ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,871
NJ new 2013 MC-DL test law

I hadn't seen this one here, haven't confirmed it is true yet.

New NJ motorcycle law for 2013

NEW MOTORCYCLE LAW GOES INTO EFFECT TODAY - if you take the NJ MVC road test on a scooter or motorcycle with less than 231 cc's, you will get a restriction on your Driver License that only allows you to ride a motorcycle that is less than 500cc's. If you want to ride a motorcycle that is more than 500cc's, you will have to take the MVC road test again on a bigger motorcycle or take the MSF Basic RiderCourse (BRC). This new restriction does not apply if you take the BRC. The NJMVC is trying to help reduce motorcycle accidents by plugging this loophole - letting people take the MVC road test on a scooter and then buying any size motorcycle.

So, be sure to use a 250cc or bigger for the new riders road test!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
dhb400
No Regrets

Oddometer: 182
Thanks for posting this. My wife is taking her road testing on a 250.

dhb400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,853
I took my road test on a BMW R90S!
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
FIDOLLAZ
Dirty D

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
I took my road test on a BMW R90S!
you passed?
FIDOLLAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Navin OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,871
About time you got a license!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
Good. Its about time they did something like this.

Way too many squids get a bike, a bike that is way too much for them, like a 1000CC inline four, or bigger, and go zero to organ donor speed right away.

Like anything else though, its only gonna impact the people that actually follow the laws, and do nothing for the people that do things illegally anyway.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,662
Glad it didn't apply to me...but i dig it!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Bikehigh
Not Dead Yet

Oddometer: 3,597
Take and pass the BRC with a Rebel 250, and you can still go out and get a Busa to total as you're leaving the dealership. At least in Jersey, you'll be wearing a helmet.
Bikehigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Go NJ! Another step towards safety!

A lot of people don't do the basic riders course, so this will either make them take the course (and hopefully improve their skills and awareness) or block them from purchasing a fastER motorcycle right off the bat.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
I think it's a good idea in theory but not here in the US. what if cars were subject to the same restrictions. Ferraris and other high end sport cars can do a bit of damage. Should you prove via test or whatnot you can drive these? At least with motorcycles I can't imagine too many other people getting hurt in accidents except the operator. What about firearms, once you get your permit should you be restricted to handguns and rifles that only shoot .22lr until you can prove you can accurately shoot a target at a designated distance, then be allowed to upgrade?

Tiered systems are great in places where a nanny state exists such as the UK or OZ but here it would lead down a slippery slope. More guberment but I'll save the rest for CS&M
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
I think it's a good idea in theory but not here in the US. what if cars were subject to the same restrictions. Ferraris and other high end sport cars can do a bit of damage. Should you prove via test or whatnot you can drive these? At least with motorcycles I can't imagine too many other people getting hurt in accidents except the operator. What about firearms, once you get your permit should you be restricted to handguns and rifles that only shoot .22lr until you can prove you can accurately shoot a target at a designated distance, then be allowed to upgrade?

Tiered systems are great in places where a nanny state exists such as the UK or OZ but here it would lead down a slippery slope. More guberment but I'll save the rest for CS&M
Trust me, I agree with the less government the better. BUT, that hinges on the premise that people have the ability to govern themselves. The fatality statistics of new riders, under the age of 30, with new 500cc + sport bikes clearly indicates that people do not govern themselves well, especially their throttle hand.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
thomas.tc.young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Trust me, I agree with the less government the better. BUT, that hinges on the premise that people have the ability to govern themselves. The fatality statistics of new riders, under the age of 30, with new 500cc + sport bikes clearly indicates that people do not govern themselves well, especially their throttle hand.
And I just saw a episode of tosh.0 where a guy trying to 1-up his friend shot himself in the scrotum with his 9mm human nature isn't controllable.
thomas.tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
And I just saw a episode of tosh.0 where a guy trying to 1-up his friend shot himself in the scrotum with his 9mm human nature isn't controllable.
Clearly Darwinism at work.

Personally, I think everyone should do at least one track day. Sport bike type or not, it is a great way to learn what your motorcycle will and will not do, in a safe and controlled environment.
Not gonna be a highway hero doing a buck fifty and running into the back of an 18 wheeler on a track day, that is for sure.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #14
rpeterk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
The way the bill was originally written does really nothing for the problem. Unless something was changed you only needed to show up with a 250 cc scooter. So what does that accomplish???? NOTHING!!!! The bill should have been written to make it mandatory that a person uses a motorcycle. It also wouldnt hurt if there was something on the order of what they use in europe along the lines of a cc restriction for a period of time when a person first gets their license. There is nothing about the test that prepares you or verifies your ability to ride a sport bike. Even someone riding an xr80 versus a scooter of any cc would at least prove a persons ability of having the coordination to use the throttle,clutch ,shift and brakes. The one thing they cant teach you is self control. I live on rt 539 and I have guys flying by here all the time at 100+ . The road has driveways about every 250-300 feet and side roads in this area. Any of these could bite them.
http://www.occr.net/
rpeterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeterk View Post
The way the bill was originally written does really nothing for the problem. Unless something was changed you only needed to show up with a 250 cc scooter. So what does that accomplish???? NOTHING!!!! The bill should have been written to make it mandatory that a person uses a motorcycle. It also wouldnt hurt if there was something on the order of what they use in europe along the lines of a cc restriction for a period of time when a person first gets their license. There is nothing about the test that prepares you or verifies your ability to ride a sport bike. Even someone riding an xr80 versus a scooter of any cc would at least prove a persons ability of having the coordination to use the throttle,clutch ,shift and brakes. The one thing they cant teach you is self control. I live on rt 539 and I have guys flying by here all the time at 100+ . The road has driveways about every 250-300 feet and side roads in this area. Any of these could bite them.
I agree. Not because I had to, but it worked out this way..I started out on a Honda Nighthawk 450, then couple years later went to a Katana 600..and then years after that got my SV1000 and a year or two later picked up a GSXR600 for my track bike. THEN, I got into dirtbikes...and started hurting myself