curtis76
Coug Fan

Oddometer: 67
Konflict Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by BcDano View Post
I had my forks worked over by Alex of Konflict Motorsports. Great guy that really knows his stuff. For the 800 he has a custom fully adjustable solution. I have put 40+ thousand KMs on the set up in all types of conditions and they have been fantastic.

Alex is an excellent resource even if you don't go with his solution. He has also been chosen by Touratech USA as there tech for the new rear shock line. Like I said guy knows his stuff.

http://konflictmotorsports.com/
+1 for Alex
I called Alex earlier this week and he gave me a 1/2 tutorial on suspension (or lack thereof on my '10 F8GS). He didn't try to 'sell me' on anything, just gave me information, options and advice for my body type and riding style. I'm local to his shop and I've got an appt to drop my bike off the week of March 11th to swap out the springs in the front end and an upgraded shock on the back. Alex seams to be a nice guy and he know his stuff. I look forward to working with him and to get to finally 'know' what I haven't 'known'.

`10 F800GS

If your circle stays unbroken... then you're a lucky man. - Ronnie James
Curtis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #19
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph76 View Post
You'd figure that with all these suspension threads that a bmw rep. would get a clue.
Stop that now!

They'll take you off their Christmas card list.

I had a Showa fork set off an RMZ 450 that I picked up brand spanking new on eBay for US$400, and I had Emig racing do a set of F800GS custom triples and bore them to suit the Showas, for a cost of $1200 with a steering damper (it leaked oil a lot but I found a dodgy O-ring and changed it - no more leaks).

I took one brake disc off, made a caliper bracket, and fitted a front master cylinder off a DR650. No....I don't want to hear about the oil magically vaporising and having no brakes. In a very violent 10000kms or so off road it hasn't yet. Brakes work well, you wouldn't know there was a disc missing until you do things like bang into a hairpin with wife and camping gear at 180kph. Then you'll initially notice there's less brake force. I don't know if it's me mashing the lever all the way to the bars or not, but it seems to pull up ok after the initial beige feeling. No, I'm not joking.

As for functionality...I had the forks completely revalved by someone who has done a brilliant job on 3 other sets of Showas I've fitted to 650s. He got it perfect. I've jumped it, 2 up, solo, and pounded the crap out of it over house brick sized rocks on steep mountain trails.

I can't remember what spring rate was in these forks, I mean, I set them up for a 650 and then changed them, I know I changed the springs, but can't for the life of me remember what rate they were. Standard the RMZ rate is similar to the standard F8 rate. I prefer to have lighter springs and revalve the high speed damping circuit to take the big hits, leaving nice plush ride over trail chop. I have solo - 65mm of sag, and 2 up - 85mm sag. It glides over rocks and tree roots, but handles big hits perfectly.

Best front end ever. I love it. If I bought a new F8, it would sit in the garage until all the parts had arrived to do this exact set up.

I took the old 0.55 Ohlins springs out of the stock forks and machined down the spring guides in my single chamber RMZ forks, put it all together with a revalve and fitted them back on my DR650.

2 bikes done. I already had 0.55 springs in my other DR.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #20
DoWorkSon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
I went the cheap route and just did the springs... About $150(including 2 quarts oil) and a few hours of labor on my part... Incredible difference. I could not even imagine how new cartridges would be.
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote