User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #271
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,872
I appreciate that you're exaggerating for effect, but it makes me loathe to engage you in a discussion.

Rafa's a decent manager but he's at the wrong club and he's doing no more than would be expected of any manager with the wealth of talent at his disposal. Indeed, there's little evidence that di Matteo wouldn't have the club in exactly the same position.

He has not been a particularly good defensive manager. The number of late goals that Chelsea have conceded is alarming. Spurs being only the latest such example. That game, like others, was won.

Luiz has made rash challenges in the past and continues to do so, even under Rafa. He just hasn't had Gary Neville drawing them to your attention this season.

Torres has a decent goals total this season. But anyone who actually watches the matches -- and I never, ever miss one -- will tell you that his pace, his touch, his decision making and his dribbling are really pretty bad. He occasionally passes the ball well. But in terms of overall skills, he's a shadow of himself. He is no longer a premier striker.

It is to the credit of Chelsea fans, especially those who are able to go to matches at Stamford Bridge, that they have been solidly behind Torres through most of his struggles.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #272
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
It is to the credit of Chelsea fans, especially those who are able to go to matches at Stamford Bridge, that they have been solidly behind Torres through most of his struggles.

I like your posts, and respect what you say on the forums. But this has to be the absolute WORST thing you've probably ever typed in your life. They have made his life a living hell. Thats almost as bad as saying they've gotten behind Rafa.

And the exaggeration wasn't terrible. I've got stats mixed in with it!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #273
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
I'm sorry. That last post was a bit harsh. But I think you have an optimistic view of the atmosphere of the Bridge. I really do value your posts on this forum, you're a great supporter. I just wished all supporters were like you. Unfortunately they are very fickle.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #274
wxwax
Excited Member

Until this season, Torres had gotten huge hands at Stamford Bridge. They'd supported him consistently. Never booed him. Always applauded when he was brought on as a sub. Always cheered when he did something good. Personally, I think they were a bit star struck by him. They really, really wanted him to succeed.

In the past off-season he made a couple of comments which didn't sound appreciative of the fan support he'd been getting. It's my belief that those comments, along with yet another poor start, combined to sour fans' feeling towards him.

Now fans are eager to see him and his gigantic, unearned salary go away. He's a drain on the budget.

On the pitch, he has clearly passed his peak and he will never again be the striker he was for Atletico and Liverpool. I don't know what the injury (or injuries) he picked up in 2009-10, they've always been a bit mysterious about it. It may have been a knee, which would make sense. But its effect was to kill his pace. He was poor for Liverpool and Spain before Chelsea bought him, and he's been mostly poor for Chelsea.

Turns out that without his pace, the rest of his game falls apart. He's not technically gifted in tight spaces. When he runs at people now, it's like he keeps finding dead end alleys. He doesn't seem to read the game as well as a Lampard, in that he often doesn't run to the right space for a cross. That's very frustrating to watch, balls go begging which he should be on the end of.

All that's left is his instinct to shoot when the ball arrives at his feet, and even that suffers because of his low confidence. He ends up taking touches he shouldn't.

All that being said, no Chelsea fan will ever, ever forget this moment.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #275
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,662
As you brought up Barcelona

I'm continually shocked by the manner with which they seem to needlessly wear Messi out this season. He played on the weekend and aggravated his hamstring in a match that meant nothing - they had already won the league. They have the final of the Kings cup against Madrid on Friday which is a match that is worth winning and by all accounts he won't be fit.
For Messi's sake, let's hope he has the summer off.

p.s. very interested to see how Pellegrini does at Man City. I thought he did very well with Madrid (he only lost to Barcelona 1-0 which is a lot less than Mourinho on his first few tries) and his record with Malaga and Valencia particularly in Europe is excellent. I'm guessing at a minimum City's expectations are to win the EPL and make it to the quarter finals of the Champions League.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #276
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Now fans are eager to see him and his gigantic, unearned salary go away. He's a drain on the budget.

On the pitch, he has clearly passed his peak and he will never again be the striker he was for Atletico and Liverpool.
It seems Torres cost them Drogba too, who is still better striker than Torres has been since joining Chelsea. What an animal Drogba was
Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #277
wxwax
Excited Member

They do indeed wear Messi down, apparently at his insistence. They shouldn't give into him, lest he burn out Rooney-style (and as I fear Neymar will do.)

IMHO, Drogba was released at the right time. He was magnificent in the big games. But for the both of his last two seasons at Chelsea, he was frequently injured, missed a lot of time and was often a shadow of his former self. He could raise his game for the big moments. But routine, weekly match play was beyond him. Even in the CL with Galatasaray, you could see his lack of pace and reduced strength. Love the man, but his time had come.

I agree re: Pellegrini. If he takes the job, looks like an excellent hire by City. Frankly, I'd prefer him over Mourinho at Chelsea. I shall probably regret having written that!

Copa del Rey is all Madrid, Real beat Barca in the semis. Chance to see Falcao play.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #278
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:

Copa del Rey is all Madrid, Real beat Barca in the semis. Chance to see Falcao play.
WTF, I knew that. What was I thinking? A little too soon for a senior moment
Old 05-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #279
wxwax
Excited Member

Lampard does what Drogba wouldn't; he signs a one year contract, reduced wages. Chelsea's been pretty firm with their over-30 policy. If Terry can still walk after his current deal expires, he'll likely be offered the same. Ash signed a similar deal.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #280
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oh, oh. Lock the doors a certain someone is going to be in here gloating up the place

P.s. both Chelsea's goals were well taken but always nice to see Torres show some of the old form.

JNRobert screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 03:51 PM
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #281
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Interesting breakdown of all MLS salaries

MLS Salaries

No wonder Cahill and Keane came here, almost $4m a piece and not too far behind Henry. I wonder how the journeymen players on less than $50k feel?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #282
wxwax
Excited Member

We know who we are
We know who we aaarrre
Champions of Euope!
We know who we are.

First club to hold both European trophies simultaneously. Benfica played a great game. A few breaks and they win. They had more energy and more accurate passing until the first goal. Thereafter, a more even match. A very entertaining second half.

Now, a score draw home to Everton to secure third place.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #283
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Interesting breakdown of all MLS salaries

MLS Salaries

No wonder Cahill and Keane came here, almost $4m a piece and not too far behind Henry. I wonder how the journeymen players on less than $50k feel?
Yeah, frankly they're not worth it. Not that I watch much MLS. But a league of that quality (poor) has no business paying anyone that much money, IMHO.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #284
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

I'm not exactly Ronaldo's biggest fan, but I do think he was on the receiving end of an injustice today. Kicked to pieces the whole match and finally a Red Card

Nice to see Madrid lose though
Old 05-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #285
wxwax
Excited Member

The ref was truly awful. That said, Ronaldo twice tried to retaliate. He was caught the second time and even tho he didn't make contact, hard to argue with that particular card. But a disgraceful performance by the ref. Can't believe how many times Madrid hit the post. It was not meant to be.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: