Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #31
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonracingcomau View Post
I like your turn of phrase, "quickly become the slowest"
Has been for a very long time now, kiwis had blanket 80kmph once as yanks had 55mph but they both upped theirs.
Officially, of course we're not as NT has 130, the rest 110 in certain spots so the pollies never claim slowest in world.
If you do a distance/speed limit we win (lose?) hands down.
But the truth is we are one of the worst in fatalities/ distance driven, if I said the only way to improve that would be $5 a litre fuel, I wouldn't get elected. If this slows down those that were going to crash, is it so bad ?

Bonang Hwy etc unlikely to be camera'd nor will police be setting up traps midweek, time and place, gentlemen, just as it was at 100kmph limit.

Big events (GP, WSBK etc) do bring police out, but knowledge is power, choose wisely.
Even though (apparently) ( allegedly) our local cop has said he wont be enforcing the Bruthen, Ensay limit (because its stupid), and so as you point out, many times it wont be policed, BUT, part of the whole thing is that sometimes it will be, by highway patrol or speed camera and so they will get their money. There is going to be a lot of flack from this area so will be interesting if some amendment can be obtained to this blanket zone.
Graeme

omeoxlv screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 02:40 AM Reason: wrong about area concerned
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 AM   #32
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
I like your turn of phrase, "quickly become the slowest"
Has been for a very long time now, kiwis had blanket 80kmph once as yanks had 55mph but they both upped theirs.
Officially, of course we're not as NT has 130, the rest 110 in certain spots so the pollies never claim slowest in world.
If you do a distance/speed limit we win (lose?) hands down.
But the truth is we are one of the worst in fatalities/ distance driven, if I said the only way to improve that would be $5 a litre fuel, I wouldn't get elected. If this slows down those that were going to crash, is it so bad ?

Bonang Hwy etc unlikely to be camera'd nor will police be setting up traps midweek, time and place, gentlemen, just as it was at 100kmph limit.

Big events (GP, WSBK etc) do bring police out, but knowledge is power, choose wisely.
People are going to crash and die. We already have one of the lowest accident rates in the western world. Not sure if you've travelled but in the USA 120kph is normal. In Europe it's 130 plus kph.

We are different in that we seem to support this fucking police beauroracy that shows no signs of limiting its reach into our liberties. The govt hands the police more power in return for more revenue.

Get over it pal. Don't bring your commie 'bring everyone down to your level' approach - this country has far too manh of these 'new Australians'
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #33
jacksonracingcomau
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
People are going to crash and die

Get over it pal. Don't bring your commie 'bring everyone down to your level' approach - this country has far too manh of these 'new Australians'
Thanks for that, I'm over it already, if I were Fascist would it be easier ?, sorry mate, hated Franco's way too, he, Mussolini and your mate Adolph played similar games, guess you haven't travelled much.

Nothing wrong with that, good luck china, where were your great grandparent's from ?
jacksonracingcomau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #34
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Thanks for that, I'm over it already, if I were Fascist would it be easier ?, sorry mate, hated Franco's way too, he, Mussolini and your mate Adolph played similar games, guess you haven't travelled much.

Nothing wrong with that, good luck china, where were your great grandparent's from ?
It's not about what you care about - that's the beauty of individual liberty.

The problem with 'carers' like you is that you want to impact your inflexible approach on others rather than just leaving people to do things on their own.

That's liberty. Your mention of fascists shows your depth.

Next time you have an idea that controls others more, maybe keep it under wraps?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:31 AM   #35
jacksonracingcomau
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
It's not about what you care about - that's the beauty of individual liberty.

The problem with 'carers' like you is that you want to impact your inflexible approach on others rather than just leaving people to do things on their own.

That's liberty. Your mention of fascists shows your depth.

Next time you have an idea that controls others more, maybe keep it under wraps?
NFI about controlling you, listen if you will. I'm off on the road again, Wednesdays call me

I thought you called me a Commie, depth explanation for other readers please, I DNGAF
Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #36
DR-DRZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
IMHO the biggest problem with drivers today is, in most cases you only ever have to do one driving test.
This has been made easier and easier because everybody thinks it's their god given right to have a licence.
Not to mention all the do gooden tree huggers who preach that it's not nice to fail people for their incompetence.
Unlike a Pilot's licence where you must display knowledge and competency of a particular aircraft before you are endorsed to fly it.
This extends to when and where you can fly in regards to if you have a " visual flight rating " or an " instrument flight rating "
If obtaining a motor vehicle licence was as demanding as a pilots licence, roads would carry 1/3 of the traffic and road deaths almost non existent.
But like already said rules are made for the lowest common denominator and the government prefers to police the citizens and raise revenue than put their hands in their pockets and fix the roads.
Which leads to the point that the governments have ignored fixing roads for to long and it is now a case of " too little too late "
If speed was unsafe, motor racing would have been banned decades ago.
But nearly every weekend, compent drivers and riders go home no worse for wear after their high speed endeavors.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #37
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo View Post
your Brigade must operate under a different Act to ours (FRNSW),
"Proceed with all due speed" under lights and siren.

Its easier for the Gov-vermon, to reduce speed limits rather that fix the roads, then make cash from anyone, competent enough to exceed the decreased speed limit.
You misread - this is getting TO the station BEFORE getting on the truck - we are obliged to observe all road rules - and yes, I've been stopped by Plod, 200m from the station, when leaving after Sunday training.
Our Code One must be authorised by the OIC and permits us to go 20km/h over the ruling speed limit.

Having just spent 10 days touring central NSW, I can confirm there are sections of your "surfaced" roads that would make any Haitian politician embarrassed.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #38
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-DRZ View Post
IMHO the biggest problem with drivers today is, in most cases you only ever have to do one driving test.
This has been made easier and easier because everybody thinks it's their god given right to have a licence.
Not to mention all the do gooden tree huggers who preach that it's not nice to fail people for their incompetence.
Unlike a Pilot's licence where you must display knowledge and competency of a particular aircraft before you are endorsed to fly it.
This extends to when and where you can fly in regards to if you have a " visual flight rating " or an " instrument flight rating "
If obtaining a motor vehicle licence was as demanding as a pilots licence, roads would carry 1/3 of the traffic and road deaths almost non existent.
But like already said rules are made for the lowest common denominator and the government prefers to police the citizens and raise revenue than put their hands in their pockets and fix the roads.
Which leads to the point that the governments have ignored fixing roads for to long and it is now a case of " too little too late "
If speed was unsafe, motor racing would have been banned decades ago.
But nearly every weekend, compent drivers and riders go home no worse for wear after their high speed endeavors.
+1 In one of the Scandanavian countries (Sweden?), getting a driver's licence takes several months, because you HAVE to show you're competent in fog, dark, snow and ice because they have so much of each - often at the same times. The tests all take several hours and at one stage, someone will throw an object in your path, to test reflexes.
Having said that, the demented Dr Klaus Tingval was from there - he wants to ban motorcycles entirely: street, dirt, scooters, everything; he was paid shedloads of money by the Aus government as a 'consultant' years ago.
And I think Norway has a blanket 80km/h National maxium speed limit.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #39
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Just a heads up / get a ride in while you still can....The speed limit on some popular victorian riding roads is about to be reduced - from 100 to 80. Mentioned in our local paper (sorry...no link available...small town syndrome)

Roads affected include:

Licola road
Bonang highway entire fun section that's right, 108 km of twisties where they can hide speed cameras.
Sections of the alpine way / omeo hwy (already heavilly policed )

Anyone want to buy a guzzi v11...looks like it's back to the postie bike for me.
This would explain why the New Ninja 300 is now classified as a "Sports Tourer"

TOP 10 by Category - Sports Touring January - December, 2012 compared with January - December, 2011
Manufacturer Model Total
YTD 2012 YTD 2011 % Chg
Kawasaki Ninja 300 1066 0 100.0%

I suppose it is, when 60-80 is as fast as you can go.

And by the way all the top 10 selling bikes are under 300cc.

Which brings up this other tidbit.

On a trip back from the south coast on my overpowered and dangerous 1200cc Super Tenere, I was being followed by sports bikes in the national park, going ring ding ding ring. Had a bit of a chuckle but thought "that was me once"..

Then I had almost forgotten about that when I stopped at a set of lights at Liverpool and was surrounded by four fully sick race leather clad bro's on "hyper bikes". On green I thought I would just let them go by. I listened, because all that grunt takes concentration and you have to watch the road just in case you are about to murder someone, as the guy next to me ring dinged through three gears before I decided to change into second at 5K.

Things seem to be changing out there, either that or there was a ring ding convention in town at the time.

But they are cheap to run I suppose.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 05:07 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #40
Lerxstdawg
Wait...what?

Oddometer: 554
It's going to be next to impossible to change the attitude of governments. They will always defer to catering for the lowest possible common denominator. In other words, they will ALWAYS use speed as the culprit in 99.9% of "road trauma" cases. If, in some fantasy world, a government was to implement driving & riding classes in primary schools, continue such classes with an emphasis on skill development, maybe there is a chance to raise the level of drivers & riders to the point where limits can be set to sensible postings. It won't stop deaths on the roads, you can't legislate against stupidity and genuine errors of judgement, it is possible that we might raise the level of intelligence instead of making that lowest possible common denominator the state of the art. IMHO.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:00 AM   #41
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
why you should speak to your local MP

I have edited yesterdays post as I was wrong about the area of GAR being affected, its Ensay to Goat farm, not all the way to Bruthen as I first read it.
Nonetheless, it remains that this "improvement in road safety" announcement is a mixed bag as far as honesty goes.
As I now understand it, the speed limit is required because VicRoads are unable to upkeep the road(s) to a good enough standard and so in order to reduce their liability this reduction in speed limit is implemented. The improved curve advice signs are ok, especially as on the GAR the worst corners have none while ordinary ones might. For the visitor rider this presents a confusing and misleading expectation that the worst corners would be signed. I dont doubt that this alone has caused any number of "incidents"
You, we, all should look up our respective MP's online and use their email to let them know that this situation is not acceptable. For the GAR, some years ago the use of the road by B double log trucks came up to be approved or not. The road does not comply (then or now) with the requirements for B double use but of course, because of political will it was deemed to comply. They have been on it ever since and the truck drivers do a great job of keeping safe but the road does not meet the requirements for their use.Any regular road user has encountered them on the wrong side of the road.
Funding can be found also if the political will is there but it will not be unless MP's are made to understand that their constituents want it to be so.
Do not be abusive, that will get us nowhere. Do give this some thought and investigate things yourself, come to your own conclusions. Maybe this is the best way to go?
Bear in mind though that in all the areas concerned, money can always be found to improve roads, bridges or access to facilitate logging interests, the same interests which are responsible for the damage to these roads in many cases.
Its the old story you know, unless you speak up no one will hear you--------------
Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 AM   #42
jacksonracingcomau
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
I They have been on it ever since and the truck drivers do a great job of keeping safe but the road does not meet the requirements for their use.Any regular road user has encountered them on the wrong side of the road.--------
Graeme
'Nuff said, that was pretty clear, we're not allowed to say only the clever people can go fast, trained by Houdini, it is how it is, c'est la vie.
I wish those that travel, safe passage et bon voyage, those that want a carte blanche to travel beyond their capabilities,

bon chance mes amis

excuse my French, apparently I'm a commie !!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #43
Dr AT OP
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,940
Graeme, which mp did you speak to?
Dr AT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #44
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
'Nuff said, that was pretty clear, we're not allowed to say only the clever people can go fast, trained by Houdini, it is how it is, c'est la vie.
I wish those that travel, safe passage et bon voyage, those that want a carte blanche to travel beyond their capabilities,

bon chance mes amis

excuse my French, apparently I'm a commie !!
Well as far as I see, If you want to do whatever speed, you could. All you have to do is get a privately funded, pay as you enter, sign this disclaimer road and it's all yours. Then of course you might just have to pay your own medical bills in full.

On the other side you have publicly funded, the government decides the rules roads and you only get change if it looks like a polly is going to lose his job over it, and the government pays the large majority of your medical bills if you come unstuck.

Commie or capitalist doesn't really matter. There is a bunch of options between the two extremes as well and probably 20 million opinions on where the right compromise should be.

Just stop to think though how much you may be taking for granted.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #45
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
I have edited yesterdays post as I was wrong about the area of GAR being affected, its Ensay to Goat farm, not all the way to Bruthen as I first read it.-
Graeme
Where exactly is Goat Farm? A search on Google Maps says it is in W.A.