Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
scott0_1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Question Frying on a Jetboil

Hi everybody,
I'm looking for a stove to use on camping trips and I'm pretty much set on getting a Jetboil (either the Flash or Sumo). I've been looking into getting a frying pan to go along with it, but the Jetboil fry pan comes with a high price tag and some very negative reviews.

Some of the reviews I have read suggest it is too thin (so it is lightweight), heats too high in the centre and as it is not a non-stick pan, things stick like crazy to it. A video on YouTube showing an egg being scrambled seems to confirm these issues!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience using other fry pans on a Jetboil. If anyone has experience, pictures or videos, it would be a great help deciding if this is the way to go.

Thanks for the help!

Scott
scott0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,154
For frying, you don't just need a good frypan but also a wider flame pattern, especially if you don't have a thick (and heavy) frypan to distribute the heat.

You better search for a dedicated frying stove than a frying pan that works well with the Jetboil. As you know, the intended use of the Jetboil is...boiling water like its name suggests it. Whatever what you buy as a pan, it will never works that great.

I have a cheap stove with a "sunflower like" flame pattern that works great with a frying pan. Nothing like a cast iron pan on a professional gas stove mind you but not bad for a 10$ stove, really.

Yes...I said 10$

It works on the same Iso-Butane canister than the Jetboil and it packs small, I'd say something like 2x card decks side by side maximum, maybe a little less.

You can find it on Ebay or any chinese drop shipping site.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Outdoor-Mini-...ht_5126wt_1163

EDIT:

Found a picture of my stove. The square blue bag in the picture is its carrying bag.

SgtDuster screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 11:32 PM
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
I switched from the Jetboil to the Whisperlite for that reason. The Jetboil can be a real bear to do anything more than boil water. Great stove if youre carrying freeze dried food or for making coffee, but its got a VERY focused flame that will burn food if youre not really, really attentive.

If you want to carry any kind of real food to cook, Id give strong consideration to something like the Whisperlite. Mine uses the same iso-butane canisters, its not the International, but has a much softer, wider flame. The tradeoff is that youll have to pay more attention to wind protection for the stove. In windy conditions Ill either cook inside the vestibule of my tent or make a wind shield out of my panniers.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #4
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,478
Great post you guys.

I can see a collective synopsis forming already. It would seem if two riders were traveling/camping together, one should perhaps invest in and carry a Jet boil and the other go with a broad-flame compact stove such as those suggested, where as they both could make use of the same fuel canister, and have indeed the best of both worlds.

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

I just want to add that I'm not suggesting that you should CHANGE your Jetboil...but you could carry the stove above in addition to your setup.

Maybe it isn't the more "efficient" stove when it comes to only boil water (especially in windy condition) and someone could argue that he doesn't want to rely on a 10$ chinese stove only (I must say that mine always worked flawlessly though and knowing how a gas stove works, I'm not that concerned about issues more than I would with any other stove but YMMV).

So you could easily add it to your existing setup. Same canisters, packs small, weighs nothing and it's nice to have a backup. It's kinda cool to have a frying and simmering-able stove around at the campground.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
DaviGust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I have the same cheap stove, purchased on Amazon for $12 or so. The only thing I would like is an integrated ignition, rather than having to dig around for my lighter or match. Also, for fast boiling, there are several third party pots with the heat exchanger bottom that function very similar to the Jet Boil, and work fine with any stove.
DaviGust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
scott0_1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thumb

Thanks for the replies everybody! Some great ideas there.

I think the best solution for me is going to be the Jetboil and the additional stove.

KG6BWS, I was looking at the MSR line, but with the maintenance required as well as the patience needed to light them, I don't think I would be the ideal owner! Great idea using the panniers as a wind screen. I always use them as seats; I've never considered them for screens! Way better than tin foil!

Unstable Rider, I was thinking along the same line as you; the perfect combination would be others with a stove and me with a Jetboil, but you can never count on others having the equipment you need!

DaviGust, I'm wondering if an integrated ignition would make the unit bigger? I know it wouldn't be much, but when packing for a good trip, every bit of space it important!

Sgt Duster, thanks for the link and the photo. I'm putting my order in this weekend.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Scott
scott0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Be really careful with trying to cook with a JetBoil, after 5mins or so the base will start to melt (happened to me). These are made to only boil water in a short time and thats it. I worked at REI for a few years a few years ago, the rep told us this as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,967
I've always liked my little Coleman single burner similar to this.

mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
I mean the Jetboil is great at boiling water but what the heck if it can't simmer it's useless to me.

So big deal, it can boil water in 3 minutes my old Coleman white fuel will do it in 6 minutes. If three minutes less means that much to you I don't think you get the idea of camping. Personally the longer I stay close to the stove the longer I stay warm

It's important to me to be able to cook fish, eggs, meats etc. that I pick up along the way

Ron W.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Here's what I use...

video...
http://youtu.be/yxTksxbCCm8

Worked fine on my 45-day canoe trip last year. Pricey retail at $50, but I found mine on sale at Academy Sports for less than $20.

GSBS screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 02:33 PM
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

I was looking to find the frying pan you can see in my picture above but no luck, the Ebay seller no longer sells it and I can't find it anywhere else.

But I found another (but larger, approx. 8") one with a removable handle (which I prefer to a "wire" handle).

Cheap so can worth a try.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GONE-OUTDOORS...item4d0119ce99
Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Jetboil pan...

...you really need the Jetboil one designed with the heat exchanger ring, else the burner could burn thru a standard camp fry pan or, if you use an old thick iron skillet, it wouldn't heat evenly.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0_1 View Post
Thanks for the replies everybody! Some great ideas there.

I think the best solution for me is going to be the Jetboil and the additional stove.

KG6BWS, I was looking at the MSR line, but with the maintenance required as well as the patience needed to light them, I don't think I would be the ideal owner! Great idea using the panniers as a wind screen. I always use them as seats; I've never considered them for screens! Way better than tin foil!

Unstable Rider, I was thinking along the same line as you; the perfect combination would be others with a stove and me with a Jetboil, but you can never count on others having the equipment you need!

DaviGust, I'm wondering if an integrated ignition would make the unit bigger? I know it wouldn't be much, but when packing for a good trip, every bit of space it important!

Sgt Duster, thanks for the link and the photo. I'm putting my order in this weekend.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Scott
Not sure where you read that, but my whisperlite is no more difficult to light than a gas stove at home. I just carry a lighter rather than use the self igniter. Even in high winds, and at high altitude, Ive never had a problem getting it lit.

Ive actually thought of carrying both as well. Use my whisperlite to cook food, and be making coffee at the same time with my jetboil. Right now I have to decide which one I want first.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,076
How about using a DIY alcohol stove for frying, they are cheap and light and there are many styles with different flame patterns.

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm