User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
polson OP
2 wheels !!!!

Oddometer: 240
Need Camera purchase Advice

I need help from those wiser than me. I am looking to get a better camera to take with me on my rides. I currently have a canon G7 and HD go pro. I was reviewing Chitown's thread and it got me to thinking that I could do a lot better with my photo's.

I will keep the HD go pro, love this camera, but I thought I would go for the best within reason for the second camera. Two thoughts, one get the canon g1x, the second would be to go with something like the canon 5d mark ii or similiar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
polson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,928
Some alternatives to the G1X http://www.dpreview.com/articles/236...pact-cameras/9
to consider.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
That'sLife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I regularly carry a Canon S95 with me on the bike. It's an earlier version of the S110. I love it and I am quite impressed with it. I also own a Canon 60D DSLR but I only take it if I am going out for the purpose of taking photos.

The S powershot series have a larger sensor than most point and shoot cameras. They also have better manual controls and can shoot RAW format. I would say similar to the G series only smaller.

Like GSWayne suggested, dpreview is an excellent site for reviews. Most manufacturers make comparable models to the Canons.

Good luck! Remember, the best camera is the one that you have with you.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,451
What is your photography background?
Sounds like you have a couple good cameras already.
Maybe take a digital photo course or two from your local community college or camera shop or online.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
midfat
wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer: 203
Second on the Canon S95. I actually have the S90, which is an earlier version of the S95. It's an awesome little camera - pic quality is fabulous and with a 2.0 aperture, its low light performance is pretty impressive. If you want a "pocketable" point and shoot with great performance, the Canon S95 is nearly unbeatable.
midfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
polson OP
2 wheels !!!!

Thanks for the replies.

I am considering the pentax k-5. It seems like a very high level camera I can grow into and quite a leap from the G-7. Although, somewhat bigger that the canon G series.

Any thoughts regarding this camer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
+1 what JR said. I've taken some pretty good photos with an older 3GS iphone; it depends on the lighting, how much time you have, how much patience you have. Better equipment will always give you more options, but hauling $5000 of camera equipment on a motorcycle would make me nervous. One thing I have learned is, no matter how good your equipment, the hardest thing is to have the camera completely still when you push that button. Get a good collapsible monopod.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
nwcycle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Need more info to help

Are you looking for a DSLR, or a point and shoot?, what price range?
There are so many choices, DPReview is an awesome site that does side by side comparisons.
I had found that a later model point and shoots are awesome, keep top of tank bag, or pocket, take great shots now with a zillion pixels etc, the larger Nikon S8200 is an awesome bike camera, and I had just purchased a Nikon 1V2 for my son, They got the but too...
I am primarily a Nikon fan, for the higher end ones for the handling and glass,
I love Canon, just what floats your boat, Do some research , but look for the size of the sensor, for the best overall shots vs price,
Example I would rather have a 1"sensor 10 MP, than a smaller sensor higher Mega P........ Hope this helps.....
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
polson OP
2 wheels !!!!

My thoughts were to keep the go pro as my point and shoot and to get a much higher quality camera to help push me to learn ad take better photos.

I was considering using the tank bag with extremely good insulation, or even a pelixan case for the higher end camera.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
If I had it to do again, I would take a course on photography basics and/or read a lot about how to take/compose a picture. Then maybe I wouldn't have a shit-ton of pictures stored that I don't have the time to go through and probably wouldn't have spent so much on equipment I don't now use. It looks like you already have some cool ideas from a creative standpoint
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
Fuji

I'm pleased with my Fuji X10 because of it's jacket pocket size and it full range of both manual settings and auto functions. The Fuji manual is useless so get a copy of Alexander White's guide ot X10 from amazon.com.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote