ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #166
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
100LL is only "Low Lead" compared to other blends of avgas. But it still has lead, and you really don't want it being absorbed through your skin - something that occurs quite easily with gasolines.
So when I end up with cancer I'll blame all the parts washing with gasoline that I did as a young man.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #167
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum
 
Motornoggin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Lightning Bugs, High Plains Chapter
Oddometer: 20,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
That's good stuff, but I don't know for sure if it will.

Believe it or not, I've been quite impressed with Pine-Sol for carb dunking.
Good 'Ol Pine-Sol works great as a degreaser. I completely degreased an entire engine, disassembled, in a big plastic tub filled with Pine-Sol/water. The machine shop was impressed with how clean and bare the iron was. I let it soak for about three days.
__________________
O.K. Joke's over. You can bring back the constitution now. Please.

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #168
Bueller OP
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
So when I end up with cancer I'll blame all the parts washing with gasoline that I did as a young man.
I'm of the same generation. Some of my ex co-workers from the car biz have no ill effects whatsoever. Some have significant skin issues from repeated exposure. Some are survivors of less common cancers not normally contracted at the ages the disease showed up. Some are dead.

Was any of this caused by exposure to gasoline, asbestos, solvents, or the plethora of other petroleum products and chemicals associated with working in garages throughout the '80's, 90's, and early 2000's? We'll never know, but I can guarantee it didn't help!
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #169
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer
 
NDEBT's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Poteau Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,089
Ok. First off this is not the Raptor that did the jump in the wtf thread. We did supercharge this one and finished today.







I didn't get crazy test driving it as it only has 23 miles on it and that is the owners job but low end it is awesome and it sounds great with the Roush Exhaust. 590 claimed HP 570 lbs of torque. It is nice doing this when everything is brand new.

The boost gauge is kind of cool as the pod takes the place of the vent with airflow still going around it.

__________________
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #170
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 2,915
I guess that boost is doing it's job if you're getting 6.4 mpg. Ouch. Remind me not to get a supercharged raptor when looking for an economical commuter car.
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #171
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer
 
NDEBT's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Poteau Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
I guess that boost is doing it's job if you're getting 6.4 mpg. Ouch. Remind me not to get a supercharged raptor when looking for an economical commuter car.

One thing most people don't get is that is an average and this truck has just a few miles on it most of the time it has ran at idle checking for leaks after install that is 0 mpg.
__________________
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

NDEBT screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 06:55 PM
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #172
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
One thing most people don't get is that is an average and this truck has just a few miles on it most of the time it has ran at idle checking for leaks after install that is 0 mpg.
I know. And anyway, I don't think that potential raptor owners will really give a shit about mileage. . . . just had to point it out.
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #173
Tripped1
Likely Lost.
 
Tripped1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sandy Eggo
Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
I guess that boost is doing it's job if you're getting 6.4 mpg. Ouch. Remind me not to get a supercharged raptor when looking for an economical commuter car.

If you are looking for economy supercharging a 6.2L V-8 isn't exactly how I would go about it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenScummyTroll View Post
Show folks something with a clutch and carburetor, and it's like teaching a baboon to use a Macbook.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #174
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,116
I assume you Raptor enthusiasts have seen this.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #175
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪
 
HOT DAMN!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Hammond, IN.
Oddometer: 7,633
Picked out a 2013 Yukon XL for my business trip to Wisconsin. If you don't have an army of kids, who the hell needs a school bus like this. Good doG this thing is huge. The highway ride/maneuverability reminds of my parents floating 1974 Town Car.
__________________
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right
HOT DAMN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #176
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I'm of the same generation. Some of my ex co-workers from the car biz have no ill effects whatsoever. Some have significant skin issues from repeated exposure. Some are survivors of less common cancers not normally contracted at the ages the disease showed up. Some are dead.

Was any of this caused by exposure to gasoline, asbestos, solvents, or the plethora of other petroleum products and chemicals associated with working in garages throughout the '80's, 90's, and early 2000's? We'll never know, but I can guarantee it didn't help!

Not too long I bought a parts washer for my home shop....in shopping around I found that water based cleaners are about all you can come by anymore.....and they all work about equal no matter whos name is on the side of the can.

I ended up using PSC1000 from tractor supply, the key with me was I wanted it to not freeze in the winter, shop is un heated while I am not in it......seems to be doing an ok job.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #177
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: California, sometimes the coast, sometimes Tahoe
Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Well crap. I only did a short test drive just to see how I fit. Maybe I should rent one for a week or so to see how we like it. What else is out there in the small to mid size hatchback/wagon style in the low 20's that will return 30+ mpg?
If you can stretch to mid-20's, I just drove a Ford C-Max and was really impressed. Very quiet, good handling, good ride (firm without being harsh at all), the seats were very comfortable & supportive with good adjustability, tilt & telescope steering wheel, lots of back seat room, and a decent cargo area. The battery pack eats into cargo space a bit by raising the floor about 3 inches, but it also means that when the rear seats fold down, the cargo area is totally flat. Very high quality dash & door materials, although the rear door cards are hard plastic.

The CVT was nice, and didn't have that mooing shitbox attitude that the Scion IQ I drove a couple weeks ago had. Hybrid brakes tend to be a little grabby when you first toe into them, and the C-Max's are no exception, but the grabbiness is minor and by the second stop I had it figured out. Surprising power...picked up to highway speeds much more quickly and with far less drama than I was expecting. The steering was nicely weighted, quite quick, and very direct. The test drive was a mix of city, highway, and suburban areas with hills thrown in on each, and at the end the computer said I had averaged 44 mpg. Several times on the highway I was running battery only on level stretches, and a fair chunk of the rest of the test was on battery only. The transition between battery only and engine driven was totally seamless.

I liked it a lot. It drove like a good-handling, reasonably quick, normal car.
__________________
soldierguy

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #178
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
If you can stretch to mid-20's, I just drove a Ford C-Max and was really impressed. Very quiet, good handling, good ride (firm without being harsh at all), the seats were very comfortable & supportive with good adjustability, tilt & telescope steering wheel, lots of back seat room, and a decent cargo area. The battery pack eats into cargo space a bit by raising the floor about 3 inches, but it also means that when the rear seats fold down, the cargo area is totally flat. Very high quality dash & door materials, although the rear door cards are hard plastic.

The CVT was nice, and didn't have that mooing shitbox attitude that the Scion IQ I drove a couple weeks ago had. Hybrid brakes tend to be a little grabby when you first toe into them, and the C-Max's are no exception, but the grabbiness is minor and by the second stop I had it figured out. Surprising power...picked up to highway speeds much more quickly and with far less drama than I was expecting. The steering was nicely weighted, quite quick, and very direct. The test drive was a mix of city, highway, and suburban areas with hills thrown in on each, and at the end the computer said I had averaged 44 mpg. Several times on the highway I was running battery only on level stretches, and a fair chunk of the rest of the test was on battery only. The transition between battery only and engine driven was totally seamless.

I liked it a lot. It drove like a good-handling, reasonably quick, normal car.
Eh. As many miles as I expect to put on it, I'm not ready to trust a hybrid yet. I'm finally to the point of price shopping dealers. The first one flat out said no, and left it at that. I guess I'll have to go a bit higher to the next guy.
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #179
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!
 
NICO's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Oddometer: 22,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
I'm of the same generation. Some of my ex co-workers from the car biz have no ill effects whatsoever. Some have significant skin issues from repeated exposure. Some are survivors of less common cancers not normally contracted at the ages the disease showed up. Some are dead.

Was any of this caused by exposure to gasoline, asbestos, solvents, or the plethora of other petroleum products and chemicals associated with working in garages throughout the '80's, 90's, and early 2000's? We'll never know, but I can guarantee it didn't help!
Actually, we do know. Bladder cancer is one of the nasty side effects of using parts cleaning solvents with bare hands. Doesn't happen to everyone, but the incidence rates are higher. If you're interested, I'll see if I can dig up a legitimate source. (As if I am not a legitimate source. )
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #180
Bueller OP
Cashin?
 
Bueller's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Hide Away Hills, Ohio
Oddometer: 17,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
Actually, we do know. Bladder cancer is one of the nasty side effects of using parts cleaning solvents with bare hands. Doesn't happen to everyone, but the incidence rates are higher. If you're interested, I'll see if I can dig up a legitimate source. (As if I am not a legitimate source. )
Don't need it. That's one of the cancers one of my co-workers was afflicted with. It showed up in his mid 40's.
__________________
"Bueller, you're an island of sense in a sea of bullshit" - swimmer

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014