Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #16
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
I thought I replied to this? must be mistaken.

Anyway, just learnt that there is a major fire, out of control, about 12km south of Numeralla.
It does look bad - and a southerly change is forecast for around midnight ...
Shocking day ...
Hoots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 AM   #17
V Twin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I was reading the last years Riverina Riders write up from Bergdonks link and was interested in doing the section between Benambra and Numerella that they did.

Reading the report it sounds like they went thru private property on the Tom Groggin track to cross the river. Is this okay to use and is it accessible to anybody as I was looking at going that way to Numerella?

Would you get a GS1200 thru there, or is it too steep and knarly?

Cheers

Peter
V Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by V Twin View Post
I was reading the last years Riverina Riders write up from Bergdonks link and was interested in doing the section between Benambra and Numerella that they did.

Reading the report it sounds like they went thru private property on the Tom Groggin track to cross the river. Is this okay to use and is it accessible to anybody as I was looking at going that way to Numerella?

Would you get a GS1200 thru there, or is it too steep and knarly?

Cheers

Peter
G'day Peter. The only problem bit we found was the steep down hill, a couple of kays before the Murray Crossing.
Trite to suggest you'd certainly get any bike down the hill. But it may get very ugly. And expensive. It was a 'here goes nothing' moment for me - but I'm pretty shite for a range of reasons.

I can't say either way, as I don't know what your riding skill is like. If I was confident on the bike I was riding, I'd be inclined to give it a go. That's part of the reason for this type of riding. I don't think I'd do it on my own though.

The road from Benambra was really powdery in places because of log trucks.

The alternative route, down from Davies Plains is similarly steep in places, but it continues for several kilometres. Much much harder IMHO. I think it is a better ride though. Gra' & I did it, with Mr G (who can actually ride), a couple of years ago, north to south.

The river crossing is quite easy, if the river is low. The bottom is largish river stones, pushed flat by the 4wds. The NSW exit is steep and should be slippery mud, rutted up the hill. It's not the water that should cause you problems.

In case you're not familiar, the alternative route through Nariel & Khankoban is a good one. Except the Alpine Way is all 80km/h and radar is said to be active - It's a long weekend, so its a speculator if the Jindabyne (?) HWP would give the Alpine Way any attention past Thredbo, or would they concentrate further east.

opps forgot to fuly answer the question.
We did ride through Tom Groggin Station. It is private land. There is a gate at the sosuthern entrance. It has signs declaring that there is no access. No one stopped us. We rode through very quietly, stayed on the road and didn't kick up much dust. Personally, having got down the hill, I reckon we should've done the crossing, but I was out voted.

Given that there is a road and a crossing, it may very well be that the Tom Groggin Station part is fully private land.

Some people have suggested that, if your ring the station manager and ask permission, they don't have a problem. No, I don't know the number. Nor do I know if that is true.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/

tripodtiger screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 03:04 PM Reason: forgot a bit
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 897
I just did the Murray crossing on my twofiddy a coupla weeks ago, no problem. A bit rocky, a bit rocky on the bottom but if you know what you are doing you shouldn't have too much trouble. Both exits were dry, so no problem there. I wouldn't want to be coming down the Davies Plain Tk on a dual sport bike, it's pretty steep and gnarly. I got almost to the top before I broke my collarbone, but that's another story.:eek:
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,093
How many hippies get to this turnout? Is it all Kombis, tie died T's and crystals? As Cartman says, screw you ,hippy!
Is it catered at the hall, and what sort of music is it, if its Leonard Cohen type stuff, I\ll just stay home and poke a stick in my eye, much more enjoyable
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #21
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,840
Gday One Bob...All kinds of music there ...there's country ..there's western ...hill billy...there's country and western and counntry with hillbilly influences mixed with peace man...rythymn and country and blues and western grey swing..country and recorder shake ya tambourine foot stompin surf wrap with fries...and Leonard Cohen died on stage years ago...get hip man.....boot scootin dance band inside...you could even crack on there OneBob..

Food is good and the right price at the hall..Bergdonks will likeley be behind the bar so no chance of a freebie...but shout Steves wife Sandra a drink and she'll luv ya forever ...oh and take a stack of loose change cause they'll run out of it..

you'll enjoy it...we'll see ya there...
Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
wi11iamson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
......it may get very ugly. And expensive. It was a 'here goes nothing' moment for me - but I'm pretty shite for a range of reasons.

I can't say either way, as I don't know what your riding skill is like. If I was confident on the bike I was riding, I'd be inclined to give it a go. That's part of the reason for this type of riding. I don't think I'd do it on my own though.

Go on, give it a go Pete, you'll have Tracey to help out .................

Motorcycling - the best time I've had with my clothes on.
wi11iamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #23
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

....Do you people get pleasure out of watching an old man shit himself in 3 inches of water.....
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #24
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGra View Post
....Do you people get pleasure out of watching an old man shit himself in 3 inches of water.....
yes
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #25
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Thanks to all for their thoughts, emails, pms and phone calls. We are OK here, but others have suffered some losses, but no injuries as yet other than a few bumps and bruises and maybe an excess of smoke for some out at the front.

The fire is burning in very difficult terrain south and south east of the village. Due south it is about 6 kms away. As the event evolves it will get closer. We are hoping to get some control over it, and there may still be more evacuations. The weather forecast for next Monday is a worry, with talk of it being worse than two days ago, or was it yesterday? Bit of a blur atm.

Personally, because my dicky knee right now, it means I'm a bit of a liability in my usual place on a truck at the front. I've been doing night shift with operations and planning and taking VIPs on tours to the front instead. And I have some 'war' stories to tell too as a result.

Off again shortly.

Right now, the Folk Festival is going ahead as normal, so looking forward to seeing you here and catching up. The last time we had a big one at Festival time was 2003 and it was a great community bonding event, and the support of visitors was terrific.

The fire is known as 'Yarrabin'
http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?CAT_ID=683

Zoom in down Cooma way and you'll find it.

Hopefully everyone else is staying safe out there.

Steve

BergDonk screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 03:24 PM
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #26
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
So you weren't actually having a bath, you were taking a dump! Must've dropped it out the leg of ya trousers whilst we we watching ya hat, ya sneaky bastard.

correction

sneaky old bastard.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #27
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

.........no no no the yarongabilly river crossing yoo simpletons...however there has been another incident..but we dont need to go there...
Old 01-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

So who's going to this shindig...

Me
Mary
Joan
Hans
Peter
BB
Paul
Raylenawayova
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #29
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
So who's going to this shindig...

Me
Mary
Joan
Hans
Peter
BB
Paul
Raylenawayova
Myself possibly.
Hoots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #30
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Quote:
.........no no no the yarongabilly river crossing yoo simpletons...
And what makes you think we are confused about where you're shitting in 3 inches of water.