Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #346
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
Nah, not taking anything away from the win, but it was a garbage goal. Also his overhead kick was garbage because it came off his shin lol
I agree the over head kick was way overrated. I've looked at the replay on the Brazil goal about fifteen times and it looks good to me . He's never really lived up to his promise has he? Can't help but wonder if he had gone abroad as a young player if he might have developed. But English players never do (go abroad I mean).
Old 06-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #347
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,920
ps It'll be a miracle if Benedikt Howedes ever wears the Germany shirt again. What a horrible own goal.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #348
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
ps It'll be a miracle if Benedikt Howedes ever wears the Germany shirt again. What a horrible own goal.
It was Ter Stegen's own goal. He is quite a good keeper and also great with his feet.
Ter Stegen always gets the shitty games for Germany. Test games when Lw experiments. Third loss in the third cap.

I wasn't really impressed by Lw's first half roster. Reinartz and Sven Bender both take the holding midfield role at their club. The midfield and attack were disjointed without a more advanced defensive midfielder.
ThePikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #349
mancunian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Nah, not taking anything away from the win, but it was a garbage goal. Also his overhead kick was garbage because it came off his shin lol
Yes he must have stole all those medals he won
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #350
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
It was Ter Stegen's own goal. He is quite a good keeper and also great with his feet.
Ter Stegen always gets the shitty games for Germany. Test games when Lw experiments. Third loss in the third cap.
Thanks, my bad. That was a terrible way to concede.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #351
wxwax
Excited Member

What Mourinho Said, and What He Meant

Chelsea officially announced Jose Mourinho's appointment today. They accompanied the announced with an interview on Chelsea TV.

Here's what Mourinho said, and what I think he meant.

What he said: "I’m very happy. I had to prepare myself not to be too emotional for my arrival at the club but obviously I’m very happy."

What he meant: "I'm very happy to find a soft landing after getting dumped out of Madrid. It's nice to be somewhere where the fans are almost entirely uncritical of me. What a nice change that will be"

What he said: "I wanted to win the grand slam, to win in England, Spain and Italy. I did it, I got all the trophies in three countries. I got my second Champions League too."

What he meant: " Damn the luck, I wish Manchester United had hired me. Then I'd have completed my trophy necklace of clubs. But all in all, this is a fine spot to land."

What he said: "I have the same nature but I’m much more mature with a different approach to things, I’m more ready to be in a club and stay for a long time."

What he meant: "If Manchester United fire Moyes, I'm agitating for the job. Otherwise, I'll be here for a while. I may take it easy on Michael Emenalo and the media, but don't bet on it. My nature is to want total control and I have a compulsive need to have an enemy. My true nature will eventually assert itself."

What he said: "To be at the same time a Chelsea fan and a Chelsea manager is a new feeling for me and it’s a fantastic feeling."

What he meant: "Please love me, even if this is obvious pandering."

What he said: "We have to improve the team, and when I say improve the team people are already thinking about how many millions Chelsea are going to spend, and when I say improve the team I am saying improving by work. My work has to improve players and improve the team."

What he meant: "We may buy a few players to address the roster's imbalance, but we've already spent a lot and we have a nucleus of great talent. I'm a very good coach and these players will improve under me. We'll have a united dressing room because we won't have Madrid's politics or prima donnas."

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #352
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,633
^

He's probably temperamentally unsuited to it, but it would be nice to see him do a Ferguson at Chelsea. That and the mad Russian won't allow it
Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #353
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
I wouldn't go and say all the primadonnas stayed in Madrid, one of them just signed to Chelsea!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #354
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
I wouldn't go and say all the primadonnas stayed in Madrid, one of them just signed to Chelsea!
That's fair.

I'm skeptical about this, but nevertheless he's an outstanding coach and the possibility is there for great things to happen.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #355
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Tsk tsk, it was a draw, not a win. Deflected goals count too. And the overhead was a masterpiece of timing. Nobody cares if it comes off a shin, a knee or an ear. Seriously, it was an acrobatic and well taken chance.

Brazil not impressive, but it was just a friendly. To my untrained eye, Brazil have a bad combination of callow youth (e.g. Lucas Moura, Neymar, Oscar), overrated talent (Hulk, Fred,) and over the hill talent (Julio Cesar, Dani Alves.)

Seems to me they have a lot of work to do before they can compete in next year's World Cup.

For me, a newly revitalized Argentina and a Germany in its prime are the main contenders, with a tired Spain perhaps 3rd or 4th. France might surprise.

England just don't have any stars. No hope. Hodgson's system will keep them competitive, but that's about it.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #356
wxwax
Excited Member

Good win for Mexico in Jamaica tonight. They dominated the 2nd half and deserved the win.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #357
BMWBILO
Snapperhead

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post

I wasn't really impressed by Lw's first half roster. Reinartz and Sven Bender both take the holding midfield role at their club. The midfield and attack were disjointed without a more advanced defensive midfielder.
Is it true that they changed Ter Stegens name?
I heard his new name is Marc Andre Ter Eigentor
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #358
wxwax
Excited Member

Huge game for the United States tonight in Jamaica. Jamaica is bottom of the table and if they lose, they'e basically done. So they'll be a desperate, frenzied team. The US is sitting fourth. Both Panama and Mexico have more points than them. So the US also badly needs a win.

It's going to be a very tense affair.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #359
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBILO View Post
Is it true that they changed Ter Stegens name?
I heard his new name is Marc Andre Ter Eigentor
I do not hit on 21 year old keepers for a little howler in a worthless game behind an unknown backline.
ThePikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #360
wxwax
Excited Member

Big win for the United States in Jamaica tonight. Nursing a one goal lead, they concede with regulation time expiring. Then Jamaica falls asleep on a short corner and a wide open Evans smartly gets the winner in added time.

Three points and first place, for now, in the Hexgonal. Jamaica's World Cup hopes are over.

Altidore scores on a superb cross from Zusi, two in two games. What slump?

For the first time since taking over, Klinsmann fields the same team in consecutive matches. Gonzalez and Besler the CB's, decent but some scary moments with balls over the top. Bradley was OK but had some sloppy moments. Dempsey disappeared for much of the second half.

Next match is Tuesday in Seattle, against Panama. ESPN, 10pm.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: