Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Life time maps

I've had my 660 for a year and I'm still learning. I just bought the life time maps from the Garmin site and it says to follow the links to activate however I see no links. Since i have an order number now there must be a quick way to get my maps updated but I can't crack the code. This unit can't find my house and can't take me to town so I'm thinking and up date might be in order. I'm currently running 2012.30. Soooo the question is, how can I update my maps?.

I think one problem is I can't install the plug in that's apparently required.

XB12R screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 07:34 PM
XB12R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
I think one problem is I can't install the plug in that's apparently required.

You have to install their map manager.

If you are using windows, check your settings when it tries to install. You will normally get the yellow security bar across the top of the window and have to tell it that it is OK to grant garmin.com access

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,865
it should d/load to both pc and gps if selected. I just updated yesterday. 2013.3 is the current version. Takes a few hours, so make sure your gps is plugged into the house and pc is not set to sleep.
Your "My Garmin" webpage should have all you need to update.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
River Pilot
"Razor Six"

Oddometer: 62
Good Morning XB12R,

Good choice on updating your maps. With your current map, you should easily be able to find town. Unless you live in a brand new town or have a new address and home, there may be other items you want to look at. As you are in The Dalles, OR. the Zumo 660 will find the town quickly and accurately. In order to learn the "find" feature and practice, use a few tests of known places and towns that aren't new. That will allow you to get some trial runs in.

From time to time, we hear of this and find that its the way one looks up and address. The screens on the Zumo need to be followed correctly and it will find the house with aplomb.

Couple of items to pass on:

1. 2012.3 is one year old and since it is the XXXX.3 update, it will have included all of the previous years updates and map corrections in this one update. Its the one update that is most crucial to do every year. Good idea to update this quarter as the large annual update is out (2013.3).
2. Log into you My Garmin account (if you don't have one, create it) and there you will have a central repository for all of the items that will need to keep your Garmin up to date.
3. You are most likely experiencing a problem with your browser and Garmin Communicator 4.0.4.0 plugin. That can be taken care of by various ways. This is the page to visit to get the communicator plug in installed and tested: http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/ If you are having problems with a specific browser, you can switch to another browser. However, it works fine with IE and most major borwsers. What is probably happening is that you are clicking on the link to update the maps from your lifetime map update, the browser tries to install the communicator plug in, that gets hung up, so the activation, registration and update process is mitigated and halted. That's leaving you in a loop. Simple fix with a few minutes. Note: if you get stuck, just call Garmin Tech support and navigate to the Map update prompt and team. They can log in remotely to your PC and get you dialed in if you get stuck.
4. As listed by another user here, with a full update, your PC will need to download for apporximately 5-6 hours. Ensure your PC doesn't go to sleep during that update. Best to do it at night.
5. You can use the Lifetime Map Updater program: http://www8.garmin.com/support/lifetime_updater.html or download the Garmin Map Updater 3.1.20 from MyGarmin during the map update process.

Good luck,

River Pilot
Cheyenne, WY. U.S.A.
Web: www.riverspilot.com
River Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

I found that the Garmin site was down while I was trying to update. That and the fact that I was getting frustrated made me start fresh the following morning. All is well now. As far as it finding my house or getting me out of town, my town has been here since 1850 and my house was built in 1979. The Garmin can find The Dalles but it can't navigate from my house to the highway. It will take you down dead end roads that have never been through streets. As far as getting me home, it will get me close but not to my driveway. The $1.99 app "MotionX" on my IPhone/ipad is much better and I can actually understand the female voice.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
River Pilot
"Razor Six"

Oddometer: 62
Hello XB12R,

When there are map anomalies and the device tries to go down streets that aren't accuate, that is a function of the underlying map not having that information accurate. Navteq provides the map, garmin makes the device. If there are errors, they need to be provided to Navteq so they can fix them. Those inaccuracties ca be reported here. Within 3-12 months, they will go away. http://mapreporter.navteq.com/

Second, the settings on the device can be set to take shortest distance, fastest time, avoid u turns, etc. If you have those settings incorrect the device will only do what it is told. Go to: Tools>Settings>Navigation and check your Route Preferences and Avoidances. Click Restore to go back to OEM settings.

If you go to Tools>Settings>System and enable GPS Simulator you can test your GPS. It will turn off the GPS receiver and test a route. Since the receiver is off, it will use the last know data position for testing.

Yep, went through The Dalles two weeks ago. If you want to PM an address, we can test your address on our units and see if they match your results.
River Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
XB12R OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Pilot! I'll start reporting these issues. I'm actually pretty good at using it, I find if I use it all the time in both the truck and on the bikes I can stay sharp on the usage. I've had problems from the beginning, even had it replaced once. The voice is an issue also. If you compare the voice on MotionX to the Garmin you'll know what I mean. When I'm in a new town with quick multiple turns the Garmin voice is so robot like and unclear that I tend to make wrong turns simply because I can't understand what she's saying. I'm still determined to master this device.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
Sounds like you are running into what is often called "paper roads" meaning they were on a site plan and legally approved and submitted to the authorities, but never completed. I've found them, too. Try the "fastest time" navigation setting, instead of "shortest distance" and that may sort out the issue. Worth a try anyway.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
[QUOTE=Emoto;20400705]Sounds like you are running into what is often called "paper roads" meaning they were on a site plan and legally approved and submitted to the authorities, but never completed. I've found them, too. /QUOTE]

Oh, god yes. All maps have them and the better the map the more there are. And many many times they are old roads that are no longer there too.
Once I was going north from Coalinga on Hwy 33, parallel to I-5. I started taking back roads and my GPS was routing me on dirt roads through Orchards. The roads had names like Capital Drive and such.
Well, it was fun and no one shot me but they looked like private roads to me. It dampened my enthusiasm.

I always figured map updates were largely vender updates and never bothered with them
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote