ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 AM   #31
Dusty Boots
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dusty Boots's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: deep in the lair of the Black Widow Spider
Oddometer: 297
In planning for my 3 month tour, I budgeted roughly $15/night camping, $25/day food and $35/day fuel = $75/day.
Depending on your and your bike's 'appetite', you can shave $15/day off of that. My bike averages 35mpg and I eat twice/day, most my own cooking.
In reality ..... because I spent a total of 3+ weeks staying at friends places, resulting in not doing much riding during those 3+ weeks and spending another total of 2+ weeks at various meet n greets with reduced riding and finally finding quite a few free campgrounds, it worked out to roughly $45/day



Dusty
__________________
No one is completely useless ....... they can always be used as a horrible example!
Dusty Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #32
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer
 
nuttynu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: ANCHORAGE,ALASKA
Oddometer: 934
I am slowly planning to save up $15 k by April if June 2015 and take 6 months to ride as much of the lower 48 states in that period. What do ya think ? Enough bread ? Or need more
__________________

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #33
Dusty Boots
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dusty Boots's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: deep in the lair of the Black Widow Spider
Oddometer: 297
Should be enough if camping ..... not enough if motelling it, based at an average of $65/night ($11,895) plus food, plus gas, plus tires/repairs etc.
Got to look at the whole picture for cost.



Dusty
__________________
No one is completely useless ....... they can always be used as a horrible example!
Dusty Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #34
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer
 
ride4321's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Binghamton, NY
Oddometer: 1,838
i just used the spread sheet listed above (thanks for the link) and came up with $16K for a 20K mile/6 month trip. I went high on the lodging numbers so that should cover emergencies I think. Out west camping can be very inexpensive or free, on the east coast, not so much and finding free camping in the east is harder. 20K miles over 6 months works out to 111 miles a day which is a nice pace for an extended trip I think. On 2-3 week vacation trips I usually average 350 miles a day and feel rushed the whole way.
With your budget you're gonna have to earn money along the way. $3600 will get you started but won't last long. Go for it and just figure it out along the way. Good luck.
__________________

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #35
kels
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: flat part of Kansas
Oddometer: 17
I think 75 dollars a day would be a good estimate.
A lot of days, you will be well under that, but it would
give you a surplus for any of lifes little emergencies.

If it works out, your trip might be a little longer.
If the weather goes bad or you have major bike issues
it may not last long. Mostly luck of draw, and if the
highways gods smile on your trip.

Since I like a HOT shower in the morning,
I look towards campgrounds with showers.
I normally budget closer to 100 dollars a day.

Good luck
kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #36
randyo
Beastly Adventurer
 
randyo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Northern NewEngland
Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
In planning for my 3 month tour, I budgeted roughly $15/night camping, $25/day food and $35/day fuel = $75/day.
Depending on your and your bike's 'appetite', you can shave $15/day off of that. My bike averages 35mpg and I eat twice/day, most my own cooking.
In reality ..... because I spent a total of 3+ weeks staying at friends places, resulting in not doing much riding during those 3+ weeks and spending another total of 2+ weeks at various meet n greets with reduced riding and finally finding quite a few free campgrounds, it worked out to roughly $45/day



Dusty
No beer I assume unless yer planning on mooching, how bout hookers & blow ?

while many times I have come back from trips only spending small amounts, for the times that I have spent my whole budget amount, I'm glad it was there

I separate bike cost and personal cost, I have a known cost per mile, (45 for my V-strom 1000) then I estimate room/meals/entertainment separate, while some places you can find free or cheap camping, just as often, its $32/nite just to set up a tent and walk a quarter mile to a toilet & shower, and for a room, $100 a nite is more common the $50 a nite
__________________
RandyO
IBA # 9560
07 VeeStrom
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #37
mpatch
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: N Colorado
Oddometer: 862
One of the bigger expenses will be doing things. There isn't a whole lot thats "free" in the USA as far as activities go. If you just want to ride around the country for a year and live in a tent it could be done for about $20 a day as long as you aren't a picky eater and dont put huge mileage on everyday. Shit adds up quick though, a six pack here, admission to something there, etc....spread out over a year can easily be thousands of dollars.

ETA free legal camping east of the Mississippi can be hard to come by compared to the western states
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #38
Dusty Boots
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dusty Boots's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: deep in the lair of the Black Widow Spider
Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
.... If you just want to ride around the country for a year and live in a tent it could be done for about $20 a day as long as you aren't a picky eater and dont put huge mileage on everyday. ....
Ya, right! You should try it some year!! It costs me $18+ to fillup, .... never mind campground, food etc
__________________
No one is completely useless ....... they can always be used as a horrible example!
Dusty Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #39
mpatch
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: N Colorado
Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
Ya, right! You should try it some year!! It costs me $18+ to fillup, .... never mind campground, food etc
I have spent enough time on the road with no money. You can eat for about $5 a day (less if have have room to buy larger quantities of things). One of the biggest money wasters is gas station crap ie bottled water soda coffee snacks etc.
When traveling you don't ride 300 miles everyday, once I find a place or area I like I'll spend some time there maybe a few days maybe weeks, that alone saves a good chunk of money. Somedays I'd spend $100 and somedays I'd spend nothing, it averages out. The key is not paying for anything that you can do/get for free, no $5 truck stop showers, no developed campgrounds, do your laundry in a sink or stream somewhere
Being a likeable social person helps a ton it can get you fed, drunk, laid, a warm bed and hot shower tips on where to go and what to see all for free.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #40
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer
 
ride4321's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Binghamton, NY
Oddometer: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
I have spent enough time on the road with no money. You can eat for about $5 a day (less if have have room to buy larger quantities of things). One of the biggest money wasters is gas station crap ie bottled water soda coffee snacks etc.
When traveling you don't ride 300 miles everyday, once I find a place or area I like I'll spend some time there maybe a few days maybe weeks, that alone saves a good chunk of money. Somedays I'd spend $100 and somedays I'd spend nothing, it averages out. The key is not paying for anything that you can do/get for free, no $5 truck stop showers, no developed campgrounds, do your laundry in a sink or stream somewhere
Being a likeable social person helps a ton it can get you fed, drunk, laid, a warm bed and hot shower tips on where to go and what to see all for free.
Good points. Carry a camelback, water is free in every convenience store. Private campgrounds can be much cheaper than state/national parks and KOA's. Public pools for showers can be as little as a buck or two.
__________________

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #41
randyo
Beastly Adventurer
 
randyo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Northern NewEngland
Oddometer: 1,597
Black Card membership in Planet Fitness will give you free access to any gym/shower they have
__________________
RandyO
IBA # 9560
07 VeeStrom
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #42
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer
 
nuttynu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: ANCHORAGE,ALASKA
Oddometer: 934
Let me know what ya think..

I'm having this plan for 2015 ..

$15k budget
6 months to ride it.





??? Thoughts. Advice ?...
__________________

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #43
lightcycle
Nomad
 
lightcycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: No Fixed Address (originally Toronto)
Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
??? Thoughts. Advice ?...
You seem to have based your trip riding on Interstates between large cities. Is this what you want to see?

On a motorcycle, I'd want to spend as much time on twisty back roads with amazing scenery, and less time sitting in big city congestion. (ie. why isn't Deals Gap on your map?) But to each their own.

We've done a cross-US trip before and we based it around the US National Parks and Forests. Great roads, amazing scenery and easy access to camping.

Budget looks great for camping & groceries, does it include tires/oil change? Might be a bit tight for moteling and restaurants.
__________________
Gene www.RideDOT.com R1200GS
Ride Reports: Ride The World! Indian Himalayas Iceland Europe New Zealand
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #44
mpatch
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: N Colorado
Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
You seem to have based your trip riding on Interstates between large cities. Is this what you want to see?

On a motorcycle, I'd want to spend as much time on twisty back roads with amazing scenery, and less time sitting in big city congestion. (ie. why isn't Deals Gap on your map?) But to each their own.

We've done a cross-US trip before and we based it around the US National Parks and Forests. Great roads, amazing scenery and easy access to camping.

Budget looks great for camping & groceries, does it include tires/oil change? Might be a bit tight for moteling and restaurants.
I think someone once said "the interstate system is the best way to get somewhere and not see anything" or something like that
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #45
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer
 
nuttynu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: ANCHORAGE,ALASKA
Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
You seem to have based your trip riding on Interstates between large cities. Is this what you want to see?

On a motorcycle, I'd want to spend as much time on twisty back roads with amazing scenery, and less time sitting in big city congestion. (ie. why isn't Deals Gap on your map?) But to each their own.

We've done a cross-US trip before and we based it around the US National Parks and Forests. Great roads, amazing scenery and easy access to camping.

Budget looks great for camping & groceries, does it include tires/oil change? Might be a bit tight for moteling and restaurants.
Yes and no.

This is just a pre map of the route. But I'm planning more research in each individual states to find nice scenery ride and must see place. The states are just basics pin points of the route I want to head towards. .
I'm rounding it up to maybe a total of 15k miles total.

Added all the expense and came to around $13k
That's with gas,food,3 sets of tires,5 oil chanfe. With about $1k reserve for misc broken bike parts (incase)
And trying to camp at the most . Hoping its no more than $20 a night. Or hopefully there are free space.

This is just the planning stage. I just did this quick map so I can get an average mile total idea of what I'll be working with. And it doesn't look so bad.



Ie... See Vegas, the salt flats, the Grand Canyon, , mt Rushmore , Florida beaches.

Ps... How's is your adventure going ?
__________________


nuttynu screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 08:55 PM
nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014