Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #121
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post

Yummy.....mud!
I'm not sure whether the French authorities will allow these 6 numpties to ride together again!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #122
Famous
Goin down hill fast

Oddometer: 238
Hi ho, hi ho it's of to Spain Portugal Spain and France I go

And that's just today
Old 05-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #123
Famous
Goin down hill fast

Have managed
IRELAND
SPAIN
PORTUGAL
SPAIN

Just waiting to do the next 650km

Can ye wait up for us lads
Old 05-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #124
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Hey Seamus
Can't make it untill Tue Morning but see you for a brew in Sarlat
Phil
Old 05-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #125
stoic bloke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
well that's me and Terry on the holyhead to dublin ferry, it's been a long journey, we dropped Clive of this morning not after a decent fry tho!

Charles as always thankyou! for hosting this wonderful trip it was brilliant, WE certainly enjoyed a wonderful journey. also thanks to all the other folks attending.

for now a nap, yep Terry's already snoring

all the best bernard

stoic bloke screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 02:32 PM
stoic bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #126
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Let me second that

Even though i was in and out like a rat up a drain pipe ,loved every minute of it ..................even getting lost

Spent 15 mins dragging the pig under this

All on my own

Not many pics , but heres some

The FIE FIY FOE FUM TROOP picnic at the begging/end of the loop , well thats where Matty said we were !!!

Fiona never stopped laughing, thanks mate even though you had a death wish on me

Laughing girl again

Rick

Matty

Phinn on a well slippy climb in the rain

Pete same climb.................love the pants

Timpo bringing up the rear

Croissant break after the babies heads.................still raining

Cap'un Pete

Dirty donkey

Here's one of 30 vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...nUSjJug#t=361s
Old 05-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #127
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,107
OK, another good trip, thanks Magnon, I really enjoyed it.
Highlights... Dicky Dakar's 50m side-slide, the slope in the forest down to rejoin the diverted track, missing Matt-U Reed-Best being shovelled into bed (again) and Lenny Laurel & Gaz Hardy lying in the deepest part of the Red Clay Lane!

Cheers.

Timpo.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:47 AM   #128
g.arbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Many thanks to all, especially Charles for organising a great trip. Loved it, even though the 'Berg shit itself half way through day three. 'Berg Doctors tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
g.arbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #129
Gazz
In a rut

Oddometer: 531
Astonishing what you find under toadstools

Nuts ..

Here's why ...

A modest little place.

Not too shabby.

Neither is this ...

A tad steep.

Sarlat, the lad could play ...

Mobile people on mobile phones in mobile homes :-

Impromptu breaking & entering that the Scouser soon sorted:-

Len + bike, in their natural pose

To me, to you, to me, to you ..

WTF?

The scene of someone's glory (modesty forbids) :-)

ADVANCED MUPPETRY DID THIS!

We don't camp in the rain

Monsieur Bling's next purchase ?

Booze hounds ;-)

It's all in here

Gazz screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 07:44 AM
Gazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #130
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Dordogne thingy

Just a quick note--Great trip--many thanks to Charles for all the organising and getting us around--and all the good natured banter from everyone (not sure about that sneaky shot Gazz!)--I don't feel quite so old now that Clive has joined in! (he had plenty of fatherly advice!).
Kustlo drove all the way back on Saturday (The old Fiat actually made nearly 70 mph most of the way!) and we got an earlier ferry and were in Essex by 8-30 pm--knackered!--more phots later when I've sorted my life and van contents out a bit!
CB
Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #131
kustlo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Had an amazing time, Thank you Charles and thank you everyone.

Here are some pics,

Campsite on the way down in the loire,
 photo france1_zps18f72e91.jpg
 photo france2_zps8b4ea395.jpg
The weir the night before
 photo france5_zpsd0d76080.jpg
everyone ready to go
 photo france6_zps9fc2972d.jpg
Clive at the steps
 photo france11_zps9d05402e.jpg
Jim at the steps
 photo france12_zps8db658c7.jpg
Pit stop at the cross
 photo france17_zpsac4ac8ef.jpg
 photo france15_zps2c115440.jpg
 photo france16_zps6b71d9c4.jpg
camping by the lake
 photo france21_zpsb12b8b24.jpg
 photo france20_zpsd1595fbb.jpg
mist in the morning
 photo france22_zps06e85afa.jpg
kustlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #132
muddymatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Many Thanks From Muddy Matt

Big thanks to Charles and also Gazz for sorting this trip out.

I had an excellent trip with no issues and thoroughly enjoyed myself getting into the usual scrapes and mischief that have come to be associated with trail riding trips. (well for me that is )

I was going to do a brief write up with a few of my photos and had been wondering how to start it. All of the words come from "Timpo's Book of Truth" which I managed to keep out of his hands for a week.

I had pondered about this being the title for a write up but after 3 hours of trying to clean my bike, my kit and now my body, drive and house of red mud I have come up with a suitable title.

I should also add after cutting my hands to ribbons clawing said mud off my bike I took the case saver off to clean around the front sprocket. All done I thought and started the bike to check. All good so I headed off around the block to dry the chain. Please remember folks that the case saver also holds on the clutch actuation casing which will spill copious amounts of oil over your drive and involve some frantic loctiteing and bolting up.

By the way the crossed out writing does saying fecker.

Anyway the red mud tale will have to wait.

Sat May 11th

I finished work on Friday having had a busy night packing my van ready for the trip. I was happy with my kit and bike and was looking forward to the adventure.

On Sat my dad asked me to help him get his 1938 Norton 16H running so after a few carb strips and long lunges I went for a ride on it, funny I didn't notice the solid rear end or girder forks I was still getting to grips with the advance and retard and the funny gearbox on the wrong side.

Playtime over I headed up to Gazz's and Lenny was already there. The usual messing around with sat navs and loaded up saw us on a nice steady journey to Portsmouth. We stopped off at a steakhouse and had a massive grill before
meeting the others at the Ship and Anchor before it was time to get to the dock and wait to be loaded. If you have a van with blacked out windows and wide wheels it is to be expected that you will be pulled at customs even if you have a mild mannered archaeologist in the front seat.

We must be getting sensible as a couple of pints in the bar and we headed for our cabins for some sleep.

Sun 12th May

An early awakening at 0700 French time meant we were soon ready to be herded off the ferry Lenny had a little lie in and arrived on the vehicle deck with perfect timing as we were about to leave.

Bit of confusion as we left the ferry led to us getting split up so our team opted for the map with a highlighted line approach. Timpo had sorted a route in his sat nav that he was happy with. Vasco de Garmin co piloting Rick soon had him heading back to Paris.

An uneventful drive down saw us get to the familiar campsite. A few of the Irish contingent were already there plus some familiar faces.

Chris "mines a red wine" Barnes look like he is wrenching the cork out of another bottle on this photo.

We all retired to the bar for a nice meal of duck with plenty of red wine and beer before wobbling back to tents or vans ready for the ride the next day.

To Be Continued

muddymatt screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 12:48 PM
muddymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #133
Famous
Goin down hill fast

Thanks again Charles for the chance to ride the cracking trails

I really enjoyed it even with the few mishaps

It was good to meet all of you again and look forward to next time.

The luck of the Irish continues with the failure of the clutch release bearing (I think) outside Perigueux
So that led to an interesting 850 km to the ferry with no left pedal
Anyway on the ferry now

Looking forward to the write up Matt
Old 05-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #134
Rondini
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thanks Charles

A fabulous event folks - lovely trails to ride and lovely people to ride them with! A big thanks to Charles for the work you put in on arranging the weeks trails and camping. And thanks to Muddymat for leading our group with his usual style and patience - he was the epitome of calmness, even when we were all plastered in red mud and Fionas dead bike was still sinking. Oh, and muchos thanks to Ricky A. for transporting me in luxery. Looking forward to seeing you all on the trail again very soon. Pete
Rondini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #135
muddymatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Monday 13th May

Monday 13th May

Monday dawned with slightly fuzzy heads and lovely sunshine. People soon busied themselves with trying not to forget anything and make sure that they were not late for the off.

I had spoken with my team which was slightly depleted and arranged to leave at 0930 to let other groups head off and so we could go at our own pace.

So after breakfast people started to congregate. During breakfast I was told that Rose and Danny had arrived from WYOA and also the rest of the Irish contingent.

Despite his holiday being cut short due to a broken KTM 690 Danny was still on good form and Rose had decided to do a few days riding so he was dropping her off. I noticed a this point a little blue bike being assembled by Fiona. Not far away I bumped into Famous who was busy getting his bike loaded and changing into his ready to race KTM suit. A bit of banter took place over the fact that he would be busy doing Fiona's butlering as on past trips. (That entails getting up very early and making her tea and breakfast ready for when she wakes and emerges from her tent)

Anyway I was getting excited so kitted up and moved my bike into the ever growing throng of people ready to leave.

Some of us are a little different and like to get ready on their own.

Charles arrived and he and Gazz had a quick debate. Due to a few changes I thought my group would consist of RickA,Rhondini and myself. Old chums from a number of trips it would make for a nice relaxing trip. Gazz asked if we could take Rose and Fiona to make up our numbers. Now Rose would be no problem a veteran of many off road trips and more than capable of looking after herself. Fiona ?? I already knew about her legendary toughness and keenness to finish the days trail but what about the butlering I hadn't even packed a stove! Still they come as a package Fiona, Precious (the satnav) and chappie (the naughty WR250).

I mentioned the butlering to Seamus but with his ever present smile he said it would be fine.

After a few groups had departed I led out from the camp site along the road towards the supermarket where we could get some fuel and food.

Proud of leading my little team out on the first day I heard some frantic beeping and after a mile or so realised I was driving on the wrong side of the road. Not a good start things could only get better.

After fueling up I had planned to get some food but after perusing the local supermarket there was no bread available so we headed off with our knapsacks empty.

We did some lovely trails in the warm sunshine getting into the swing of things heading into the wood we came to our first test a little rocky climb followed by a longer climb then along a rock ridge down to the road with a worrying drop to your left hand side.

Our team all did superbly on the first little obstacle.

Little chappie scampered up with no problem before I could get a proper shot. His owner must spend quite a bit of time on a bike.

One of the Irish parties caught up with us and were impressive by the way they made short work of the next steep hill. Inside though I was proud that all 5 of our team made it up with no effort as well.

WE let the group carry on ahead of us but we were making good progress. We had opted to avoid the river crossings as the other groups did to avoid any water issues too early in the trip.

We came across a fallen tree blocking our path but Vasco de Garmin found a way around and we took a slight detour which involved Rose becoming acquainted with a tree. After seeing Rose's mishap Fiona guided chappie straight into the same predicament. Whether it was attention seeking or failure to heed advice I couldn't be entirely sure but Vasco was there to put team chappie back on the straight and narrow.

We came to the base of a steep rocky climb which made me a bit nervous but as ever when you are at the top it never seems that hard. I walked down and called the rest of the team up.

Fiona managed to find the only tree on the climb and chappie soon cocked his leg against it.

We all made it too the top however with no more incidents.

We carried on through lovely green lanes a little damp but great all the same. At one point we found ourselves stuck in an orchard, I managed to force my way onto the sunken lane below and went along to find a suitable place where the rest could descend.

As I turned round to see where the other were I put my right foot down. Promptly followed by myself and then the bike going on top of me into a 3 foot ditch.

I was lucky that the ladies soon came to my aid.

We carried on into another wood and Rose soon proved what a lover of mud she is. The lane had deteriorated into mud and was getting worse I saw a patch of water ahead. A track had been made into the wood beside it so I took that and walked back to advise my colleagues.

Rick heeded my advice.

I heard Vasco say that it looked OK up the lane and like a true gent he let Rose go first.

The stinking mud stopped Rose's bike and needed a team effort to get it out. Fiona was quickly in up to her knees and having the latest waterproof boots must have been confident she would be OK. Waterproof or not when the mud come up to your knees you are going to struggle.

Vasco and I hauled on a strap to pull the bike to terra firma (for all you strap strap spotters it was a white one.

Funnily enough Vasco changed his mind and caught us up coming through the forest diversion. It was getting late and people were getting hungry so we came off the track to head to a town and supermarket. Sat on a wall we feasted on our delights. Ricky had a sandwich the size of which would make Scooby jealous. Rose was shattered as she had been travelling for most of the last 24hrs so headed for the campsite whilst we carried on the track

We got back on the track enjoying great trails. I recognised a town I had stayed in before we went up to the campsite in Sarlat a very pleasant location the capital tourist town in the Dordogne.

Arriving at around 1900 it was a case of get the tents up before showering and heading off on the long walk down the hill.

We headed downhill into the town and ate at the same restaurant I had two years before near to the massive door. The pizza was great, Rick managed to make the first beer evaporated with his eyes just by looking at it.

We found another local bar for one more before long walk back up the hill which means you are sober by the time you arrive back at the campsite. The campsite bar being closed it was an early night.

The first day had been a successful one
muddymatt is offline   Reply With Quote