ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
DR-DRZ
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Hervey Bay
Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Just a heads up / get a ride in while you still can....The speed limit on some popular victorian riding roads is about to be reduced - from 100 to 80. Mentioned in our local paper (sorry...no link available...small town syndrome)

Roads affected include:

Licola road
Bonang highway entire fun section that's right, 108 km of twisties where they can hide speed cameras.
Sections of the alpine way / omeo hwy (already heavilly policed )

Anyone want to buy a guzzi v11...looks like it's back to the postie bike for me.
I'm surprised this wasn't pushed through before the Moto GP, oh well just in time for WSBK's.
__________________
Benellli Tre-K 1130
DR-DRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
wozzamatta
Adventurer
 
wozzamatta's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: South West of Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 99
The sad part is that these aren't the only roads around Vic that have had their speed limits lowered from 100 kph to 80 kph and in some cases 60 kph.

There are quite a few roads that have long sections of 80 kph (Blackwood, Daylesford, Whittlesea, GOR just to name a few) with stretches of 20, 30 or more kms quite common.

Personally I think it is a stealthy way of lowering the Vic default speed limit from 100 kph to 80 kph in the name of lowering the road toll, if no one is driving fast then they won't get killed, give it 10 years at this rate and the only 100 kph roads left will be the highways out of the state.
wozzamatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
icekube1
Middle aged git
 
icekube1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Can'tberra, Australia
Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cook View Post
I don't see what the problem is,if you want to go fast go racing. Phillip Island,Broadford, there are plenty of options.


Blah, blah, blah.

When did the 100km/hr speed limit become racing?

Read: "I'm incapable of safely maintaining a reasonable pace, so the rest of you have to be draged down to my level of incompetency"
__________________
Cheers

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #19
Captn Spock
Adventurer
 
Captn Spock's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Reservoir, Victoria, Australia
Oddometer: 52
I think Australia will quickly become the slowest moving first world country by roads very quickly. The guy on the guzzi who wants to sell it because of this...
mate spare a thought for blokes like us who have super sports bikes. my zx6 will do 100kmph in first gear, if one was inclined. It is painful to ride a bike like that at 60 and 80 kmph. they're begging to be ridden well above 100 kmph just to feel normal.

And the guy who made the silly comment on going to PI and broadford; this is not about racing my friend. this is about 100 and 110 kmph sections being killed to laughable speeds. Only folks that are happy with a speed reduction from 100 kmph are the ones who're redlining their posties to get to 100!
__________________
new to adventure riding...
Captn Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #20
Precis
Maladroit malcontent
 
Precis's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lumpy part of Victoria
Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by icekube1 View Post

Blah, blah, blah.
When did the 100km/hr speed limit become racing?
Read: "I'm incapable of safely maintaining a reasonable pace, so the rest of you have to be draged down to my level of incompetency"
+1 (Merely incompetence, btw...)
Lowest common denominator of skill required. The official line on Advanced Driver Training is that the authorities don't like it, as it leads to "over-confidence"....
Fcukwits
__________________
"I would like to die on Mars; just not on impact." Elon Musk
Precis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #21
Precis
Maladroit malcontent
 
Precis's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Lumpy part of Victoria
Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzamatta View Post
The sad part is that these aren't the only roads around Vic that have had their speed limits lowered from 100 kph to 80 kph and in some cases 60 kph.

There are quite a few roads that have long sections of 80 kph (Blackwood, Daylesford, Whittlesea, GOR just to name a few) with stretches of 20, 30 or more kms quite common.

Personally I think it is a stealthy way of lowering the Vic default speed limit from 100 kph to 80 kph in the name of lowering the road toll, if no one is driving fast then they won't get killed, give it 10 years at this rate and the only 100 kph roads left will be the highways out of the state.
One old firie complained to me the other day that while neither his house nor the firestation have moved and the road is wider and straighter, while once he could respond to a turnout at 100 km/h, it's now 60 km/h all the way - yet CFA now expect us to get a truck out the door 20% faster than we did last year.....
__________________
"I would like to die on Mars; just not on impact." Elon Musk
Precis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
Dr AT OP
(KTM quack)
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: maffra, vic
Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Spock View Post
I think Australia will quickly become the slowest moving first world country by roads very quickly. The guy on the guzzi who wants to sell it because of this...
mate spare a thought for blokes like us who have super sports bikes. my zx6 will do 100kmph in first gear, if one was inclined. It is painful to ride a bike like that at 60 and 80 kmph. they're begging to be ridden well above 100 kmph just to feel normal.

And the guy who made the silly comment on going to PI and broadford; this is not about racing my friend. this is about 100 and 110 kmph sections being killed to laughable speeds. Only folks that are happy with a speed reduction from 100 kmph are the ones who're redlining their posties to get to 100!
Nup, 80 k's is too slow for the postie as well, and that's a 40 year old ct 90

My guzzi feels very relaxed at 100 ish on a twisty road, it wakes up at licence loosing speed, but that's not what I bought it for. Every couple of weeks I want to leave the hassle of the surgery behind, turn off the mobile, and wander up to licola / dargo / omeo for a cup of coffee and a chat with the locals. This has probably saved more lives than the proposed speed limits will ever save! i've lost count of the number of times I've done a consult up there. Towns like Liola, Dargo, and Omeo are going to suffer without mtorcyclsts spending.
Dr AT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #23
dobbo
Studly Adventurer
 
dobbo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Riverina
Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
One old firie complained to me the other day that while neither his house nor the firestation have moved and the road is wider and straighter, while once he could respond to a turnout at 100 km/h, it's now 60 km/h all the way - yet CFA now expect us to get a truck out the door 20% faster than we did last year.....

your Brigade must operate under a different Act to ours (FRNSW),
"Proceed with all due speed" under lights and siren.

Its easier for the Gov-vermon, to reduce speed limits rather that fix the roads, then make cash from anyone, competent enough to exceed the decreased speed limit.
dobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #24
nick g
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Nup, 80 k's is too slow for the postie as well, and that's a 40 year old ct 90

My guzzi feels very relaxed at 100 ish on a twisty road, it wakes up at licence loosing speed, but that's not what I bought it for. Every couple of weeks I want to leave the hassle of the surgery behind, turn off the mobile, and wander up to licola / dargo / omeo for a cup of coffee and a chat with the locals. This has probably saved more lives than the proposed speed limits will ever save! i've lost count of the number of times I've done a consult up there. Towns like Liola, Dargo, and Omeo are going to suffer without mtorcyclsts spending.
you should star an off shoot of the practice- go mobile at all the small places you mention, maybe give you incentive to ride to work,
nick g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #25
barra
trying to get there
 
barra's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Townsville
Oddometer: 1,371
I think I might have to agree with the government. Motorcycles are dangerous and I think we should introduce a national government by back scheme. The same as johhny did to the gun folk.

As it might be the only way I can SELL MY KLR
barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #26
James Cook
O.H.M.S
 
James Cook's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Hamilton Victoria Aus
Oddometer: 519
Speed Limits

Sitting here waiting to see if I have to go to the fires in the SW, so may as well keep the debate going.

ON the 12-3-12 a mate and I were heading over Dinner Plain on the way to the Blue Rag. Came onto a short straight, there was a patrol car stopped in the middle of the road,cop waving us over. There was already 6 or 7 other go fast bikes already pulled over. Policeman came over,there had been a few accidents of late,he said, and they were just letting riders know they were about. While we were waiting for the police to do their usual checks one of the other riders came over for a chat, he was telling us how the day before one of their group ,the corner had tightened up on him,over the bank,wrote his bike off and was flown to Melbourne in a bad way. As the guy left he said '' Makes you think you should slow it down a notch''. I thought it would be better if that thought come yesterday.

I would like to think the rider who had the accident made it, if anyone knows if would be grateful to know
James Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #27
mitch
Beastly Adventurer
 
mitch's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Townsville ,Queensland, Australia
Oddometer: 1,325
Question

Do you get to take yours home after you knock off

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo View Post
your Brigade must operate under a different Act to ours (FRNSW),
"Proceed with all due speed" under lights and siren.

Its easier for the Gov-vermon, to reduce speed limits rather that fix the roads, then make cash from anyone, competent enough to exceed the decreased speed limit.
__________________
mitch
02 GSA written off by a DRUNK in pickup.
04 GSA Written off by a pickup.
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #28
jacksonracingcomau
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn Spock View Post
I think Australia will quickly become the slowest moving first world country by roads very quickly. !
I like your turn of phrase, "quickly become the slowest"
Has been for a very long time now, kiwis had blanket 80kmph once as yanks had 55mph but they both upped theirs.
Officially, of course we're not as NT has 130, the rest 110 in certain spots so the pollies never claim slowest in world.
If you do a distance/speed limit we win (lose?) hands down.
But the truth is we are one of the worst in fatalities/ distance driven, if I said the only way to improve that would be $5 a litre fuel, I wouldn't get elected. If this slows down those that were going to crash, is it so bad ?

Bonang Hwy etc unlikely to be camera'd nor will police be setting up traps midweek, time and place, gentlemen, just as it was at 100kmph limit.

Big events (GP, WSBK etc) do bring police out, but knowledge is power, choose wisely.
jacksonracingcomau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #29
Dr AT OP
(KTM quack)
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: maffra, vic
Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonracingcomau View Post

Bonang Hwy etc unlikely to be camera'd nor will police be setting up traps midweek, time and place, gentlemen, just as it was at 100kmph limit.
.
Just like you wouldn't expect to get booked on the alpine way near tom groggin (were they drop the limit to 60 k's ). Even cops get booked there
Dr AT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #30
jacksonracingcomau
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Just like you wouldn't expect to get booked on the alpine way near tom groggin (were they drop the limit to 60 k's ). Even cops get booked there
And , it has been said, they are our most prolific crashers, so that's prob a really, really good thing.
No sympathy from this black duck.
jacksonracingcomau is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014