Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
Devo1959 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Need help with Husky Lighting issue, Please

Hi Everyone
I am new to Husky's and fairly new to this forum. I just purchased a street legal 1995 wr? or is that wxe/wxc? The bike is in wonderful shape with a recent rebuild top to bottom. Clean plastics and many upgrades. The bike starts and runs well. The problem I am having is the lights do not work. I bench tested the lights and they function. I have checked all connections and cleaned all grounds. Continuity seems correct. I tested also by passing the switch and it still failed. When I test the single wire coming out of the voltage rectifier the voltage reading is jumping from 0 to 18 volts. I have not worked on a bike with lights but no battery and not sure how it works, do you think the rectifier is bad or maybe the stator or magneto any ideas would be much appreciated.
Please let me know if this should be posted elsewhere.
Thanks, Jeff
Devo1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
What is the voltage with the lights connected?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Devo1959 OP
n00b

lighting

Hi,
Thanks for the inquiry.
The voltage is jumping around from 0-18 volts with and without the light connected. And I mean jumping multiple times per second. My feeling is the voltage should be some what constant near 12 volts, is there a capacitor or regulator not working or is it a problem from the source magneto, stator or some ground IU have not found.

Thank you,
Jeff
Old 08-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo1959 View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the inquiry.
The voltage is jumping around from 0-18 volts with and without the light connected. And I mean jumping multiple times per second. My feeling is the voltage should be some what constant near 12 volts, is there a capacitor or regulator not working or is it a problem from the source magneto, stator or some ground IU have not found.

Thank you,
Jeff

If you put a load on it, it should settle around 12.5-13.6v. They do not measure correctly while unloaded from my experience. A capacitor would charge to over 17v.

Try grounding the regulator/rectifier case. If it is grounded, try ungrounding it. Try the same with the lights, grounded and ungrounded.

I have had this exact prob, but I can't remember what it was exactly.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
Devo1959 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
If you put a load on it, it should settle around 12.5-13.6v. They do not measure correctly while unloaded from my experience. A capacitor would charge to over 17v.

Try grounding the regulator/rectifier case. If it is grounded, try ungrounding it. Try the same with the lights, grounded and ungrounded.

I have had this exact prob, but I can't remember what it was exactly.
Hi and thanks for the info,
I used a fluke meter instead of a medium grade meter and the stator showed 20vac at idle and 30-90 vac while using the throttle . Still getting incorrect voltage when the rectifier is connected so I believe it is the rectifier/regulator. I will let you know when I get the new one in.
thnaks
Jeff