ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
gbmaz OP
Power Newb

Oddometer: 395
Help need for late winter Big bend trip

I am scheming up a late February / early March 4 day trip to the Big Bend area with a few friends and need help with a couple of things.

Given the vagaries of winter weather we are planning to trailer the bikes down to the Carlsbad area (or a bit south) and then ride the rest of the way down. I will have the only dual sport bike so we will be sticking to pavement for this one. Planning to use it as a scouting trip for some dual sport fun for next year.

I have researched the area quite a bit (books and threads on ADV) so I have some ideas of what to ride, but any input is welcome.

Here is the help part:

Is there anywhere to rent a 3 rail motorcycle trailer in the Los Alamos - Santa Fe- Espanola area? Or does anyone have one they want to lend or rent to me?

We will have a DR650, Fz6 and possibly a BMW R1200(?). Could probably do a 2 rail and put 1 bike in the bed of the pickup.

If a moto trailer is not available what experience do people have with transporting bikes in U-Hail trailers? Are there adequate tie down points for 3 bikes?

I would also be looking for an inmate and Carlsbad or just south who would let us stash a truck and trailer at their home.

Thanks in advance for any help.

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,688
I always drive straight thru to Alpine, TX and make the last little bit to Terlingua/Study Butte the next morning.

The tug from Carlsbad to Pecos is pretty barren (well, so is most of SE NM), so IMO haul as long as you can before you unload and ride. South of Pecos the riding gets pretty good as you head to Alpine - very scenic area for west Texas.

When I've been without truck or trailer - I've rented U-Haul trailers to haul bikes. They work fine, but are heavy and built like a tank. I rented one to pick up an LC4e I bought in Tulsa, and it worked well, was cheap for a couple days' rental, etc.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I always drive straight thru to Alpine, TX and make the last little bit to Terlingua/Study Butte the next morning.

The tug from Carlsbad to Pecos is pretty barren (well, so is most of SE NM), so IMO haul as long as you can before you unload and ride. South of Pecos the riding gets pretty good as you head to Alpine - very scenic area for west Texas.

When I've been without truck or trailer - I've rented U-Haul trailers to haul bikes. They work fine, but are heavy and built like a tank. I rented one to pick up an LC4e I bought in Tulsa, and it worked well, was cheap for a couple days' rental, etc.
Scenic West Texas must include El Cap:
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,619
gbmaz, you won't be able to scout the Big Bend Ranch State Park via any pavement, but please don't forget it when you come back to do some dirt. The best and most dirt riding is in the state park which is nearly as big as the national park now. It has an amazing amount of fun trail in some awesome scenery.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
gbmaz, you won't be able to scout the Big Bend Ranch State Park via any pavement, but please don't forget it when you come back to do some dirt. The best and most dirt riding is in the state park which is nearly as big as the national park now. It has an amazing amount of fun trail in some awesome scenery.

doing dirt you get thru the BBNP stuff pretty quickly, and while it's pretty good you don't want to do the same stuff over and over.

we ran out of time last year and didn't get over to BBRSP.... next time
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
gbmaz OP
Power Newb

Quote:
I will keep that in mind. I read about it in one of the trip reports I was researching. Looks pretty cool.

"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."
Old 01-05-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,290
I really fell in love with that place. The park was empty when I was there in December a few years ago. I camped out in the open, watching a meteor shower under that clear sky. I was just going to spend a night, but ended up staying for a week! (I did a ton of hiking) The RT did just fine on the dirt roads, despite being loaded up with winter camping gear. A week later I was in northern Colorado with -20 degree nights wishing I was back in Texas.

Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

doing dirt you get thru the BBNP stuff pretty quickly, and while it's pretty good you don't want to do the same stuff over and over.

we ran out of time last year and didn't get over to BBRSP.... next time
Blake, I spent 3 days camping and riding out there last month at the state park, and I still didn't cover everything. My shortest mileage day was 80 miles with no pavement, and there's a lot of it that's really not just dirt roads. They've let the many, many ranch roads out there just go back to nature, and it makes for some fun riding.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmaz View Post
I am scheming up a late February / early March 4 day trip to the Big Bend area with a few friends and need help with a couple of things.

Given the vagaries of winter weather we are planning to trailer the bikes down to the Carlsbad area (or a bit south) and then ride the rest of the way down. I will have the only dual sport bike so we will be sticking to pavement for this one. Planning to use it as a scouting trip for some dual sport fun for next year.

I have researched the area quite a bit (books and threads on ADV) so I have some ideas of what to ride, but any input is welcome.

Here is the help part:

Is there anywhere to rent a 3 rail motorcycle trailer in the Los Alamos - Santa Fe- Espanola area? Or does anyone have one they want to lend or rent to me?

We will have a DR650, Fz6 and possibly a BMW R1200(?). Could probably do a 2 rail and put 1 bike in the bed of the pickup.

If a moto trailer is not available what experience do people have with transporting bikes in U-Hail trailers? Are there adequate tie down points for 3 bikes?

I would also be looking for an inmate and Carlsbad or just south who would let us stash a truck and trailer at their home.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I've got nice 3-bike trailer that I would be happy to loan to you, George---let me know
(You should remember it from West Fest last summer)

_Magoo_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
gbmaz OP
Power Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
I've got nice 3-bike trailer that I would be happy to loan to you, George---let me know
(You should remember it from West Fest last summer)
Chris-

Thanks for the offer I will likely take you up on it.

We really need to get out riding sometime this spring. Unless things change weatherwise the spring mud will be short lived up this way.

Are you going up to RMAR this year?

-George

Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
_Magoo_
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 5,351
Haven't missed one yet, gonna try to do the double again this summer (West Fest & RMAR), and going to Baja in February---(should be a good year)

_Magoo_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #12
hook0924
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Question wife

Quote:
Chris-

Thanks for the offer I will likely take you up on it.

We really need to get out riding sometime this spring. Unless things change weatherwise the spring mud will be short lived up this way.

Are you going up to RMAR this year?

-George
Does chandra know your going?, Im in have a truck and can take 2 bikes, 3 if backloaded
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
gbmaz OP
Power Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook0924 View Post
Does chandra know your going?, Im in have a truck and can take 2 bikes, 3 if backloaded
Steve-

LOL.....Funny that you think I plan anything without telling her.

You are definitely welcome to join us. The dates I am looking at are 3/6 to 3/10. 3 days of riding with a day of driving at each end. Spring break for universities in TX start on the 9th so I am trying to minimize overlap with that clusterf**k.

Planning on camping. Ft Davis - Terlingua - Big Bend NP - Ft Davis. Looking to do a good mix of riding, hiking, picture taking and telling lies around the campfire.

Still need to nail down the days with the other guys. I will let you know.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Steve-

LOL.....Funny that you think I plan anything without telling her.

You are definitely welcome to join us. The dates I am looking at are 3/6 to 3/10. 3 days of riding with a day of driving at each end. Spring break for universities in TX start on the 9th so I am trying to minimize overlap with that clusterf**k.

Planning on camping. Ft Davis - Terlingua - Big Bend NP - Ft Davis. Looking to do a good mix of riding, hiking, picture taking and telling lies around the campfire.

Still need to nail down the days with the other guys. I will let you know.
Good plan, gbmaz. I forgot to mention the spring break issue. It's usually more of a ghost town as far as tourists except for spring break and Thanksgiving. Speaking of ghost town, where do you plan on camping in the Terlingua area?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
gbmaz OP
Power Newb

Quote:
Good plan, gbmaz. I forgot to mention the spring break issue. It's usually more of a ghost town as far as tourists except for spring break and Thanksgiving. Speaking of ghost town, where do you plan on camping in the Terlingua area?
I am thinking the Las Ruinas Camping Hostel. It sounds cheap and funky and is walking distance to the Starlight (I think).