Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,071
Fire activity- Victoria

This might end up in the off topic thread but:

For those interested or planning a ride this weekend....

Have a look at the current lightning and fire avctivity in Vic:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar/vic

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-r...nts/index.html

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget678 View Post
This might end up in the off topic thread but:

For those interested or planning a ride this weekend....

Have a look at the current lightning and fire avctivity in Vic:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar/vic

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-r...nts/index.html
Thanks.

Febuary has always been our worst fire season. If the winds get up and link the fires, we have a serious problem.
30 years ago was Ash Wednesday.
4 years ago Black Saturday, then there was Black Friday in 1939.

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
Jelkie
Beginner

Oddometer: 38
Thanks for the links

I will be attending the adventure travel film festival in Bright this weekend. Most of the fires are higher up in the mountains I think, although there is a small fire in Kancoona with a warning that includes Bright. Hopefully it remains a story of staying alert and not get alarmed. Will call the place we're staying at tomorrow for any local news.
Jelkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelkie View Post
I will be attending the adventure travel film festival in Bright this weekend. Most of the fires are higher up in the mountains I think, although there is a small fire in Kancoona with a warning that includes Bright. Hopefully it remains a story of staying alert and not get alarmed. Will call the place we're staying at tomorrow for any local news.
See you there!

Getting in wan't be a problem, getting out maybe interesting.

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelkie View Post
Yep: be alert.
The country needs more lerts.
(Tish, boom...)
Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #6
D_A
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Just a humble request.
If folk do go for a ride and find themselves sharing the trails with any of the various fire service vehicles, take particular care. Most of the drivers are very good, careful and conscientious, but they can also be very bleary eyed from smoke, dust and fatigue. The trucks also have a lot of blind spots. If you can make allowances, give them a wide berth and even find an impromptu different route rather than going through an unexpected fire ground it would probably be much appreciated and safer for all concerned.
Take care guys.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_A View Post
Just a humble request.
If folk do go for a ride and find themselves sharing the trails with any of the various fire service vehicles, take particular care. Most of the drivers are very good, careful and conscientious, but they can also be very bleary eyed from smoke, dust and fatigue. The trucks also have a lot of blind spots. If you can make allowances, give them a wide berth and even find an impromptu different route rather than going through an unexpected fire ground it would probably be much appreciated and safer for all concerned.
Take care guys.
Just an addition to that one: If there are trucks getting around, shit's happening, get out. More often than not, if the area is classified as a 'fireground' the roads will generally be closed to the public anyway.

If you come across fire crews, have a quick chat to one of the them and get their suggestions on the best way to get out/avoid problems. (The guys in the utes are calling the shots and have a briefing about where the fire is, and where it may be going.) They'll also relay information around that there are bikes heading in (whatever) direction so that everyone can watch out for them.

If you continue to ride around in an area with active fire you will become a suspect.

Todays update (amongst many other smaller ones)
BAW BAW

DONNELLY CREEK

ABERFELDY - DONNELLYS

Fri - 15 - Feb
06:25 AM@15/02/13 06:25:00 AM

BUSHFIRE

84100.00 HA.

GOING

OVENS

4 KM NE HARRIETVILLE

HARRIETVILLE - ALPINE NORTH

Thu - 14 - Feb
10:58 PM@14/02/13 10:58:00 PM

BUSHFIRE

18270.00 HA.

GOING

SWIFTS CREEK

HOTHAM HEIGHTS

HARRIETVILLE - ALPINE SOUTH

Thu - 14 - Feb
03:57 PM@14/02/13 03:57:00 PM

BUSHFIRE

12000.00 HA.

GOING

FAR SOUTH WEST

18KM SOUTHEAST NELSON

KENTBRUCK-PORTLAND NELSON RD.

Mon - 11 - Feb
10:19 AM@11/02/13 10:19:00 AM

BUSHFIRE

12055.00 HA.

CONTROLLED

Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,553
Quote:
Just an addition to that one: If there are trucks getting around, shit's happening, get out. More often than not, if the area is classified as a 'fireground' the roads will generally be closed to the public anyway.

If you continue to ride around in an area with active fire you will become a suspect.

+1 - though I'd say that if you're seen in an area with active fire - you're ALREADY a suspect: we've had a string of suspicious fires and at least two inert incendiary devices found in the last few weeks; our community is actively looking out for a particular make, model & coloured ute.
At a recent fire, some bystanders claimed they saw some guys start the fire - and astoundingly, they hung around to watch.
Bystanders contacted one of our crew and passed on the vehicle's rego-number. Police were called, given the details - and failed to question the individuals before telling them to move on.
Fricking unbelievable!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Guys, reduce risks, just stay out of the area altogerther.
Do some research and find areas that are not fire affected or in the line of fire.
At the moment with all the dry lightening fires and finicky winds, fires are all over the place. Check Your relevant web sights.
As for asking fire crews advice, you just become part of a problem.
Use common sense and find another place to ride for the time being.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvan View Post
Guys, reduce risks, just stay out of the area altogerther. Agreed.

Do some research and find areas that are not fire affected or in the line of fire. Why I started this thread...

At the moment with all the dry lightening fires and finicky winds, fires are all over the place. Check Your relevant web sights. Again, why I started this thread.

As for asking fire crews advice, you just become part of a problem.If you ignore the first 2 comments here, and you happen to come across fire crews, you're already a part of the problem. I'm not saying pull them up and have a cuppa; It can be as simple as "Is this road clear for me to get out on?" (And that's what you should be doing: getting out. Go Home.) you might just be waved on, but they will have acknowledged that you're on the road and, as mentioned previously (if required) let others know that there are private vehicles around..... But the first preference is best:- Stay away from any high risk areas.

Use common sense and find another place to ride for the time being. Absolutely agree.
Comments added

Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Agree Gadgets, worthy comments, how ever having taken strike teams aways to both mjor fires sometimes people in these areas do become concern, whats probably worth a mention is don't be encouraged to go take a look.
Had on two occasion of people coming into to areas where preps for back burning was taking place. Time and energy wasted in getting them out of the area.
In general however roads will be blocked to prevent this or open only to special permits.

I'm am trying to plan a ride and this is becoming more difficult. Was going to head toward Davies plain but their has now been fire activity at the Cobberas, may have to look a going East of Buchan to get my ride in.

Info put out has been great like me, I think we are all itching for a ride.

For those interested I did a 4wd drive from Thorton along the Rubicon, can come out either Eildon side or eventually onto Big River rd. intend to do this soon on my GSA.

By the way my comments in the previous post were not intended to create bad feeling.

Today, do I unpack my bike or leave it ready to get better riding weather. See you out there.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
D_A
Beastly Adventurer

I'd suggest that anyone reading this thread should take it that all involved are simply trying to look out for each others safety and trying to be as good natured as possible given the potentially very serious implications.
I'm all for getting out and exploring the fire trails, in fact I plan on doing exactly that once I get my new ride and would be quite happy to see other folk out enjoying the trails (responsibly of course, please don't tear up the trails) but once the trucks are out and the red stuff is running it's best to find somewhere else to play. Being dead can really ruin a good ride.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
Gadget678 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Looks worse now.

I just got home... still a lot of electrical activity about, and a shitload more fires.

Another campaign for us tvan?

With the whole state being lit up, I wouldn't be planning any rides in the hills just yet...

Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #14
D_A
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I just got home... still a lot of electrical activity about, and a shitload more fires.

Another campaign for us tvan?

With the whole state being lit up, I wouldn't be planning any rides in the hills just yet...
Or at least pick areas that have already burnt out and finished their shenanigans. Soot doesn't ignite very readily so it's a safe, if grotty, prospect.

Oh, just one thing ... don't, whatever you do, even look vaguely like looters/souvenir hunters. They tend to get an ... unfriendly reception.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #15
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,722
http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/1...illed/?cs=2452