User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
coopercat OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Noob question

im a new rider and i have not got decided on a bike yet i am thinking about a klr650 newer than 09, xr650l or tw200 if you have any other sugestions im openminded. i want to do weekend camping with it. the only things i need it to do are go through some snow in logging roads not alot of snow like about 6 inches at most carry my gear and i also need to be able to slide it under thoes yellow fences that they use to block parks driveways and campsights in the winter.
i apologise if im in the wrong part of the fourm like i said im a noob, any input would be gratly apreceated, thanks
coopercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
daveinoh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
TW200, no question. Having had to pick up a KLR on more than one occasion, TW200.

I know others are much more gifted at riding offroad than I am, but i would be eternally puckered riding my KLR in even an inch of snow.

Don't discount the TW because of that little engine, It has a lot of heart, it'll get you there. All your riding buddies will be jealous!
The Toad Goeth East http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729961
daveinoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopercat View Post
im a new rider and i have not got decided on a bike yet i am thinking about a klr650 newer than 09, xr650l or tw200 if you have any other sugestions im openminded. i want to do weekend camping with it. the only things i need it to do are go through some snow in logging roads not alot of snow like about 6 inches at most carry my gear and i also need to be able to slide it under thoes yellow fences that they use to block parks driveways and campsights in the winter.
i apologise if im in the wrong part of the fourm like i said im a noob, any input would be gratly apreceated, thanks
If you are new to riding I'd be sure to stay away from snow. I'm sure some will argue, but riding in any snow is PITA. Now, cold fresh powder over non-icy ground might be good, but 6"...you aint going far. Also, My $.02 - If I'm not correct, they put those "yellow fences" (Aka Gates), on places they don't want you riding. You risk fines, hassles and giving other riders a bad name for going around them.

That being said, if you're stuck on that idea the TW would be me choice. Low, so you can paddle your way through snow when you get stuck. Smaller so it's easier to turn around when you get stuck. Not the best bike for longer rides though compared to the 650's.

My advice, buy a KLR for your first bike, and get some snowshoes for your winter adventures.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote