User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
benwr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Summer Riding Jackets

I have Scott Turn TP textile jacket, which is fairly heavy without the liner and has no vents. It is unusable in hot weather. I am looking for a mesh jacket with armor. Something really light! Any recommendations?
benwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
MaxSeven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
The Rev'it Airwave or Levante jackets are very good for hot weather. BMW makes a good one too.
MaxSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #3
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Vanson vent max, or something like that
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
ExDucRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I bought this Rev'it for $179 and it works great.

http://www.cyclegear.com/REVIT-Force...orcycle-Jacket
ExDucRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
I have the REvit Airwave. Light, and fairly well made. Only nit-picks are that it has a very light duty zipper (it split on me once already) and the pockets are tight and non-waterproof. I need to carry a liner (it doesn't come with one) for temps below about 70
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
OnlyWayToGo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
KLIM Induction Jacket. I could live in it! Great protection and it fits me (6', 155LB) very well. My advise - go with a light color no matter what you buy.
OnlyWayToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
kwb377
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I've gone through about a dozen mesh jackets in the last couple of years trying to find a favorite.

I've had this one for a couple of months and really like it...

Rev'It! GT-R

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...textile-jacket
~ IBA #55309
'11 Ninja 1K
'04 200 EXC
'82 GS650G
http://www.bikepics.com/members/kwb377/
kwb377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:16 AM   #8
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 220
Depending on the ride I wear either a Vanson perforated leather jacket, or a Scorpion Master mesh jacket (I think that one may be discontinued) in hot weather. Both work quite well for me, and flow lots of air.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:04 AM   #9
robdr1
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWayToGo View Post
KLIM Induction Jacket. I could live in it! Great protection and it fits me (6', 155LB) very well. My advise - go with a light color no matter what you buy.
Get's my vote, excellent mesh jacket.

I use mine in 30 degree plus heat here in Colombia, breathes very well.
robdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #10
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
Find a used BMW Venting Machine jacket. I've bought a couple for $ 125 and sold them for the same price. They don't have logos on them so they work with any bike. They make an updated Venting Jacket but it sells for much more.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
MaxSeven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Find a used BMW Venting Machine jacket. I've bought a couple for $ 125 and sold them for the same price. They don't have logos on them so they work with any bike. They make an updated Venting Jacket but it sells for much more.
Agreed, the Beemer stuff is top-notch. I am amazed every time I try on the various BMW garments and gear, always superior workmanship. Should be though, for the price :)
MaxSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #12
yellowcarbon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I used to ride in a Vanson perforated leather jacket, but it was too hot when stopped at lights. Of course, this is in Phoenix during the summer on a work commute. It works well enough for longer trips, but it did keep the heat in vs. mesh. I still used it for road trips, but it sat in the closet during the weekly commute.

So I switched to a Vanson Ventilator mesh jacket for my commute. It has leather patches at the elbows and shoulders along with solid panel along the shoulder, arms and back. It works very well for summer commuting. The mesh body didn't inspire confidence, but I didn't show up to work completely covered in sweat. It was also small enough when off the bike that I could carry it without much effort when running errands.

Then I switch to a Motoport Kevlar mesh jacket. This is the ticket and I wished I found it sooner. It moves 90% of the air that a standard nylon mesh moves as the weave is much tighter. It also has a chest pad built in, which I think is worth the lowered air flow. But the protection is much more confidence inspiring. Standard mesh gear feels like a toy compared to this jacket. I have a 3/4 jacket & over pants that I ride it and it works very well. I can ride in 110 degree weather with full protection and not pass out from the heat. I liked it so much that I bought a second Motoport mesh jacket in hi-viz yellow to replace my grey one. Now my Vanson perforated & mesh jacket just sit.

Now is a great time to look for either a new or used summer jacket. All the various retailers have their mesh gear on sale as it is the beginning of fall. You may keep your eye out on the gear for sale section. You can find used Motoport Kevlar mesh gear for not much more than the price of new nylon mesh gear. The Motoport Kevlar mesh is very durable, so being used isn't a big concern.
yellowcarbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
bumper1871
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Thumb

I have the Alpinestars Cape Town. Great in hot weather and good protection. Very satisfied.
bumper1871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
THRASHED
Moving on Up

Oddometer: 260
I wear the Fox Racing Titan Sport. Super ventilated and the first one survived many downs...in dirt. The on on the freeway shredded a bit of the mesh, but from the condition of the armor it also saved my elbow and shoulder from serious damage. I went right out and bought the same one.

Of course, with winter coming up, I'm getting ready to pick up the Fieldsheer Adventure Pro. Right now I just put a big jacket over it on cooler days but it is way too bulky.
THRASHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #15
benwr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
lots of great suggestions, i will keep my eye out for a sale over the winter.
benwr is offline   Reply With Quote