Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #16
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert110411 View Post
I have a 2012. Got an awesome deal on it.
Just curious - What is "an awesome deal" on one of these? The best I have been able to find, so far is around $9,250 - for a new, left over "Adventure" model. It was at $9,999 last week, but the salesman just notified me of a $750 Suzuki "rebate"...
Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,262
My advice is to skip the "Adventure" version of the DL1000. It has the Suzuki accessory side bags and trunk, which are pretty crappy (and expensive). Suzuki did a better job of "Adventurizing" the new DL650, IMO.

Hope to see a new version of the DL1000 next year?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #18
EVLED
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
I've had my Vee for nearly 2 years. It loves fast, hard pack gravel (I blow away the smaller adv bikes) but then is more cumbersome in the tight stuff or deep gravel. I've ridden it on quite a knarly track that was had many a deep water-filled hole in it - the only way was through and although I had the bow wave of a super tanker (water splashed right over the top of me) I made it through thanks to the K60's it's wearing.

The bike is a real hoot to ride - especially now it wears some Remus mufflers and I love exploring gravel on it.

More info on my Vee and her farkles here: http://banditrider.weebly.com/the-v-strom.html
EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
EVLED
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Oh yeah, they wheelie - but I'm crap at wheelies!

Sorting out those 650's...

EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #20
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Childers View Post
I'm thinking of finding a used low mile bike for a project if this is feasible. I'd love to see pictures if anyone has done this. I'm looking for a big trailie for more pavement riding to supplemEnt my mostly off road DR650
it took me a while to get used to the DL1s long legs. especially the 6th. gear OverDrive. EX. 6th gear OD @ 5000 rpm = 95 mph. IOW's the DL1 loves to consume large quanities of hi-way miles.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #21
Kava
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I have had my 09 Vee for 3 years, got lots of farkles on it and still plan on many more, for distance road riding i would have to say my best farkle was adding folding hiway pegs. i'm 6'6 300 and i felt like i was on a sport bike after 100 miles. i did a trip to vegas and my legs were killing me when i hit the half way mark. i put hiway pegs on and did a trip to zion and wow what a difference a little leg room makes!
Ive done some off road and it worked great on fire roads but on silt it wasnt too good but i attribute that to my lack of off road skill and tires. I ride twisties often with sport bikes and scraped the pegs quite a few times. It handles great and very little vibration. I have layed mine down 2x and was able to pick it up and ride home both ties.

when i was shopping bikes i was looking for a used 1200R or multistrada and for the same price for a very used bike I got a new DL1000 instead and havent been happier
Kava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
getset
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
You can take a 1000 on an adventure. It is not the most nimble of beasts. I returned with two large bends in my front rim.

It only got steeper...

getset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #23
black97GS
Black GS

Oddometer: 4
V-Strom 1000 has not dissapointed

2009 DL 1000 - bought used to replace my '97 BMW 1100 GS. Came with aftermarket windshield, crash bars, Sargent seat, power commander and Givi luggage. Live in CA bay area and just got home from a great ride to Cabo San Lucas, Baja. A 3,500 mile trip, mostly pavement. Road 2 up fully loaded with heated gear and GPS. NO issues, ran great. Most in our group had GSs - they were impressed with the V Strom. It is an easy bike to ride around town or cross country. Fire roads and gravel do not pose a problem. Some deep (about 6") on one back road was not comfortable, but we made it OK - I would say as well as the GSs.
black97GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #24
Longbow
Vroooom

Oddometer: 287
I just purchased a 2002 that has had the clutch problem fixed, other than that, it's stock. I still haven't had the chance to get it out and stretch it's legs, do to the snow and ice. I bought it so I could take longer trips then my Gen 1 KLR would let me do comfortably but still want to be able to hit the gravel roads and the forest service roads to get me into the back woods for motorcycle camping I enjoy. I really don't think I am going to have any problems doing this so long as I keep it realistic for the bike and don't forget that I am not on my KLR.

If you live in or around Billings, Montana
please send me a PM.
Longbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #25
S-TrackJunkie
Shut up and dance!

Oddometer: 426
They are great bikes, period! It does as good off road as any 1000cc bike does, but folks that spent 15,000+ on their bikes like to say otherwise...because the truth makes then sad!

I love mine, and it does everything I could ever want an ADV bike to do, and more! Buy one, and don't listen to the BMW/KTM guys...they are just jealous of our savings!!

Another thing, when you spend less on a bike, like us Strommers, you don't care about a couple dings here and there! I ride with a guy that owns a really nice new GS, but he wont get agro in the rough stuff, because he doesn't want to hurt his substantial investment!
S-TrackJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #26
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm View Post
I am seriously considering buying one, but my big question is - *Will it wheelie easily?*
All day long....

Old 02-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #27
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 254
stock DL1's love to consume large quantities of hi-way miles.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #28
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
The 1000 can be a really good all around "adventure" bike. Especially if you stick to roads ( paved or unpaved ) 99% of the time. Later models have the same issues with the clutch which is easily and permanently cured. The fueling issues are sometimes fixed with a Power Commander, although I recommend doing everything you can to get the tune perfect first. That helps keep the fuel mileage acceptable! PC's tend to drop the mileage. Typical owner satisfaction upgrades to the seat and windscreen of course. Beyond that they can be VERY comfortable for extended highway riding at speed and a heavy load doesn't bog them down any.
I'd definitely agree. I rode a '06 for a couple years and it was a very good bike. I did "fix" a few things, see list below, but after that just rode it.

In the order I found made the biggest improvements;

1. PC3 fuel remapping + good tune
2. Madstadt windscreen brackets, I found the stock screen to work OK after that
3. Different handlebars, I really hated the bend of the stock bars they made my wrists hurt, went with Protaper ATV mid with Rox risers, loved it
4. Changed the gearing by adding 2 teeth on the rear sprocket, perfect all around gearing IMO
5. Add luggage of your preference, the rear rack is one of the strongest out there and will take it no problem, lots of options
6. SS brake lines, especially for the front, I did rear also plus better pads in the rear
7. I'd have added a fork brace if I'd kept it longer and done some fork work
8. I upgraded to high quality 530 chain

Most everything after that is personal. If you ride the bike off-road much it needs a skidplate.

I really liked the engine after getting the fueling sorted out and the clutch. It's a real sweet heart of an engine and will chug down to 2.5k then pull hard till redline. I never felt it didn't have enough power, 100 mph passes 2 up fully loaded are no problem at all and the engine is pretty dang smooth especially at freeway speeds. It vibes a bit up higher around 6k rpm but not bad at all.

It's no dirt bike but it's OK in the dirt as long as you keep in mind IT'S NOT A DIRT BIKE.

It's very comfy 2 up, one of the best out there. Mine was 100% reliable.

Here's a few shots from our rides.

Out in Death Valley

And on a Rally/camp trip up Hwy 1 to NorCal
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #29
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,491
It's a great back-road bike. Last time that I drove through New Mexico (in the cage) I was thinking 1) damn, wish I lived out here and 2) damn, I've got to bring the bike out here for some riding.

Vstrom dot Info has all of the detailed technical stuff on the bike that you'll need to know. I'd start w/ the GSXR 750 front caliper upgrade and a fork brace. If you're going to do unimproved roads you'll want a bash plate and crash bars - the plastic stuff is expensive.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #30
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
I'd start w/ the GSXR 750 front caliper upgrade and a fork brace.
Those were the next 2 things on my list to do if I'd kept the bike longer. Then different fork springs and oil. I thought the rear shock was OK for an OEM shock.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote