User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
Planespotting OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Rain gloves?

I am looking for protective gauntlet gloves to wear in the rain on my Multi. I will be going on a week-long trip and do not have any rain gear yet. I was about to order Alpinestars Drystars but have just read someone that said they soaked through in 15 minutes. I'll most likely be getting Sidi Strada rain boots and Ducati Strada rain suit. Any gear recommendations are appreciated.
Planespotting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planespotting
I am looking for protective gauntlet gloves to wear in the rain on my Multi. I will be going on a week-long trip and do not have any rain gear yet. I was about to order Alpinestars Drystars but have just read someone that said they soaked through in 15 minutes. I'll most likely be getting Sidi Strada rain boots and Ducati Strada rain suit. Any gear recommendations are appreciated.
Only one short test but they performed flawlessly. www.rain-off.com
A riding buddy has similar units from Aerostitch and he loves them.

Good luck!
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
mhumphrey
BMW 2009 R1200GS

Oddometer: 145
Avoid Held "Warm 'n Dry"

Avoid Held "Warm and Dry" gloves. THey are neither warm nor dry, and on top of that they were massively overpriced. Also, they don't stand behind their products. Will be the last Held product of any sort that I buy.
mhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I use the Aerostich "lobster claw" glove covers over my normal dry-weather gloves when it rains. These are the gloves that look like a mitten except the part of the mitten in which your four fingers normally go is split in two, for two fingers in one section and two in the other (of course there is a seperate finger for the thumb). I'm not sure what Aerostich calls them, but you can find them on their web site. I've worn them many times in the rain and they do a great job of keeping my hands dry. I wear Frogg Toggs to keep the rest of me dry.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
I too use the Aerostich lobster claw over gloves, but they're not perfect: the elastic at the end of the gauntlet does not get tight enough to prevent water from running down your arm into the glove and the visor wiper on the left glove is in the wrong place to be useful...should be on the index finger "claw" rather than on the thumb "claw." Just a couple of niggles with an otherwise fine product!
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
My cheapness knows no bounds. I buy food-service gloves, the longer gauntlet style ($4 for a whole box of them). They stow in my jacket pockets, almost unnoticeable, they go over the entire glove and with a little velcro strap cinch up on my wrists just fine. Best of all, they're 100% waterproof, all day long, in the worst downpour, and so thin they don't affect feel at all.

I never understood the attraction of waterproof gloves, I tried two pair and both were either leaky after a while or hot and clammy.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 498
I use the aerostich glove covers as well, so far so good. I've had them in 4 or 5 good soakers.

I would avoid the Sidi boots though. Mine worked well for about 2 or 3 rides. Now my feet are soaked by the time I get to where I'm going. Even if we're talking about a :15 rain shower. I contacted Sidi and they said the fibers eventually loose their water proof'ness and there is nothing that can be done about it My next boots will be goretex and they will NOT be Sidi.

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Hmm, I've got the Sidi Vertigo 2 Tepor and the Discovery Rain boots... I've used the Vertigo 2's for about 5 years, and the Discos for about one, and I've never had either of them leak on me at all. I'd say they both tie as best boot I've ever worn, just for different types of bikes/riding.

Oh, and to keep it on topic... I use the Aerostich lobster claws as well, and they're great. Sometime soon I'll be investing in the Dainese Jericho gloves for use in wet/cold weather though.
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
peanut_gallery
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset
My cheapness knows no bounds. I buy food-service gloves, the longer gauntlet style ($4 for a whole box of them). They stow in my jacket pockets, almost unnoticeable, they go over the entire glove and with a little velcro strap cinch up on my wrists just fine. Best of all, they're 100% waterproof, all day long, in the worst downpour, and so thin they don't affect feel at all.

I never understood the attraction of waterproof gloves, I tried two pair and both were either leaky after a while or hot and clammy.
Same here but im gonna have to look into getting some velcro cinches.

There is a natural human reluctance to abandon ones entire life and start over somewhere else - Jeff Lindsay
peanut_gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 977
http://www.aerostich.com/rain-glove-covers.html

Used to be blue, now green. Works swimmingly well.
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 498
You know, on several down pour days I've considered wearing my steel toe rubber work boots Kind of hard to pack for a trip though.

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhumphrey
Avoid Held "Warm and Dry" gloves. THey are neither warm nor dry, and on top of that they were massively overpriced. Also, they don't stand behind their products. Will be the last Held product of any sort that I buy.
Ah! I see we buy our "wateproof" gloves from the same place.

I've never owned an actual pair of motorcycle gloves that are actually "waterproof".

I have a pair of heavy, neoprene kayaking gloves that have welded seams and are completely waterproof. They're big enough to fit over my Gerbing heated glove liners or over a pair of non-electric liners.

Viol! Warm and waterproof.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #13
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,681
Had a pair of Rukka Xtrafit; expensive and not warm but very dry.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyer37
You know, on several down pour days I've considered wearing my steel toe rubber work boots Kind of hard to pack for a trip though.
*cheapness, cough* small trash can liner bags go over your whole boot, 100% waterproof even in the worst downpour. Looks not so sexy, but totally effective. They also stretch past the top of your boot, tucking in, so no chance of water working it's way in.

I like having a boot (and glove) where I don't really give a crap about its waterproofness, in fact I like a boot that really breathes well so these cheap solutions aren't just penny-pinching they're born from my desire to have very comfy dry weather gear and wet-gear that can be easily brought along or stowed.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I use the TCX Airtech boots. Have worn them in many heavy rain storms, sometimes for hours, and never had wet feet, and when it's hot out they allow some air to flow through them. Aerostich lobster claws, Airtech boots and Frogg Toggs make a great combination. Works so well sometimes I ride in the rain just for fun.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote