Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #361
BMWBILO
Snapperhead

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
I do not hit on 21 year old keepers for a little howler in a worthless game behind an unknown backline.

It was just a joke. Every goal keeper that plays the game will
make some mistakes that they shouldn't, even the best goalies
in the world. The problem with making a mistake as a goalie is
it usually leads to a goal so it isn't soon forgotten. I'm sure the
kid will do fine. The tough thing in Germany is that they have a
history of great goalkeepers. When they pick their number one
goalie it makes it very hard for the next guy in line to get a chance.
I guess that is a good problem to have as a coach, constant
competition for the starting goal keeper job keeps them sharp.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #362
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,826
You guys can try all you like, you can't put lipstick on that pig. That own goal was about the worst I've ever seen. The ball didn't even bobble. It was 100% the keeper's blunder. He freaked out under pressure.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #363
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
What makes it even worse is Ter Stegen is a great keeper as well.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #364
BMWBILO
Snapperhead

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
What makes it even worse is Ter Stegen is a great keeper as well.

Maybe Klinsmann offered Ter Stegen one of Marion Barry's hookers and
a little nose candy to make a small blunder during the game. I was at
the game and saw it live. Ter Stegen stepped over the ball like he was
trying to make some sort of Gay Ronaldo move. Problem was he didn't realize how close to the goal line he was when he did his stupid step over move. All in all I had to wonder if there were some words between the
coaches before the game. I watched Germany score 4 goals in 23 minutes
against Ecuador the Wednesday prior to the US game. They in no way
came out with the same pace and intensity against the US. To me it looked like the Germans were at a scrimmage and the US was in a must win qualifier. For the US soccer fan that doesn't really know soccer it
was a great game. One of the biggest complaints in this country about soccer is the low scores in games. They got to see 7 goals, 6 real ones and one fluke. They got to see the US beat the Germans. So for those
fans it was great, kind of like the WWF of soccer. There was a winner, but did they really win? I think it helped them for the game against Jamaica. That was very " German like" they way they came back and got the win in Jamaica.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #365
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBILO View Post
It was just a joke. Every goal keeper that plays the game will
make some mistakes that they shouldn't, even the best goalies
in the world. The problem with making a mistake as a goalie is
it usually leads to a goal so it isn't soon forgotten. I'm sure the
kid will do fine. The tough thing in Germany is that they have a
history of great goalkeepers. When they pick their number one
goalie it makes it very hard for the next guy in line to get a chance.
I guess that is a good problem to have as a coach, constant
competition for the starting goal keeper job keeps them sharp.
I know it was a joke. I just think that goalkeepers have a terrible job. The 10 players in front of him fuck up, but if he can't fix the problem, it's his fault.
Neuer is said to blunder a lot, but he is able to restrict these mostly to unimportant or already won games.

The number of very good (still at times inconsistent) and very young keeper in Germany is ridiculous at the moment. 21 year olds Ter Stegen and Bernd Leno at the front with the latter one starting to play his second Champions League and third european season in autumn.
Oliver Baumann, Kevin Trapp and Fabian Giefer are all 22 and have their spot in the first team.

It must be hell for a coach to have more than 3 keepers that are good enough. There are enough stupid cries that Weidenfeller should get a spot. I don't understand, why anybody would want a 32 year old introduced as number 3 of the NT. Better to have one of the young ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
You guys can try all you like, you can't put lipstick on that pig. That own goal was about the worst I've ever seen. The ball didn't even bobble. It was 100% the keeper's blunder. He freaked out under pressure.
I think he lacks the experience to perform behind an unknown backline. The start of the last season behind a "new" backline wasn't his best either. He got much better and more consistent over the season.
Maybe it was a ploy to get the whole game.
It was planned to exchange him for Zieler at halftime. That would have looked bad in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBILO View Post
Maybe Klinsmann offered Ter Stegen one of Marion Barry's hookers and
a little nose candy to make a small blunder during the game. I was at
the game and saw it live. Ter Stegen stepped over the ball like he was
trying to make some sort of Gay Ronaldo move. Problem was he didn't realize how close to the goal line he was when he did his stupid step over move. All in all I had to wonder if there were some words between the
coaches before the game. I watched Germany score 4 goals in 23 minutes
against Ecuador the Wednesday prior to the US game. They in no way
came out with the same pace and intensity against the US. To me it looked like the Germans were at a scrimmage and the US was in a must win qualifier. For the US soccer fan that doesn't really know soccer it
was a great game. One of the biggest complaints in this country about soccer is the low scores in games. They got to see 7 goals, 6 real ones and one fluke. They got to see the US beat the Germans. So for those
fans it was great, kind of like the WWF of soccer. There was a winner, but did they really win? I think it helped them for the game against Jamaica. That was very " German like" they way they came back and got the win in Jamaica.
Please... Ter Stegen is 21, millionaire, fit and rather good looking. There'll be enough fans willing.

The game was a bit odd. Reinartz and Sven Bender are really defensive midfielders that lack creativity. Despite this, the german backline leaked goals like the rivers in Germany leak water at the moment.

The 4:1 really hurt the players pride. It was the last game of the season. 11 players of the German team simply stayed in the US for vacation.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #366
wxwax
Excited Member

Nobody thinks Germany's loss has any significance.

But another World Cup favorite struggled mightily in a true qualifying match. A player sent off and no goals, despite playing at home against Colombia.

Argentines will doubtless complain about officiating and wrongly called offsides. But these days it seems futile to complain about officials getting offside goals wrong. They do it as a matter of routine, and on the biggest stages.

Jamaica's goal against the US was blatantly offside, and on a set-piece too, something that should make it easy for the side judge. And of course, there's BVB's notorious defeat of Malaga in a CL semi.

So the new norm is incompetent officiating on offside calls, and it seems futile to complain about it. It's rampant.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #367
wxwax
Excited Member

Dortmund refuse to sell Lewandowski to Bayern. Love it! Good for them.

Maybe a trip to England is in his future? Chelsea are pretty far down the road to buying Cavani. But Napoli are holding out for his full buyout fee. Maybe this gives Chelsea some leverage?

Dortmund covet DeBruyne. Even though the word is that Mourinho would like to have DeBruyne in London next season, the Belgium might make a nice makeweight in a deal to bring the Pole to Stamford Bridge. And I think DeBruyne wants to play for Dortmund because they're good and he's guaranteed playing time in the run-up to the World Cup, so win-win.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #368
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,621
Quote:
Nobody thinks Germany's loss has any significance.

But another World Cup favorite struggled mightily in a true qualifying match. A player sent off and no goals, despite playing at home against Colombia.

Argentines will doubtless complain about officiating and wrongly called offsides. But these days it seems futile to complain about officials getting offside goals wrong. They do it as a matter of routine, and on the biggest stages.

Jamaica's goal against the US was blatantly offside, and on a set-piece too, something that should make it easy for the side judge. And of course, there's BVB's notorious defeat of Malaga in a CL semi.

So the new norm is incompetent officiating on offside calls, and it seems futile to complain about it. It's rampant.
I thinkk officiating got so much more difficult in the last years. The timing got so good, that players are usually not blatantly offside and balls feeding the players are too long and good to be seen by the ref. Besides that, it gets harder to rule offside, if you are not on the same line with the player in question. Few people can keep up with a football player in full motion.

Quote:
Dortmund refuse to sell Lewandowski to Bayern. Love it! Good for them.

Maybe a trip to England is in his future? Chelsea are pretty far down the road to buying Cavani. But Napoli are holding out for his full buyout fee. Maybe this gives Chelsea some leverage?

Dortmund covet DeBruyne. Even though the word is that Mourinho would like to have DeBruyne in London next season, the Belgium might make a nice makeweight in a deal to bring the Pole to Stamford Bridge. And I think DeBruyne wants to play for Dortmund because they're good and he's guaranteed playing time in the run-up to the World Cup, so win-win.
It is not a bad idea for Dortmund to keep him, or at least not to sell him to the closest competitor. They'd let him go to any other country.

Dortmund likes DeBruyne, but they won't take him as a loan player. They would like to buy him and that's nothing Chelsea will do.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #369
wxwax
Excited Member

Panama-USA tomorrow night on ESPN. For a change, the US should enjoy a true home field advantage. The game's in Seattle, a city home to true and loud fans. Great place to play.

ps The Confederations Cup is being carried in the United States by ESPN. Get your Neymar fix starting Saturday. While you're there, enjoy the greatness of young Oscar. And ask yourself how good David Luiz would be if he stopped lunging for the ball and getting out of position?

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #370
wxwax
Excited Member

For the first time, a column in a major media source is calling for Tim Howard to be replaced. It's at SI.com.

The argument is that Howard hasn't been at his best for a couple of years now. The goal he conceded against Jamaica -- although offside -- didn't help his cause. A deep cross on a free kick, and he stayed planted on his line.

I've always thought that Howard was good, sometimes spectacular, but not great. He makes mistakes.

There is a more than plausible replacement at backup. Brad Guzan was Aston Villa's player of the year. He's younger, equally athletic and a very talented player.

For me, the time may be right.

But for Klinsmann, changing a keeper is a very big deal, as it ought to be. You need stability at that position. A good example of how it can all go wrong is when Hope Solo was benched in the middle of the 2007 World Cup. It threw the team into disarray and they lost to Brazil, with replacement keeper Briana Scurry having a terrible match. The decision cost head coach Greg Ryan his job.

That may be why Klinsmann talks up his keeper at every opportunity. With so much change in front of him, Klinsmann wants his netman to feel secure.

But who knows, the time may be coming. One commenter to that article noted that Klinsmann changed from Oliver Kahn to Jens Lehmann leading into the 2006 World Cup.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #371
wxwax
Excited Member

Mexican fans do their country proud, delaying the game by hurling objects at Costa Rica on a corner kick. You ask me, Mexico ought to forfeit a game for that kind of behavior.

Even more stupid, Mexico players were berating Costa Rica for being unwilling to go to the corner and subject themselves to the barrage.

No honor.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #372
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Thats because Mexico fans are the scum of the Earth. Have you ever seen them in real life? Its even worse than on TV.

Hell of a goal by Eddie Johnson though, and a great ball from Dempsey. And I LOVED the atmosphere, best one I've ever seen at a US game.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #373
wxwax
Excited Member

Agreed, fantastic atmosphere. I knew it would be, Seattle is the best soccer city in the United States.

Some eye opening performances tonight. Jeff Cameron in the pivot was outstanding, both covering and passing. I've never been sold on Jermaine Jones and I hope Cameron takes his job.

Altidore now has 3 goals in 3 USA matches. He's looked great, what everyone thought he ought to be. And tonight he developed a relationship with Dempsey, which is hugely important.

Fabian Johnson is another change that looks like a winner. He was extremely dangerous going forward.

And Michael Bradley rebounded from a poor game in Jamaica to lead the midfield charge.

It may be that Panama are so bad, and the Seattle crowd was so strong, that we got a distorted picture of this USA team. Still, it was great to see the national team looking so fluent and so strong. It's been a long time.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-12-2013, 12:56 AM   #374
wxwax
Excited Member

Mexico have scored one goal in their last four matches and have taken just 8 points out of a possible 18. Now they head to Brazil for the Confederations Cup. If they stumble there, given their proclivity for instability I bet they have a new coach by the time they resume Hexagonal play in September.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #375
wxwax
Excited Member

The Guardian did a 5 Things We Learned about the last round of World Cup qualifying. And lo and behold, they do pay attention to the US team.

They noticed Jeff Camerpn's standout performance.

Quote:
3) Cameron shines in midfield

One of the most pressing issues Mark Hughes faces at Stoke is to rejuvenate a midfield that was painfully drab and lumpen under Tony Pulis, who was ultimately unable to construct a team that could offer anything beyond huff and puff.

It is unlikely that Hughes, or anyone for that matter, will have been looking at Geoff Cameron as the answer to that particular problem. Indeed, the reaction was slightly apprehensive when Cameron was named in central midfield for the USA's match against Panama but he confounded those low expectations with a composed display and even played a hand in Eddie Johnson's goal. Perhaps he has been wasted at full-back.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: