Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
Nope yours in not the first XR400 to have this problem, but before you throw money at it trying to fix a carb problem adjust the valves the right way. on 400EX quads if they are right they crank as soon as the starter button is touched, if they are wrong they have to turn over 3 to 5 times before they crank.
What are they hydraulic or something? Or do you mean to make sure you adjust them on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Tried to start it again today and no luck. I have decided that I hate this bike and I hope it rots in he**
ibeme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeme1 View Post
Tried to start it again today and no luck. I have decided that I hate this bike and I hope it rots in he**
Tried starting fluid and all that? Do you know the last time it ran? Is it stored in a heated garage?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,525
My XR was a beast to start until I got a pumper installed! If I bought another the first thing that I would do is install a pumper!

Spend the $400.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #20
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
What are they hydraulic or something? Or do you mean to make sure you adjust them on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke?

no. I tryed at the very lest 10 times to adjust them on mine with filler gauges. i finely stopped trying to do it that way because there's no way in hell to get a filler gauge under the tapit strait on that head. it's just not possible. I do them the old fashioned way, by feel. you have to get them where you just barly can feel and maybe hear them tap by wiggling them. also they are stupidly hard to hold still when you tighten them down. the first time will take a wile, but once you get them right its easy from there, i can do them in about 30 minuets now. I did my 82 XL500R this way and I can crank it with a 10.5/1 compression piston in flipflops. one kick every time.

the carb might need cleaning but do not lessen to anyone here about buying a freaking thing until you check a few things that are free.

1. clean the carp, do NOT get carb cleaner on the diafram. it's not cheep
2. set the valves.
3 new spark plug
4, make sure it's firing
5.check for water in the gas.

do not kick it over and over and over and over.

cold choke it, rotate the motor over 7 times. don't kick it just push the kick starter down 7 times to rotate the motor. find top dead center. if you cant feel TDC keep easing it over until you do. actully kick it only on TDC and other kick is a wast.

also the air fuel on teh front bottom of the carb should start at 2 1/4 turns out. if it's somewhere close to that when you clean it put it back where it was if it's way off that set it there to get started.

again i offer if you PM me i'll give you my cell number and i'll walk you through this. i raced one for 4 years fighting this problem every race. 2 years later i learned what was going on and have fixed 10 of these motors.

i have one in pieces in my shop right now. i wish i had one whole. i miss mine.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
Washpa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I had the same struggles recently with a XR250R....Here is what got me going
  1. Replaced the kill switch it was shorting out.
  2. Replaced the jets, +1 size
  3. learned the complex starting process
Starting process.
  1. pull comp lever, kick slowly 6-8 times
  2. Choke on
  3. Turn up idle screw
  4. Full throttle kick slow twice
  5. find TDC
  6. no thottle
  7. kick
It went to barely starting in 40-50 kicks to a one kicker!
Washpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #22
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,525
I found at timies it was easiest if I flooded it on purpose. Then with the motor flooded open the throttle WOT. Keep the throttle in this position. Choke OFF. Find TDC, push just slightly passed 1/8 of turn on the kicker. Then kick hard. Should be running by the 2nd kick. Again do not let the throttle loose between kick or you will add more fuel. It seems hard but it really isn't.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #23
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 445
If it makes you feel better:)

If it makes you feel better, I own a 85 Yamaha TT600N that can be a bear to starts, sometime first kick sometimes the 100th. It seem there is a direct ratio of number of people watching me to the number of kicks it takes. Just when I think I have found the starting ritual, it stop working and I have to find a new way to start the Antichrist.
My hundred pound Chocolate Lab that feared nothing was scared to death of the bike, he would want to go in the house anytime I pulled the Antichrist out of the shed.
My wife name the bike the Antichrist as she said the bike will kill me, either by a heart attack kick starting or it being more bike than I can handle.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #24
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,019
I had an old XL350R that was a bear to start. I finally found if sitting for more than a few days it would start a lot easier if I drained the float bowl to allow fresh gas in.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #25
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer

Laugh

I...well....am a idiot. As I thought it was operator error (please do not ask what I did wrong). Nonetheless I listed my XR400 and it looks like I already sold it

I have posted this elsewhere on the forum but since I have your attention here are the bikes I am considering. My primary riding will be on dirt roads and such. My plan is to do some camping with it this year.

1. XT 250
2. KLX250S
3. DRZ400 (S/SM/E if its titled already)

I need to stay below $3400

Thanks again y'all!

Jeff G
Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
My starting ritual is like this... "Never touch the throttle" Always use full kicks from TDC.

Really cold start: Advance idle screw 3/4 turn, Choke on four kicks holding the kill switch. then it will usually at least pop's the first kick, second kick it's running. Do Not Touch Throttle, just work the choke till it's running smoothly.

Cold start, advance idle screw 3/4 turn, kick once or twice with full choke, just work the choke till it's running smoothly.

Warm start, just TDC and a good kick. one full kick and she's goin...

Down start, use compression release to clean excess gas by kicking a few time and "rub the rabbits foot" hanging from your bars and hope for the best. It's always a real bitch when on a hillside so it's best to turn downhill and bump it on the way down.

In extreme cases if it is going to run it will bump-start.

I have found that most of the starting problems are human error, of some kind ! However she can be tempermental at times!
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #27
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennepinboy View Post
If it makes you feel better, I own a 85 Yamaha TT600N that can be a bear to starts, sometime first kick sometimes the 100th. It seem there is a direct ratio of number of people watching me to the number of kicks it takes. Just when I think I have found the starting ritual, it stop working and I have to find a new way to start the Antichrist.
My hundred pound Chocolate Lab that feared nothing was scared to death of the bike, he would want to go in the house anytime I pulled the Antichrist out of the shed.
My wife name the bike the Antichrist as she said the bike will kill me, either by a heart attack kick starting or it being more bike than I can handle.