User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
pax maac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
R1100GS cracked valve cover nut

Went to do a valve adjust today on my '95 R1100GS. Undoing the bolts on the left side valve cover I noticed the lower right was very loose, like too loose. When I got the cover off I saw this

The lower right (as you look at it) nut (I don't know what you call it, it's not a nut but where the bolt screws into) was cracked off and what looks like a helicoil was still on the bolt (I removed it).

What are my options here? Is this repairable or do I need to replace it? I know that the other cover has crappy bolts that need helicoiling too. It seems like a previous owner liked to really overtorque these bolts and now I'm paying the price for it.
pax maac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,916
Someone stripped out the hole then heli-coiled it. Likely the last numbnuts who installed the valve cover way over torqued it, the reason it was stripped in the first place.

It is possible to fix it with a weld on the old part.

Alternatively, from the look of the hole, you might be able to install a deep timesert and use it as is. The torque is only 8Nm, so it doesn't take much pull to snug it down!

http://www.timesert.com/

JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 364
Even if you reweld the threaded hole and remachine it, you will need to remove the head. And as the alu will be contaminated by oil, it will not be an easy job. i suggest replacing the head. It will be cheaper and easier.

Lee
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
pax maac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Jim. You wouldn't happen to know off hand what size timesert kit would fix that do you?
Old 03-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax maac View Post
Thanks Jim. You wouldn't happen to know off hand what size timesert kit would fix that do you?
It is an M6 x 72 (1.25 pitch IIRC). The length you will have to measure the depth of the hole and get it a bit shorter.

My bad, the valve cover bolts are 10Nm.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
It is an M6 x 72 (1.25 pitch IIRC). The length you will have to measure the depth of the hole and get it a bit shorter.

My bad, the valve cover bolts are 10Nm.
M6 should have a pitch of 1.0mm
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,649
As long as you have enough thread at the bottom of the hole, the Timesert sounds like a good solution. I suppose a good epoxy job would do the trick if the hole is too shallow to lock the Timesert in place.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveLee View Post
M6 should have a pitch of 1.0mm
Could be, I don't remember.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 14,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
As long as you have enough thread at the bottom of the hole, the Timesert sounds like a good solution. I suppose a good epoxy job would do the trick if the hole is too shallow to lock the Timesert in place.
Yes. I would clean and prep the area well, then build it up with JB weld, then put an insert in there.

those bolts hold so LITTLE torque, I had to helicoil about half of mine the first time I had the valve covers off.

cheap thread insert kit from harbor freight, ive used it for a TON of stuff since, including repairing the large kickstand bolt on my 1995 r1100gs.

this was the kit I bought, it may or may not still be available.

http://images.harborfreight.com/manu...8999/98873.pdf

this looks like it would fix you up also.

http://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5546-...3892985&sr=1-1

Charter member: T.O. club.

Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #10
Steptoe
steptoe

Oddometer: 2,373
Seeing as you don't mention any leaks before you undid the cover, and i assume the other three bolts are OK, just add a bead of silicone sealer around the rocker cover gasket and the bad bolt gasket and fit back in place.

Repair it properly the next time you have to take the cylinder head off, pointless doing work that can wait for a more conveniant time.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:38 AM   #11
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 789
Carried this chart in my pocket at work for 40 yrs. Print one off for your shop for thread references....

Old 03-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #12
pwlindo
I can do this!

Oddometer: 151
I had exactly the same thing happen on my 95 1100GS.

I took the head to a guy who built the broken area up with a weld. Then I drilled a hole and put in a helicoil insert. Seems to be holding.

But the reason I was in there to begin with was to replace a head gasket that was leaking so I was already taking the head off.

pwlindo screwed with this post 03-04-2014 at 09:00 PM
pwlindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,131
I've fixed a couple that were similar. one way is to use the original hole as a guide and oversize the threads to hold a custom made stud. heres a 10mm stud that I cut, drilled and tapped for 6mm I.D.. not quite what you have but maybe gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

another way would be to use the remaining original threads (maybe cut a few more if there isn't enough), screw in a short 6mm stud, then screw on a "rod coupling nut" cut to the right length. they are made in 6mm by 1 pitch for sure, not sure if they are made in other thread pitch. if not, then you have to make your own or helicoil one end or something.

or, takes some 10-12mm stock & turn one end down to 6 and thread it, drill & tap the other end

in any case, the remains of the broken boss will have to be removed to make room. just grind it off

any of these would be a permanent fix if done properly

Beezer screwed with this post 03-04-2014 at 10:11 PM
Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
pax maac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I got the cylinder head off today and realized there's a new development.

Remember the piece that was broken off, in my hand in the original picture? Turns out that is only half of the broken piece. And I have no idea what happened to the other half, but I don't have it.

Also, as I was taking the head off (following Steptoe's writeup for changing the gasket) a washer fell off and I don't know where it came from. I'll post a pic later tonight or tomorrow morning as I have to go to work now, but I need to know where that thing goes.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax maac View Post
So I got the cylinder head off today and realized there's a new development.

Remember the piece that was broken off, in my hand in the original picture? Turns out that is only half of the broken piece. And I have no idea what happened to the other half, but I don't have it.

Also, as I was taking the head off (following Steptoe's writeup for changing the gasket) a washer fell off and I don't know where it came from. I'll post a pic later tonight or tomorrow morning as I have to go to work now, but I need to know where that thing goes.
I'm betting that one of the head nuts came loose at some point and the washer fell off. As for the missing piece, I wouldn't sweat it. Likely it landed in the bottom of the case and will live out its days there without harm. It is common with the valve adjuster nut if someone forgets to torque it.

I have to say though, I am surprised you are removing the head for this issue.