ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkeybut View Post
You may be able to ride in Wa. without insurance but don't cross the border. Even if you live elsewhere, Oregon requires insurance to ride here.
red,white, and blues flashing!
You pull to the shoulder in an out of traffic location, shut off the bike, and (out of respect) remove your helmet to show your face.

OSP, (or Sheriff, local) walks up beside you.
"I'll need to see your,,Driver's Lic., Registration, and Proof of Insurance.",,then you get the "do you know how fast you blah blah,, or,,do you know why I stopped you?" BS,,,,
AFTER they enter yer info into the system,

,3 separate infractions right there if you don't have your paperwork. And serious cause for them to tear into every other possible infraction a scofflaw bastard like you is likely to commit,,muffler,,all yer lights, horn, etc,, until he finds something else to write you for. You invited it,, besides the ticket for 10 over, now you get your bike towed, and six more tickets because you didn't have the basic 3. that's how it works here in Oregon. as a consequence,,hopefully,,everyone is insured.
But I also carry and 'uninsured driver' clause when I pay up.
Just in case some of the more northern guys are riding down here and crash me! ;>)

I was lit up outside of Randle a few years back, and handed the county mounty officer all my paper,,he looked at me like,,"what is all this stuff"?,,I told him,,required papers for where I live/ride,,no coverage, no plates!

He then proceeded to lecture me as to how Warshington riders don't NEED insurance to ride.
"But the cars do don't they?", I asked, and he said 'yes'.
I thanked him for the warning, and told him I hoped that none of his uninsured Warshington riders ever hit me!
I carry full coverage, plus roadside assist, flood/fire,zombie a-pock-o-lips, etc. on all my bikes,,,&,,,,basic liability on my ratty old pickup.

peterman screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 08:00 PM
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #17
Eldon
950 ADV

Oddometer: 466
Man I never thought about not having insurance as I crossed into another state... Funny the two times I've been pulled over here in WA I had to explain to the cop that you're not required to have insurance in WA. Both times I was let go without a ticket (for the real reason I was pulled over).

Anyway, I should look into getting it again. When I check on insurance for the 950A back in 2005 I was quoted at $850 per year. So far I've saved $6800 and now that the beast is worth less then what I've saved maybe it'll be a little cheaper.

06 YZ250 Smoker
00 KTM LC-4 - Sold
93 CR125 - Sold
89 CR80 - Sold
84 XR80 - Sold
74 Honda MR50 - Sold and I wish I hadn't
Eldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #18
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
Anyway, I should look into getting it again. When I check on insurance for the 950A back in 2005 I was quoted at $850 per year. So far I've saved $6800 and now that the beast is worth less then what I've saved maybe it'll be a little cheaper.
Jesus lover! My full coverage on a truck, car, and bike plus liability on another car and bike aren't that much per year all together! No wonder you don't get insurance if it's that much in WA, I was wondering why the hell wouldn't someone get liability insurance for only $15/year.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
Eldon
950 ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Jesus lover! My full coverage on a truck, car, and bike plus liability on another car and bike aren't that much per year all together! No wonder you don't get insurance if it's that much in WA, I was wondering why the hell wouldn't someone get liability insurance for only $15/year.
My wife's car and my truck is about $450 a year for full coverage. I was only 20 years old when I got a few quotes but it was cheaper to get a signature load then to get a lower rate on a motorcycle loan and buy full coverage insurance.

06 YZ250 Smoker
00 KTM LC-4 - Sold
93 CR125 - Sold
89 CR80 - Sold
84 XR80 - Sold
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,920
when you get to be older,,(ahem) yer rates drop dramatically,,currently 3 bikes covered (with multi-vehicle discount) for just over $400 per year, full coverage, for all three. I'm 63.
PS,,I have been a long ways from home and had need of coverage to rescue me,when it comes to,,"I hurt, and my bike's f'd up,I wish somebody would take me home", it's worth every cent when needed!

peterman screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 10:04 PM
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #21
Eldon
950 ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
when you get to be older,,(ahem) yer rates drop dramatically,,currently 3 bikes covered (with multi-vehicle discount) for just over $400 per year, full coverage, for all three. I'm 63.
PS,,I have been a long ways from home and had need of coverage to rescue me,when it comes to,,"I hurt, and my bike's f'd up,I wish somebody would take me home", it's worth every cent when needed!
Like my dad always tells me when I'm being a tightwad "nothin's expensive if it works". And that definitely goes for insurance. I do pay $120 for a weeks worth of insurance from Baja Bound when I ride in Baja and I think I'm going to splurge this year and get the evacuation policy just in case I need to be air lifted back to the US.

06 YZ250 Smoker
00 KTM LC-4 - Sold
93 CR125 - Sold
89 CR80 - Sold
84 XR80 - Sold
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #22
shiningocean8
n00b

Oddometer: 6
i have foremost insurance and pay 300 a year. i crashed my bike last summer about 60 miles south of burns, or. the insurance paid for the tow to burns, $500.00. fortunately i didn't break any bones but the insurance paid for an ambulance ride, and my visit to the hospital. they paid for a motel room, dinner, bus ride to bend, and a one way car rental back to seattle. bmw said they would tow my bike to idaho for repair but if i wanted to get it towed anywhere else i would have to pay. the insurance adjuster had it towed to portland and paid the $1200.00. i also got my helmet replaced. it took a little time to get all the money but i needed time to heal. i am glad that i had the insurance.
shiningocean8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #23
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
I tried that last fall, after the moron on the phone finally figured out where I was she told me she could get me towed to Carey, ID, I tiny town in the middle of nowhere. A lot of good that would do me, so I cancelled my worthless roadside assistance.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #24
everycredit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Please don't chastise me for not having insurance on my motorcycle; that's what I'm trying to rectify right now. :)

I'm justing looking for a good deal where I'm going to get good service if I ever have to use it. I had e-surance for auto insurance and they sucked for claims, so I don't care how cheap they are if they don't pay up when you need them. Essentially I was paying them for an insurance ID card that I could have made in MS Word.
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #25
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 568
I've never paid more than 150 a year for full coverage. That includes coverage for the replacement of the bike and up to 1200 in farkles in my case. I missed a wash out in the desert at about 50 mph, did 2200 in damage and progressive cut me a check for the repairs, including shop labor. They didn't care if I did the work and pocked the cash or had the shop do it. Best 150 a year i can spend.
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #26
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by effensteve View Post
I've never paid more than 150 a year for full coverage. That includes coverage for the replacement of the bike and up to 1200 in farkles in my case. I missed a wash out in the desert at about 50 mph, did 2200 in damage and progressive cut me a check for the repairs, including shop labor. They didn't care if I did the work and pocked the cash or had the shop do it. Best 150 a year i can spend.

I don't remember you missing it. Actually you centerpunched the bottom of the wash. Pretty accurate hit. If you would have been going 80 maybe you would have missed it.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #27
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 568
thanks for the reminder
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #28
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,997
The only experience I had was filing a comprehensive claim for trail riding damage. They fixed my bike after the deductible, then took away my accident-free discount on all our cars! Moral of story - don't bother to get comp/collision if its a cheap bike.

Never had to file a liability or medical claim.
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #29
Cap'n Ron
The Devil's Advocate

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningocean8 View Post
i have foremost insurance and pay 300 a year. i crashed my bike last summer about 60 miles south of burns, or. the insurance paid for the tow to burns, $500.00. fortunately i didn't break any bones but the insurance paid for an ambulance ride, and my visit to the hospital. they paid for a motel room, dinner, bus ride to bend, and a one way car rental back to seattle. bmw said they would tow my bike to idaho for repair but if i wanted to get it towed anywhere else i would have to pay. the insurance adjuster had it towed to portland and paid the $1200.00. i also got my helmet replaced. it took a little time to get all the money but i needed time to heal. i am glad that i had the insurance.
They didn't reimburse me for the $20 I gave the old hippie prospector that gave you the ride into French Glen in his old beat up Monterro!

Exploration is the key to a youthful outlook!
"It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse." -Ann Trason on running marathons.
Cap'n Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #30
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,309
Progressive.

One collision claim--it was a total for about $6500.

One collision claim--it was like for $2000.

One UM/UIM claim--I got paid $125,000.

Sweet, clean, easy every time. And my rates did not go up. Great company.