ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Middle Finger. Go Fork Yourself...oh wait...ridin' the Middle Fork Rd today

Yup, I bailed on work early today. I know, not the best way to start the new year, but what's a fella to do? It was 43 degrees out at 2PM... The sun was out. I'd just bolted a few new farkles on the 690 Enduro R. I HAD to go out...

As you can clearly see here, the new cross bar on the handle bars makes a huge difference in things. Not to mention the obvious improvement brought on by the Touratech mirror extensions. ;)

The Kreiga US-20 tail bag held up well, though I noticed some movement. Side to side it was plenty secure, but over the washboards and plain ol' potholes it managed to move forward a bit, enabling the straps to rest across the backside of the bag a bit more. Nothing to worry about, but a learning point for me nonetheless. I'll add a rok strap to solve this in a positive fashion. :)

As an experiment I added another gem from Touratech. In the picture, its barely visible as the plain, flat white/gray "object" floating above the handbars. It's a windscreen extension. The unit I used was meant for a BMW F800GS stock screen. My KTM accessory windscreen has a similar vertical angle, so I figured I'd try it out. Mounted easily and was rock solid today up to 80- mph on the highway. Its actually clear - mine still had the peel-n-stick protection on it in case this experiment failed and I needed to return it (Touratech's idea, not mine ;) ). I'm keeping it. :)

Obviously it doesn't fit, contour-wise, the same on the KTM windscreen as it would on the F800GS, but I did notice a big ifference today on the amount of air hitting my chest. Much less with this little fellow added. It clamps onto the top of the winscreen and has a lock to keep it there. ;) Its also easily removeable (if you have the key). It was completely unobtrusive while offroad today, but it was mild offroad to be sure.

Had lots of fun hitting the 405, then I90 to head out towards Snoqualmie. Typically, the 690 was getting's its swerve on during the commuting phase at 60+ mph... I'm sure people must have thought I was loony today.

Took it easy on the secondary roads as I know there are places the sun wouldn't have hit today, but there was nary a slip of a tire the whole trip today.

Really enjoyed hitting the logging roads. The area was frosty in some spots, frostless in others. I pulled over for that pic above in a frosted area. The cuts were obvious an it was quite...enchanting. Only one truck on the road this afternoon, and they were polite. That's always nice. Lots of frozen pot holes to glance off of...

If we could just get a 50 degree, sunny Saturday, I'd be gone all friggin' day!

...but with one of the latest items to arrive today via USPS, I might just be able to ride longer in lower temps. It's a fleece vest that has pockets sewn in for heat packs. I wore the vest today, minus the heat packs. And today, it was my feet and finger tips that were chilly. Might have to spring for the factory heated grips...or some of the other, cheaper options. Heated socks, maybe (?), for the tootsies...
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
81forest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Sweet 690!
Thanks for the pics, always fun to crash through those icy potholes.
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
Sweet 690!
Thanks for the pics, always fun to crash through those icy potholes.
Thanks 81 - I love the thing! Still playing withthe set up and still have yet to even beging friggin' with the suspension settings. Just so much fun to ride everywhere. :)
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 614
Thanks for posting SportsGuy - at least somebody is getting out there!

Looks like the 40's are gone for a month or so...hit me up anytime you want to sneak away during the week for a ride, were practically neighbors.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
Thanks for posting SportsGuy - at least somebody is getting out there!

Looks like the 40's are gone for a month or so...hit me up anytime you want to sneak away during the week for a ride, were practically neighbors.
That sounds like a plan, mode. :)

Fingers crossed that the sun and mid-40's appear next week - I'd even welcome a commute after all this cold...!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
modeselector
Common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post
That sounds like a plan, mode. :)

Fingers crossed that the sun and mid-40's appear next week - I'd even welcome a commute after all this cold...!
Wednesday is looking good!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
Wednesday is looking good!
...and I go to Utah for the night...naturally. Maybe Sunday the stars will align with time and temps and I can squeeze in a cruise. :)
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
modeselector
Common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post
...and I go to Utah for the night...naturally. Maybe Sunday the stars will align with time and temps and I can squeeze in a cruise. :)
Sent PM