User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
HighwayMiles OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Temps spiking with Thermo Mod

I was riding on the beach today and noticed my temperature needle was touching the "H." It was about 35 degrees outside, and I hadn't been on the beach for very long, so I was quite surprised to discover the motor on my '06 KLR running so hot. I pulled over and checked all the fluid levels and inspected for leaks, but found nothing. The gauge is accurate, and I can find no discernible defects in either the thermo mod or the coolant system itself.

Until I did the Thermo-mod from ProCycle, I never had a problem like this. Any ideas on what my next step should be? I'll probably just remove the thermo, but not wasting the money I spent on it would be nice. I only bought it because the bike ran too cold on the highway, but that's better than running too hot.
HighwayMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,790
Are you sure the fan was working, could you hear it running ?

How long ago did you install the thermo kit ? If you just installed it, double check it's all done properly.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Is the ThermoMod a variation of the original ThermoBob,ie a bypass hose addition to the cooling system?

The Thermobob was never about curing an overHEATING problem, rather it is to bring the engine up to a normal operating temp and maintain, as far as possible, that temperature wheil the engine is running.

I have a thermobob in my '08 KLR and it performes exactly as intended. However recently on a ride the temps on the guage ran straight up to the red and stayed there. What I found was the waterpump impeller nut had loosened and basically the cooling system reverted to thermosyphon, with no pump function. That still got me home. I love the old crate.
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,678
I had to "burp" it to get air out of the system after I installed mine. IIRC, I had to get hot enough to circulate through the radiator (not bypass) with the radiator cap off then add antifreeze until full.

I hope this helps and good luck.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
HighwayMiles OP
Adventurer

Yep, I installed it correctly with a friend's help. It has worked fine for the past ~300 miles, and it wasn't until today that I encountered any problem at all. I drove the bike back to pavement, shut it off for a few minutes and everything was fine. It did seem to run a little warmer on the ride home, but still left of center.

How would I know if the water pump or fan was not functioning? Like I said, I burped the system when I installed it and let it idle until the fan came on, so this is some kind of new problem. Externally I can't detect any change at all, so I'm not exactly sure what happened or how to prevent it from happening again. I'm already spooked though; I loved my KLR because it always got me home, and if it only costs me $120 to preserve that then goodbye thermo mod.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
You should be able to hear the fan running if the temp guage is at the top. Or look into the opening in the left side cover and see it spinning. Or stick your finger in ...
Gen 1s have different fan wiring to Gen 2s - information here http://www.klrforum.com/archive/index.php/t-13364.html

You could remove the three bolts holding the waterpump cover on and see if you can turn the impeller with your fingers (motor stopped of course) Use caution when tightening the impeller nut - the shaft breaks easily and is expensive. see here http://www.klr650.marknet.us/wpump.html Torque the retaining nut to 9.8n-m / 87in-lbs / 7.25ft-lbs.
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
HighwayMiles OP
Adventurer

The fan does work. I didn't hear it on the beach because of the ear plugs, helmet, etc., but I let it idle in the garage today and the fan clicks on when the temps climb. For the bike to get that hot while moving in ~30 degree weather means (in my opinion) that there was a more significant problem than the fan not turning on. I did remove the water pump cover when I installed the thermo mod, but everything checked out in there as well.

What's the next step here? Let the bike idle for 20 or 30 minutes, longer, and see what happens? I wasn't on the beach that long, and as beach driving isn't exactly sanctioned, I'm not likely to repeat the process in the near future.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
HighwayMiles OP
Adventurer

Update

I'm back to stock. If anyone wants to buy a Thermo-mod let me know

I think the problem was that the mod was working too well, circulating too much coolant around the motor instead of sending it to the radiator. Normally it's not a problem, but taxing the motor on the beach without significant airflow caused a bit of a temperature spike. Thanks for the help everyone, it is much appreciated!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
DustyOne
Riding@6500' & up

Oddometer: 379
dont give up so easily, I am sure this can be resolved.

why don't you ask the mods to move this over to "the experts section"????
you know, the KLR650 section

ALSO......if you haven't already, post up your problem directly into the
www.klr650.net

you will get way more eyes on your post if you involve the klr guys directly
by going into these 2 forums, rather than just the THUMPERS Forum you are now at..
DustyOne is offline   Reply With Quote