User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #136
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,837
Jermaine Jones is out for the US. 25 lineups in 25 matches for Jurgen.

I doubt the friendly win in Azteca last August will make much difference to today's match. The place was empty that day. Today it should be a cauldron of hate, urine and vomit. Those are some nasty fans down there.

On the plus side the US should be OK with the altitude, after playing in Denver. The temp should reasonable, in the 60's. Also, Mexico has been stumbling along. This might be a good time to catch them.

On the other hand, the smog. Also. this might be just the kind of match, against a hated rival, that gets Mexico going again. Also, Klinsmann's habit of changing the backline and putting untested combinations out there is not a great idea against high-octane Mexico. No question he needs to find better defenders than the US had under Bradley. The defense was a weakness. But this is a tough time to be experimenting. I worry.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #137
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 48,354
This WC qualifier will be a big test and it might answer some serious questions for the direction for the U.S. team.

I’m curious to see if they come out with fire looking for a win or if they come out with a primarily defensive mind-set that would gladly take a draw.

I’ve always preferred the aggressive approach but they need some confidence to go into the game with an aggressive game plan. (Is it there?)
And with points being the primary objective I can see how 1 point would be important but IMO laying back and trying to weather the inevitable storm that that style invites isn’t a very attractive way to play.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #138
wxwax
Excited Member

It's not Klinsmann's nature to sit back and absorb. So I would imagine the US will try to play a bit.

Not sure that's a great idea, though. Mexico clearly has the more talented players. With the home energy, if you give them space (by trying to play attacking football) they may well get an early goal and doom the US. Frustrating them might be a good way to start the game.

Mexico is also going through a less-than-inspiring spell. As Tyler Twellman says, the home crowd will be baying for blood. If you can frustrate the home team and its fans for half an hour, they might turn on their own team for not living up to expectations.

If that happens, then the home crowd has been taken out of the match and you have a better chance of snagging a breakaway goal and stealing a point or three.

I have no problem with a conservative game plan, especially on the road. Make them break you down. The more men they throw forward, the more space they leave for the counter.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #139
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Jermaine Jones is out for the US. 25 lineups in 25 matches for Jurgen.

I doubt the friendly win in Azteca last August will make much difference to today's match. The place was empty that day. Today it should be a cauldron of hate, urine and vomit. Those are some nasty fans down there.

On the plus side the US should be OK with the altitude, after playing in Denver. The temp should reasonable, in the 60's. Also, Mexico has been stumbling along. This might be a good time to catch them.

On the other hand, the smog. Also. this might be just the kind of match, against a hated rival, that gets Mexico going again. Also, Klinsmann's habit of changing the backline and putting untested combinations out there is not a great idea against high-octane Mexico. No question he needs to find better defenders than the US had under Bradley. The defense was a weakness. But this is a tough time to be experimenting. I worry.
Jones is injured, so that's hardly Klinsmann's fault.

Germany - Kazakhstan tonight was quite a snooze fest. Beautiful game from Germany at times, but traffic cones would have been harder opposition. 4-1 doesn't reflect the dominance. The Kazakhs had all their players in the box at times. Their best defender blocked 5 shots. Goalpost was the name.

The boredom drove Neuer mad enough to add in a howler by playing risky .
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #140
wxwax
Excited Member

Defensive about Klinsmann?

I know, Jones is already back in Germany. And thanks to an injury to centerback Goodson, the US may have discovered its centerbacks of the future. Omar Gonzalez and Matt Besler played really well. So did Edu and Bradley in midfield, although I get frustrated by how long they linger on the ball, getting dispossessed in dangerous areas. In goal, it wouldn't bother me a bit if Guzan took over from Howard.

Turns out this was a great time to catch Mexico at Azteca. The crowd wasn't a factor. And despite a lot of possession and fine play by Aquino on the right (against neophyte emergency left back DeMarcus Beasley) Mexico was never able to turn its threats into goals.

Two penalty shouts, both denied, and I'm OK with both. No-one but the ref seems to care than Edu got the ball on the second challenge.

Overall, an incredibly valuable point for the United Sates and only the second time they've gained a point in Mexico City in World Cup qualifying. So an historic night, albeit one that felt a bit anticlimactic.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #141
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Defensive about Klinsmann?

Not really. He is an awful coach.

0-0 in Mexico sounds like a good result, though.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #142
wxwax
Excited Member

I will give Klinsmann one thing as a coach: he seems to be inspirational. He's a naturally positive man and his outlook and belief inevitably infect his players.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #143
wxwax
Excited Member

ps It's nice to see that former USA coach Bob Bradley has Egypt 3-0 in World Cup qualifying, despite Egypt's turmoil and despite being forced to play in empty stadiums at home.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #144
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
After last nights performance, I may have to chance the title of the thread. Seriously, I HATE hoofing the ball after passing back 5 times.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #145
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,693
Quote:
I will give Klinsmann one thing as a coach: he seems to be inspirational. He's a naturally positive man and his outlook and belief inevitably infect his players.
Then they should be diving any day now
Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #146
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
I think it is rather a honeymoon. At the moment everybody is stroking his big ego. Once this stops, he'll be his petulant self again.

Regardless, I don't think I've seen a better penalty taker - case in point his one against Malta last night. The man is cool as a cucumber. In fact, has he ever missed one in a match?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #147
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Regardless, I don't think I've seen a better penalty taker - case in point his one against Malta last night. The man is cool as a cucumber. In fact, has he ever missed one in a match?
With his bipolar behavior, he'll fall in a depression for a few month the first time he misses.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #148
ThePikeman
German n00b

Might be geoblocked, but worth a try.
First half between Germany and Kazakhstan.
http://www.ardmediathek.de/das-erste...entId=13881654

Minutes 20 to 32 are my recommendation.

Otherwise here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg-IuihsvkY

Old 03-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #149
wxwax
Excited Member

Germany are a really talented team. I read that they played without a striker the last two matches. That's interesting for any team not named Barca or Spain. It also make sense. After watched Mario Gomez choke in the Champions League final against Chelsea, I have a feeling some stages are too big for him.

Europe is looking interesting. France looked very sporty against Spain. Some of their passing was exquisite. Before he was sent off, young Pogba looked like a star.

Italy have something cooking. And no stage is too big for Balotelli, who apparently finds inspiration in wearing the national colors.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #150
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Germany are a really talented team. I read that they played without a striker the last two matches. That's interesting for any team not named Barca or Spain. It also make sense. After watched Mario Gomez choke in the Champions League final against Chelsea, I have a feeling some stages are too big for him.

Europe is looking interesting. France looked very sporty against Spain. Some of their passing was exquisite. Before he was sent off, young Pogba looked like a star.

Italy have something cooking. And no stage is too big for Balotelli, who apparently finds inspiration in wearing the national colors.
Playing without striker is mostly useful against very defensive teams.
I was mostly impressed, because the team didn't have very long to train this very much. It is mostly pure skill that leads to these combinations.
Wasn't a very nice night either, with slight frost.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: