Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #226
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,634
Now that was a relaxed evening.

The most embarrassing thing tonight? The Barca defense being fooled by Robben's known trick. I know, he does that well, but it's his expected trick!

Borussia Dortmund - Bayern Munich in the champions league final at Wembley.

I'll watch the second team preview on saturday.

P.S. Do you think that Ronaldo now has an allergy to consonants after playing against Piszczek and Błaszczykowski?
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #227
BMWBILO
Snapperhead

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
BTW. I hope nobody bought tickets for the matches of the German NT against the USA on 2. june. Though that might be a match the USMNT could really win.

Löw has to figure out a team without players from Borussia Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Stuttgart, Real Madrid, Lazio Rome or players from the U21 national team.
That sucks! I have tickets to the game, going to travel all the way
from Boise,Idaho to Washington DC to see the game. I figured it would
be the only time in my life time that I would get to see the Germans
play live. Why no players from Dortmund? They are not in the German
cup like Bayern is. I knew I wouldn't get to see any of the Bayern players.
As far as the US winning, I think the German womens national team could
give the US mens team a run for the money.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #228
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBILO View Post
That sucks! I have tickets to the game, going to travel all the way
from Boise,Idaho to Washington DC to see the game. I figured it would
be the only time in my life time that I would get to see the Germans
play live. Why no players from Dortmund? They are not in the German
cup like Bayern is. I knew I wouldn't get to see any of the Bayern players.
As far as the US winning, I think the German womens national team could
give the US mens team a run for the money.

Dortmund plays the Champions League final. That wasn't really expected. It is not clear yet, if they'll travel after the team.

The Lineup will lack a bit of creative spark, but it won't be a bad team.
Expect a midfield of Draxler (Schalke), Neustädter (Schalke) and Lars Bender (Leverkusen). Draxler has a certain beauty and elegance to everything he does on the field, Neustädter and Bender are more defensive and industrious than creative, but very capable Box to Box players.
CBs will probably be Höwedes (Schalke) and Mertesacker (Arsenal). Fullbacks... now that is a real question. Could be Janker or Aogo (both Hamburg), Konstantin Rausch (Hannover). Maybe even Oczipka from Frankfurt, though he slacked a bit in the second part of the season. Gonzalo Castro (Leverkusen) might play anywhere on any wing or in midfield (poor guys versatility is a curse for him, getting shuffled around).
Wingers... Schürrle (Leverkusen) will get the left wing. Podolski will probably get his left ankle fixed.
Won't be a bad team, but nothing special. Be happy about it... German players seem to be in trouncing mood.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #229
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,838
This is a golden age for German talent. Some really impressive players on the scene right now. As with Spain (and Barca,) Germany (and Bayern) need to win a World Cup or two while this generation is in its prime. There are parallels between the two national teams and this is the time for Germany to capitalize.

For me, it starts with Bayern winning the CL, which I assume they will do. They are rampant right now.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #230
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
This is a golden age for German talent. Some really impressive players on the scene right now. As with Spain (and Barca,) Germany (and Bayern) need to win a World Cup or two while this generation is in its prime. There are parallels between the two national teams and this is the time for Germany to capitalize.

For me, it starts with Bayern winning the CL, which I assume they will do. They are rampant right now.
The slightly scary thing is, that the next generation is considered even better. Schweinsteiger and Lahm for example aren't even players that got the full "new" education. Leon Goretzka, Gündogan, Kroos, Holtby are the players that have the technical and tactical abilities together with great positional sense.

If, for once, the best team of the tournament wins, Bayern will win.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #231
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
I thought Germany looked damn good in 2010 as well. They were my favorite team to watch anyways.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #232
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
If, for once, the best team of the tournament wins, Bayern will win.
Sour grapes.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #233
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
I thought Germany looked damn good in 2010 as well. They were my favorite team to watch anyways.
I grew up watching the Germany of Beckenbauer. I therefore associate German football with excellence and winning. So for me, the puzzle over the last decade is why they've been falling short and haven't won a title. I would think that will change in Brazil. Normally you'd favor the home team, but Brazil do not have a strong side at the moment.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #234
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,633
Quote:
I grew up watching the Germany of Beckenbauer. I therefore associate German football with excellence and winning. So for me, the puzzle over the last decade is why they've been falling short and haven't won a title. I would think that will change in Brazil. Normally you'd favor the home team, but Brazil do not have a strong side at the moment.
The Argentinians are looking good too and they have a big incentive to win on Brazilian soil.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #235
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
More unexpected than really good. A fast side, brilliant on the counter, but not much more. The team has improved tremendously to being able to break down defensive opposition in addition to countering. It is a necessary move to a possession based approach. Defensive teams don't let you counter.

Dortmund is developing this plan B, too.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #236
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
The Argentinians are looking good too and they have a big incentive to win on Brazilian soil.
Is there the notion involved that the soil in question should be their soil or is it simple rivalry? South America definitely isn't part of my expertise.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #237
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Is there the notion involved that the soil in question should be their soil or is it simple rivalry? South America definitely isn't part of my expertise.
I would think that Argentina would be no more comfortable in Brazil that Germany would be in France. Maybe less so, since it's an enormous and bitter rivalry.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #238
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
I would think that Argentina would be no more comfortable in Brazil that Germany would be in France. Maybe less so, since it's an enormous and bitter rivalry.
Germans visited France quite regularly over the centuries and vis versa.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #239
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,633
Quote:
Brazil - Argentine football rivalry is long run and at times fierce - it's not so much a history rooted in martial rivalry but more the two dominant regional nations scraping over bragging rights.

Everything could change but I see this Argentinian team peaking at the right time. The Brazilians have been unimpressive so far (Neymar is the latest desperate attempt to find the next Pele, he seems very overrated to me, the occasional wonder goal aside).
Old 05-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #240
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Germans visited France quite regularly over the centuries and vis versa.
Indeed. I misunderstood your initial question. No, Argentina is not Germany. They've had military clashes but nothing extraordinary.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: