Old 03-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #91
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Ask me, Ancelotti should still be working in South London

Quote:
I am definitely looking forward to tomorrow's match and I'll be pulling for Madrid, because of dear old Jose.
I'm a Barcelona fan over Madrid but I'm anyone but Man U - sorry all the United fans, I know there are a few here

Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #92
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
I'm not really a fan of how Barca play. They dive WAAYYYY too much. Watching them play was like watching the Spain Holland final from WC. Who can dive the most!! Ugh, worst WC final I've ever seen.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #93
MiguelVR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post

Villas Boas is proving with the current Spurs team what a fruitcake Abramovich is (like we didn't know )
Money doesn't give you brains. Abramovich is a living case study.
AVB also didn't got a grip with the egos on the locker room. Too many and too powerfull.

Quote:
Let me guess where you live . . .
yes its true. CR7 was formed by my team Sporting Lisbon, before it was sold to Man U. we were too poor to keep him. You know, when money talks, bullshit waks...
MiguelVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #94
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
I'm not really a fan of how Barca play. They dive WAAYYYY too much. Watching them play was like watching the Spain Holland final from WC. Who can dive the most!! Ugh, worst WC final I've ever seen.
I'm with you. Obviously, Barca's diving is pretty bad, although it seems endemic to Spanish football. I think part of it may be the way the game is officiated there. For example, they are absurdly strict on the handball interpretation.

But also, I'm not a fan of tiki-taka. Despite what people say, to me there's no beauty or thrill in watching a team push the ball around the boundary for minutes at a time. Yes, when the incisive pass is made it's a thing of beauty. But the prelude is dull. I'd rather watch a higher tempo game.

In terms of total minutes of excitement, tiki-taka is the same as Mourinho's counter-attack philosophy. With either strategy, when the strike happens it's very quick. The only difference is that Barca defend by possession whereas Mourinho prefers to sit back and disrupt. It's been pointed out that Madrid's losses in La Liga this season came against teams which sat back in depth, thus depriving him of his favored counter attack.

Of the three, I think Manchester United's slashing style is actually the most pleasurable to watch. But of course, they're the enemy and are therefore despised.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #95
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelVR View Post
Money doesn't give you brains. Abramovich is a living case study.
AVB also didn't got a grip with the egos on the locker room. Too many and too powerfull.
Regarding Roman... count the trophies.

AVB suffered from 3 things: a lack of man management skills, a foolhardy declaration that the old guard was on its way out, and complete isolation from upper management (which is their shameful style, unfortunately.)

He stepped into a well-established locker room and didn't understand the dynamics or where the power lay. He challenged Lampard, Terry and Cole head on. Not a great idea. His lack of experience betrayed him. (My opinion of those three Chelsea stalwarts fell considerably as a result of this sorry episode.)

I think he's an excellent manager and in the right situation he'll prosper. Spurs welcomed him and embraced him. Everyone over there seems very happy these days. I wish him well.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #96
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Of the three, I think Manchester United's slashing style is actually the most pleasurable to watch. But of course, they're the enemy and are therefore despised.
HAHAHA I lol'd. I really liked Germany's counter attacking in the 2010 WC. To see them just power up the field from the back so fast was just a pleasure to watch.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #97
wxwax
Excited Member

Personally, I think Nani's foul was deliberate. I slowed it down and watched the wide-shot a few times. You can see Nani's head turn, look for Arbeloa, then turn back to the ball and eventually stick his leg out where he knew Arbeloa would be.

I have no idea if the ref saw that quick look by Nani. But for me the intent was clear. Now, admittedly I have a bias since I wanted Madrid to win.

It's unbelievable how a late-season pick-up goalie has saved Madrid's season. Diego Lopez has been immense since he took over.

Another big night in European football and another night when the ref had a huge influence on the outcome. As a Chelsea fan who has felt the sting of truly incompetent officiating, I sympathize with Manchester United fans, even if I agree with this particular decision.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #98
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

When I said it was inevitable Madrid would score I didn't mean for both sides

And please, if you feel bad about scoring against your old club, either don't score or don't play. Enough with the embarrassed humility, Ronaldo (like you know what sincerity is). You just scored the winning goal away. Act happy.

While the Nani sending off didn't help, Fergusons tactics did seem to be park the bus, ironic given who his opposing manager was now Mou can make history and win it all with yet another club (and inherit the gig at Man U ).

P.s. Go Dortmund, a German renaissance underway?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #99
MiguelVR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
And please, if you feel bad about scoring against your old club, either don't score or don't play. Enough with the embarrassed humility, Ronaldo (like you know what sincerity is). You just scored the winning goal away. Act happy.
Why do you say that? Sincerity has brought him many drawbacks and criticism. Not playing the "politically correct" role has brought him more disavantage than credits.

And not celebrating is only natural. He spent 6 years in Manchester. It was where he realy grown up as a man. Alex Fergusson is like a father figure to him, and the fans always stood behind him. I can understand that. He did the same thing with my club in a CL match. I can tell you that it felt good. I also had the opposite experience, when Figo celebrated an Inter goal (he was not a player anymore and he was also formed in Sporting) like it was an World Cup final goal. No need to tell you how the Sporting fans felt about it....
MiguelVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #100
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

IDK how well the fans stood behind him, he was booed every time he got the ball. With everyone wondering about the Nani red card, rest assured that Raphael should've had a red and a pk for the blatant handball in the box in the beginning of the game. Go back and look at it, if it were Suarez, there would be another witch hunt.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #101
majlee_vmi
TK-421

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post

I'm a Barcelona fan over Madrid but I'm anyone but Man U - sorry all the United fans, I know there are a few here

Yeah, I'm one of the MAN U fans here. Heart breaking call by the ref; seemed to be a bit much for the foul. I got a feel for how bad it was when it left SAF speechless at the end of the match - that's got to be a first.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #102
majlee_vmi
TK-421

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Personally, I think Nani's foul was deliberate. I slowed it down and watched the wide-shot a few times. You can see Nani's head turn, look for Arbeloa, then turn back to the ball and eventually stick his leg out where he knew Arbeloa would be.

I have no idea if the ref saw that quick look by Nani. But for me the intent was clear. Now, admittedly I have a bias since I wanted Madrid to win.

It's unbelievable how a late-season pick-up goalie has saved Madrid's season. Diego Lopez has been immense since he took over.

Another big night in European football and another night when the ref had a huge influence on the outcome. As a Chelsea fan who has felt the sting of truly incompetent officiating, I sympathize with Manchester United fans, even if I agree with this particular decision.
I think Nani was just looking for the ball and no ill intent was there; Rooney has made that sort of high foot grab plenty of times before and made it work.

Madrid's goalie has made a world of difference for them. Regardless of the outcome, it was a good match. Just hate to see MAN U lose a match that way. It's always fun to see Manchester United play either Barca or RM.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #103
wxwax
Excited Member

Dortmund were really impressive. But Shakhtar were a disappointment. This isn't the same club that played so impressively in the group stage against Chelsea and Juventus. The long winter break and the selling of Willian really hurt them, unfortunately. They were a lot of fun to watch back then.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #104
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by majlee_vmi View Post
it left SAF speechless at the end of the match - that's got to be a first.

I never understand why SAF uses Rooney the way he does. Yet another big match in which Wayne is made to play a bit part. I guess he's paid well enough to do whatever is asked of him but it would be great to see him as the number ten or a false nine and focus on attack.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #105
wxwax
Excited Member

The Guardian has a piece on Rooney which goes into it. Nobody can say that Wellbeck played poorly. In fact, he was a prime mover in Manchester United's dominance before the sending off.

Quote:
His exclusion would once have brought outcry but now elicits a different kind of scrutiny. It is a form of regret, almost sadness, that for all his achievement he has not turned out to be the player English football had quite expected: the all-action hero who would terrorise players so devastatingly it would be barely conceivable Old Trafford could witness one of its top five European nights in the Ferguson era without him in the team. The player, one might say, Rooney used to be.

Ferguson had his logic prepared but a player of Rooney's selfless commitment and professional drive might flinch to hear United's manager considered Danny Welbeck as superior when it comes to tracking back opponents and, in this case, dropping on to Xabi Alonso to negate the most prolific supply line to Ronaldo. That surely is one of Rooney's great strengths even without the long, powerful stride of his younger colleague. As for their respective scoring threats, Welbeck is still refining his finishing. Rooney, despite reaching an awkward juncture in his professional life, is the more reliable marksman by some distance.

Too much can be read into Ferguson's curveball selections sometimes but, equally, just consider how desperate he was for Rooney to be bandaged up to face Bayern Munich in the 2010 quarter-final with frayed ankle ligaments. Ferguson gave the impression back then that a 40% Rooney was still the first player he wanted on his teamsheet. Something clearly has changed. What a brutal irony as well, going back to those days in October 2010 when Rooney wanted to leave Old Trafford, that he had publicly questioned the club's transfer market ambitions under the Glazer regime, and it is now the signing of Robin van Persie that means he is no longer a mandatory first-team player.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: