Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #46
jimkat
jim

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
Where exactly is Goat Farm? A search on Google Maps says it is in W.A.
Mate its a small area north of Bruthen , about 8 kms.
Just as the road is going into the bush .
That section from the goatfarm to Ensay is staying as it is now and not being reduced.

This was the hut that was at the Goatfarm. The Bartons used to run goats in the bush there.

jimkat screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 09:49 PM
jimkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:36 AM   #47
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkat View Post
Mate its a small area north of Bruthen , about 8 kms.
Just as the road is going into the bush .
That section from the goatfarm to Ensay is staying as it is now and not being reduced.

]This was the hut that was at the Goatfarm. The Bartons used to run goats in the bush there.
Good post. In earlier times it was a horse team change station along the way to Omeo.
Dr AT, not spoken with MP yet, just gathering local info. (up here its still "old families" with links everywhere, can be revealing)
It has been in the paper (I havent seen) that the plan is now on "hold" pending further investigation. Was lots of flack.
Now is the time then to speak to MP's about options. They will find it easier to implement another plan rather than just cancel this one.
I reckon:
*upgrade curve signage and improve loose stone situation. (I dont like signage either but if you are going to have it, then do it properly)
*improve Vic Roads repair methods (that last a day). Look seriously at using white stone more to assist with road melt.
*Install signage to encourage all users to "keep left" and to watch for traffic on blind corners.

Well, you can only try----
Graeme
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #48
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonracingcomau View Post
'Nuff said, that was pretty clear, we're not allowed to say only the clever people can go fast, trained by Houdini, it is how it is, c'est la vie.
I wish those that travel, safe passage et bon voyage, those that want a carte blanche to travel beyond their capabilities,

bon chance mes amis

excuse my French, apparently I'm a commie !!
I dont understand what you are saying but I bought a pair of your gloves (short blacks) a couple of years ago. Great for summer.
Graeme
Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #49
jacksonracingcomau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
I dont understand what you are saying but I bought a pair of your gloves (short blacks) a couple of years ago. Great for summer.
Graeme

No-one does, but they suffer me for my gear.
OT
Just spent a few days in Gippsland not the roads OP posted but (especially) Noojee- Yarragon , the Walhalla-Tyers and then Sth Gippy Hwy

FKN incredible potholes, most unsigned but even when they are it takes some avoidance skill.

Superb IMHO, if we going to have silly speed limits, at least make it challenging to travel at said limits. The Noojee one especially, this will train people (or kill them that can't learn)

this could be a clever new initiative to weed out the useless, a government sponsored "natural selection"
And I approve, was fun, trail riding on bitumen.
ADV /trail/ motard bikes might sell well too, some of the holes over a foot deep.

I think there is a huge problem with recent rain / high water table, I use these roads quite a lot, never seen em this bad.
jacksonracingcomau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #50
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

So, lets say you were going to have an opportunity on feb 11 to suggest to VicRoads representative that the signage used on GAR (omeo-bruthen) was less than useful to bikes and in fact seems to be done to confuse riders and drivers. Instead you are suggesting that an approach more along the lines of that used on the harrietville- hotham stretch which advises that the next ??kms has "sharp curves, lookout for oncoming traffic". was more effective than a blanket 80kmh speed limit.
I reckon the advice to "keep left" should be included but I think there are some very clever people out there who could have some very useful suggestions. A certain Africa Twin fan on this forum has already made a suggestion.
Looking for fair dinkum signage options, something that could actually be used.
Its all very well to argue that something shouldnt be done (80kmh limit) but you need to make an alternative suggestion and i am going to say that signage which advise clearly of a situation and puts the responsibility onto the rider / driver is better.. Less signage but more effective.
If you come up with it, I'll pass it on----------------------

Graeme
Old 01-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #51
Dr AT OP
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 2,008
You got it

Travel responsibly.

...perhaps with "Now outside of helimed range...... Nearest road trauma unit 4 hours"

Ps well done for taking this further
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 AM   #52
jacksonracingcomau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
I reckon the advice to "keep left" should be included
Graeme
Once or twice please, came back from PI today, loads of cars in RH lane, I hate to undertake but melb drivers MUST be in fast lane, they feel fast. Many bikes too Tell em KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING..
Sign says that every few hundred yards
Signs fine, teach them to read first
jacksonracingcomau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:38 AM   #53
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,898
And we thought we had it bad in Vic

WTF! WTF? WTF????
Just back from a few days away, took some awesome roads up through New South, that I thought no longer existed.

BUT.... One road takes the cake!
One road used to be on my regular day rides when I lived in Sydney, get out early on the weekend got for a run back home by lunch. Bells Line of Road. Back then, was 80-100kmh, twisty, up and down hills. Great road, back then.
Now, it's used to raising revenue.

Took it yesterday, 60kph all the way, so slow vehicles sit on 40kph. Then the overtaking lane, on the flats or down hills, so the slow vehicles and sit on 60, and you cannot pass them!
Oh did I mention the constant police presence? One followed me for the last 1/4 of the 60k zone, he'd back off for a while to make me think he turned off, only to zoom back up to check my speed. This is exactly the same tactic they pulled on the last time I rode the Old Pacific Hwy 15 years earlier... some things never change. they didn't get me then either.

And we thought we had it bad down here...
Old 02-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #54
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,282
You're lucky, you could see the police. How about camo coppers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-1...d-cops/4512224
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #55
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cook View Post
I don't see what the problem is,if you want to go fast go racing. Phillip Island,Broadford, there are plenty of options.
You sir are a disgrace to motorcycling. You should sell any bike you have immediately and never again, show your flouro wearing face anywhere near a bike ever again.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #56
itsgunnahurt
Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81 View Post
You're lucky, you could see the police. How about camo coppers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-1...d-cops/4512224
Hrmmm... I recall in the 80's nsw cops ran a program to be visible on all the roads, all the time in an effort to reduce the road toll. It seemed to be very effective, maybe it was just too effective :-)
Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #57
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
You sir are a disgrace to motorcycling. You should sell any bike you have immediately and never again, show your flouro wearing face anywhere near a bike ever again.
You might change your views if you've ever arrived at the scene of a major motorcycle crash - either as an Emergency Services worker or merely as a First-on-scene bystander.
Car crashes usually keep all the body parts inside the car, but bike crashes can get spread around the scenery. As a professional driver, it's a sad fact that many weekend riders are fools: too fast for conditions, loud, obnoxious bikes, monos in traffic, carving through traffic - you name it, I've seen it all.
I like going as quick as the next bloke, but there's a time and a place - and the street is a dumb place to race. Very few people who've done any serious racing will go quickly on the street - it's simply too dangerous.
As a 'bold' rider, I sincerely hope you live long enough to attain the wisdom & experience required to become an 'old' rider - as they say, "there are no old, bold riders".
Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #58
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgunnahurt View Post
Hrmmm... I recall in the 80's nsw cops ran a program to be visible on all the roads, all the time in an effort to reduce the road toll. It seemed to be very effective, maybe it was just too effective :-)
I seem to remember seeing a QLD police bike "cut out" sign by the side of the road, increasing police visibility! Worked to slow me down when I saw it and caused a great chuckle when I worked out it was a picture board!
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #59
Dr AT OP
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 2,008
Precis, can I just clarify what I'm sure you already mean. Wandering along at 100 on the roads mentioned is not racing.

Quite frankly, anyone racing on public roads deserves everything our law enforcers can throw at them. But dropping the speed limit on the roads mentioned is NOT going to make an ounce of difference to anyone racing on them. Racing on these roads would involve go to jail speeds, at least for any half way competent riders. I just want to be able to concentrate on the road / scenery rather than my speedo.
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #60
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Precis, can I just clarify what I'm sure you already mean. Wandering along at 100 on the roads mentioned is not racing.

Quite frankly, anyone racing on public roads deserves everything our law enforcers can throw at them. But dropping the speed limit on the roads mentioned is NOT going to make an ounce of difference to anyone racing on them. Racing on these roads would involve go to jail speeds, at least for any half way competent riders. I just want to be able to concentrate on the road / scenery rather than my speedo.

Agree completely AT. I do not condone "racing" on the road at any time. I Also don't condone dogooders, numpties , and sheeple, telling me that after 40 years of riding and racing bikes that I am not capable if making decisions on what speed I should be riding at relevant to the road conditions at the time, all in the name if road safety. This topic has nothing to do with road safety and everything to do with the authorities introducing oppressive rules on this countries citizens.

Why else are they engaging in comoflage and entrapment practices?
See pic below. How does this in anyway contribute to road safety?

mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote