User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
jengel451 OP
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 666
New bike for me

Picked up a '13 800gs yesterday and trucked it home. Got a chance to ride it about 30 miles today, was a chilly 35 and the roads had a nice coating of de-icer and sand on them. Made for some nice slides.

When I got the bike I got the Rally seat right away as that's what everyone pretty much demanded I changed right away. Done.

Background: Ridden XR's, WR's, Vintage, New, Ducati's, Aprilia's, Honda's (including an early veradero), I've road raced, dirt biked, dual sported and toured.
Me: 6'4 205 pounds of manliness.

Initial impressions:
Motor: Smooth as silk, linear power, feels like a torque monster. Throttle seems a bit snatchy down low. we'll see if that smooths out as it breaks in.

Suspension:
Soft and the front end feels a lot like the RC51 did when it came out. Totally vague and you never know what it's doing. (That's gonna get fixed ASAP)

Windscreen:
I've read all the complaints, honestly, the little I did ride at 70-80 it didn't feel all that bad, but that was only 5 miles in distance. I tried to really pay attention to the buffeting and it really wasn't all that bad. I've had worse for sure.

One thing that really popped into my mind as a red flag is the passenger pegs. Who in the hell would design welded on mounts like that? I messed around a little bit and already nailed my right calf on the rear peg. It's a in a horrible spot and getting rid of it will take an angle grinder...which i'm seriously contemplating.

Next on the list:
Suspension
Hand guards
Tires
skid plate
GL bag
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,070
looking

Take a look at Moto Overland Development for the skid plate (outstanding) and K60's or a combo of a super mefo rear & tkc 80 front for true 60/40 tires, good mileage unless changing tires is you passion.

Konflicked Motorsports for the suspension.

Hiwaydirt Bikes for the hand guards

If none of that trips you trigger, then I got nothing --N joy the ride

Arizona OHV Ambassador

BELSTAFF screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 06:09 PM Reason: add
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
jengel451 OP
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 666
I've got some things in the works for the suspension, i'll be reporting back on that in a couple weeks or so.

Oh yeah, this has got the be the EASIEST bike I've ever had to get on the center stand!
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote