User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,325
GSPD electrical weirdness

I was hoping to head out on a trip tomorrow to the east side of the mountains on my mexican GSPD, but some electrical bugs seem to have reared their ugly heads. My turn signals and brake light no longer work and neither do my idiot lights except for the neutral and charge lights. Weirder yet is that the charge light stays on with the engine running, BUT the charging system is working (verified 13+ volts at battery when revving). What!!??

Anybody have any ideas? I checked all the frame grounds that I could find even jumping them straight to the battery ground. All fuses intact and verified for continuity with a multimeter. I will admit that a former owner has done some ugly electrical boogery so it really could be anything. Anybody have any bright ideas?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
Cdubs
made for adventure

Oddometer: 109
What diode board do you have in there? I feel you I have a G/S with PO rats nest too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I was hoping to head out on a trip tomorrow to the east side of the mountains on my mexican GSPD, but some electrical bugs seem to have reared their ugly heads. My turn signals and brake light no longer work and neither do my idiot lights except for the neutral and charge lights. Weirder yet is that the charge light stays on with the engine running, BUT the charging system is working (verified 13+ volts at battery when revving). What!!??

Anybody have any ideas? I checked all the frame grounds that I could find even jumping them straight to the battery ground. All fuses intact and verified for continuity with a multimeter. I will admit that a former owner has done some ugly electrical boogery so it really could be anything. Anybody have any bright ideas?
Cdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:15 AM   #3
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,404
I don't know GSDP wiring, but on the /5 /6 /? bikes, those lights are on the same "branch" of the wiring tree: they have a common source and daisy-chained from that switched source. I'd snag a copy of your wiring schematic and tracing these functions back to a common point you'll find a common bad connection. The ALT light stays "ON" because that branch also serves as the "reference voltage" that the diode beard compares and it ain't seeing that reference.

That's what I'd do.

--Bill
Old 06-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

To make matters worse, I can't find my electrical diagrams anywhere. Oh the joys of moving 3 times in as many years. Anybody have a post '90 GSPD wiring diagram handy?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 06-07-2014 at 10:11 AM
Old 06-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,548
Maybe this?

http://user.xmission.com/~wendell/GS/node2.html

Or:

http://wanawana.sakura.ne.jp/20-Tips...ng-Diagram.GIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
First one is a yep. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

I just emailed you the pdf file for that diagram as well as the factory manual

Quote:
Old 06-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
I just emailed you the pdf file for that diagram as well as the factory manual
Sweeeet. Thanks.

Weird got weirder. I went back over what I checked last night to confirm everything. Aside from a battery that's a little on the weak side (struggles to start), I couldn't find anything obvious. My brake light DOES work afterall. I had forgotten that the brake pedal switch stopped working on my last road trip. The front brake switch lights the brake light just fine. Back to the weird, I also found that pushing the horn button will extinguish the neutral light, relighting it upon release. The turn signal buttons also turn out the neutral light when pressed, relighting when you push the turn signal cancel button. ???????? ??????? WTF

Old 06-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Sweeeet. Thanks.

Weird got weirder. I went back over what I checked last night to confirm everything. Aside from a battery that's a little on the weak side (struggles to start), I couldn't find anything obvious. My brake light DOES work afterall. I had forgotten that the brake pedal switch stopped working on my last road trip. The front brake switch lights the brake light just fine. Back to the weird, I also found that pushing the horn button will extinguish the neutral light, relighting it upon release. The turn signal buttons also turn out the neutral light when pressed, relighting when you push the turn signal cancel button. ???????? ??????? WTF
Do you have a known good battery to swap in to check if it if a bad battery issue?

Quote:
Old 06-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Do you have a known good battery to swap in to check if it if a bad battery issue?
Not a battery issue. I tried jumping it off a good battery. Obviously it started a lot easier, but no change in idiot light or turn signal function.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,660
Neutral light switch operates to a separate ground ... suggesting a grounding problem. [edit] but .. read on [/edit]

The neutral light going out when the horn/indicator is/are operated (do they work ? or simply fail to operate correctly?) suggests a high resistance to the battery .. check your fuse HOLDERS .. not the fuse itself but the contact from the fuses to the wires.

You have a nice puzzle there. From the info I have two possibilities above ... so far. More info might lead to better possibilities ... or more confusion [Edit] Does the headlight operate? That is another high current draw. [/edit]

Warin screwed with this post 06-07-2014 at 05:27 PM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

I still couldn't find the problem, I got frustrated and decided to ride the damn thing over the mountains anyway. It ran just fine the whole way there and back 2 hours each way. I'll tear into it sometime this week. I was thinking that it might be backfeeding currect somehow through the lights. The neutral / turn signal / horn interaction is particularly puzzling though.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:02 AM   #13
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,404
The "Phantom or Ghost Lights" does suggest a ground connection problem.

--Bill
Old 06-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
JZed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
GSPD electrical weirdness

My 92 GS had some strange issues like this. Turned out to be that the wiring loom running up into the headlight dash area had been rubbing on the metal strut that goes upto the front roo bar. The strut has a u shape and had rubbed through the insulation in the loom causing several wires to short inside the loom. Had to unwrap the loom to get out the shorted wires and burnt insulation. Replaced the bad stuff and rewrapped the loom. used some zip ties to keep the wire loom off of the strut. Was quite an exercise to chase it all down. Multiple burnt wires caused multiple problems. A wiring schematic form Prosperos Garage was really helpful.

http://colorwiringdiagrams.com/bmw.htm

Good luck

JZed
SC
'86 R80, '92 R100GS, '06 KLR650
JZed is offline   Reply With Quote