Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #211
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
How they missed Dortmunds second as off-side is beyond me. Nothing marginal about it.
Nothing marginal about it, but I think easy to understand. Referees are expected to watch for offsides in a huddle, and for fouls aso.
Offside rule consideres the second to last player as the important one. The goalkeeper stormed out and the last man was a "normal" player. Referees probably ignore the goalkeeper in that regard and only look for the last outfield player. That was the one in front of Santana.

As said, doesn't really matter, since the second Malaga goal was offside too. I also think Dortmund went on quite deservedly.

There will be an absolute first. A game with tactical qualities at Wembley.

Edit: Did you talk about Dortmund - Real?

ThePikeman screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 10:34 AM
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #212
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,848
Two of Dortmund's goals against Malaga were offside, not just the one.

I have no idea what the back line official does. No idea whatsoever. They never seem to contribute. They stare blankly at the ref at all times, especially when a big decision has to be made.

UEFA officiating is just awful. I also contest any claim that the game is too fast. It's not that much faster than in the 70's, even though the pitches are in significantly better condition.

Speed of play had nothing to do with missing Dortmund's blatant offside, Malaga's equally blatant offside, nor the phantom penalty awarded against Chelsea, nor the numerous other awful officiating mistakes. It's ridiculous how badly these matches are officiated.

I don't believe in electronic aids for anything other than goal line disputes. The problem with video review is that it raises expectations -- people will expect perfect calls. And as we see in US sports that have video review, perfection is never attainable. Mistakes will still be made. But good lord, something has to be done.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan

wxwax screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 11:50 AM
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #213
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
There will be an absolute first. A game with tactical qualities at Wembley.

Really?

I assume you've never watched Swansea, Wigan, Liverpool, Manchester United, Stoke City, Chelsea... the list goes on. It's been a long time since English football was thump it up the pitch and chase it. Don't conflate pace and energy for a lack of tactical nous.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #214
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Stoke? Tactics? Man you're a funny one!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #215
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
Stoke? Tactics? Man you're a funny one!
They're a very tactical team. You may not like their tactics, but they are extremely disciplined in executing them. I'm not saying you do this, but a lot of people seem to confuse tactics with attacking football.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #216
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
They're a very tactical team. You may not like their tactics, but they are extremely disciplined in executing them. I'm not saying you do this, but a lot of people seem to confuse tactics with attacking football.
Break, block and hoof to Crouch isn't a tactic.

I do like a good defensive display. Key players get partly man marked, zones are taken by players, when they leave another one keeps it secure. Forcing the attacking team to where you want them. Defensive tactics in short.
That's why I was so critical of Chelsea last year. Two horizontally moving banks of four and last ditch tackles aren't a tactic.
Restricting Barca to two shots on target is a defensive tactic.

From a tactical point of view, EPL is a few years back. That was plastered over by financial ability to buy better individual players, isn't enough anymore though. Individual ability does not always work against a disciplined team effort.
That doesn't mean that the EPL won't be up on top again, but that will require better tactics. Financially weaker teams like Swansea need better team tactics to keep up. Tottenham does play better than their players would suggest through more accomplished tactics.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #217
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
I do like a good defensive display. Key players get partly man marked, zones are taken by players, when they leave another one keeps it secure. Forcing the attacking team to where you want them. Defensive tactics in short.
You just described exactly how Chelsea played their last three CL matches last season. They forced play wide, denied the middle, covered zones with discipline and energy. A fantastic display.

It's obvious to even a moderately knowledgeable observer that Bayern and Barca both had ladles more talent on the pitch last season than did Chelsea.

And it's obvious to most people who care that Bayern are a deeper, more complete team compared to Barca this season.

So comparing shot totals -- or even goals conceded -- between Chelsea and Bayern versus Barca is a pointless exercise.

Chelsea over-perfomed using tactically sound, team defensive strategies. Did they have fortune on their side? You bet. Most successful teams do. Where would Dortmund be today without luck against Malaga?

Against two teams decidedly better than they were, Chelsea won the Champions League.

How did Chelsea overcome their manpower deficiency? Good tactics.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #218
wxwax
Excited Member

I despair of FIFA ever eliminating corruption. But it's nice to see them turn on themselves.

Anyone who's been following the travails of CONCACAF's Jack Warner knows he was caught red-handed giving out envelopes stuffed with money to buy delegate votes.

In a slow-moving process, Warner has plotted his revenge for being kicked out of FIFA. He now claims to have proof that Blatter -- through his corrupt predecessor Joao Havelange -- paid Warner 4 million pounds to secure enough votes to win Blatter the FIFA presidency.

I hope Wanrer has the documents he claims to have. It might finally force Blatter out in disgrace. And perhaps even lead to a more thorough examination of how Qatar was awarded the World Cup. Not holding my breath, though.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #219
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,694
Quote:
Nothing marginal about it, but I think easy to understand.
I stand corrected. Your Gif shows he was just on-side.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #220
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I despair of FIFA ever eliminating corruption. But it's nice to see them turn on themselves.

Anyone who's been following the travails of CONCACAF's Jack Warner knows he was caught red-handed giving out envelopes stuffed with money to buy delegate votes.

In a slow-moving process, Warner has plotted his revenge for being kicked out of FIFA. He now claims to have proof that Blatter -- through his corrupt predecessor Joao Havelange -- paid Warner 4 million pounds to secure enough votes to win Blatter the FIFA presidency.

I hope Wanrer has the documents he claims to have. It might finally force Blatter out in disgrace. And perhaps even lead to a more thorough examination of how Qatar was awarded the World Cup. Not holding my breath, though.
if this was an American sports organization, there would be DA's lining up to prosecute. Corrupt from top to bottom.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #221
ThePikeman
German n00b

Initially I was hoping for a quiet evening with barbeque and some light football entertainment.
More like this:

Balotelli eating his words would have been nearly worth it though.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #222
ThePikeman
German n00b

And Madrid invested in quality materials for their goals after the last "incident" at the Bernabeau.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #223
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

So, a Dortmund - Barcelona Final.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #224
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
So, a Dortmund - Barcelona Final.
That's as likely as Ramos or Chiellini winning a tackle without elbow.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #225
ThePikeman
German n00b

BTW. I hope nobody bought tickets for the matches of the German NT against the USA on 2. june. Though that might be a match the USMNT could really win.

Lw has to figure out a team without players from Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Stuttgart, Real Madrid, Lazio Rome or players from the U21 national team.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: