ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies Ė It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,767
We won't really know about the gas situation until Ryan gets the final route together. Most of our problems over the last couple years have been with the Timberline trail since it goes around the Taylor Trading Post which is the only gas available in the area. A few people over the years with stock tanks have had to separate from the group to get gas and a couple have ran out on the trail. Last year one guy refilled his FI bike with mixed gas and then got to push it out of the woods in the middle of the night in the rain. I helped him push on the uphill parts. Everyone else decided it would be most helpful if they just watched. It was awesome.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #17
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,225
Ahem, I put some time in on Freddie's fender, and pulled some gas out of my tank to try to get that fucker to run! That sure was a 1000 mile stare night! Shawn had lost something, I remember just giving him my bike to back for it, kind of a "good luck, I can't move in a backward direction right now!"
Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
Depends on the route probably. I don't think last year I was ever at risk of running out with my 3.2. Stock tanks needed some mid trail refills though.
What did you get for a new ride?
2012 Gas Gas XC 300 E-Start (called EC in Europe). I still have the beast XR650R. A thread to come, I just shot video of the new bike with pictures.

modette screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 12:13 PM
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Ahem, I put some time in on Freddie's fender, and pulled some gas out of my tank to try to get that fucker to run!
I guess that was before I got there. I was lagging behind a little that night.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
onlead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
2012 Gas Gas XC 300 E-Start (called EC in Europe). I still have the beast XR650R. A thread to come, I just shot video of the new bike with pictures.
Nice Bike! Too bad it won't look like that at the end of the MB500. Probably look like mine:

onlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
brav
Falls-alot

Oddometer: 150
Iíve been looking forward to the next MB500 after I healed from the last one. Lots more training will be going on before I try it again, which won't be hard as last time I signed up couple days before the ride. I hope to make BrekTrek this year. Iíd also be interested in some scouting missions if needed.

My wife offered to pull a sag wagon and help setup camp for this next event if needed, but she will only be available in August time frame.

Iím available mid july (< july 22) and august (aug 10 and after) for the trip. But that's just my 2 cents. But I'd be ok if you'all left without me.

Parts are on the way to refresh the top end in my bike. A new bike is not in the cards this year.

As for gas last year, I made it work with a stock xr400 tank and some msr bottles stashed in the back pack. Got a little heavy at times. I think I will be investing in an oversized tank before the trip. That being said, I also didnít make the entire timberline trail which sounds like when the gas was needed.

New top end, scot stabilizer (for all the damn rocks), P90X (so I can breathe when going over something like Sheep Mountain), practice, and bring more lights then I put on my house this year for Christmas Ö I plan on finishing this yearís MB.

Let me know how I can help this rideÖ
Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Pissed Fuckin Retarded Machine

Two years ago Trevor brought me a basket-case KX500. This is a bike I’ve always wanted to own. I started fixing it up recently. When I tried to start it it kicked back so hard that I limped around for two days. After I healed up I decided to put on my MX boot to kick it. It was hard to start and kept kicking back. I thought I was being a pussy so I kept kicking harder and harder until the aluminum kick lever broke. 98 dollars later and I have a new kick lever. Now I go to start it and a break the steel shaft it connects to

Can’t wait to see how much that costs. I’m starting to think its not a question of me not kicking hard enough. I fucking hate motorcycles.

Sorry for the hijack, I just needed to bitch.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 05:02 PM
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #23
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post

Two years ago Trevor brought me a basket-case KX500. This is a bike Iíve always wanted to own. I started fixing it up recently. When I tried to start it it kicked back so hard that I limped around for two days. After I healed up I decided to put on my MX boot to kick it. It was hard to start and kept kicking back. I thought I was being a pussy so I kept kicking harder and harder until the aluminum kick lever broke. 98 dollars later and I have a new kick lever. Now I go to start it and a break the steel shaft it connects to

Canít wait to see how much that costs. Iím starting to think its not a question of me not kicking hard enough. I fucking hate motorcycles.

Hummm bummer......

If it was orange I bet it wouldnt have happened

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #24
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:

Two years ago Trevor brought me a basket-case KX500. This is a bike Iíve always wanted to own. I started fixing it up recently. When I tried to start it it kicked back so hard that I limped around for two days. After I healed up I decided to put on my MX boot to kick it. It was hard to start and kept kicking back. I thought I was being a pussy so I kept kicking harder and harder until the aluminum kick lever broke. 98 dollars later and I have a new kick lever. Now I go to start it and a break the steel shaft it connects to

Canít wait to see how much that costs. Iím starting to think its not a question of me not kicking hard enough. I fucking hate motorcycles.

Sorry Paul! One of my riding buddies has done that twice on his xr400. once over 12,000 feet on the Calico trail and the bike dumped all of its oil. I was surprised at how much pushing we had to do from that point, seemed like it was all uphill on the way up, sure didn't feel that it was all downhill on the way back down! He is starting to think that whole magic button thing ain't so bad...

And now back to the actual topic, i was thinking about dates for this today. My first choice would be a mid August ride vs mid July..partly to try to be past monsoon season, but more because it looks like i will be taking my boys fishing in Canada late June and then to do this a few weeks later might really stress the schedule...not necessarily unmanageable, or i could just bow out this year, but thought i would throw that out there...
Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #25
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post

And now back to the actual topic, i was thinking about dates for this today. My first choice would be a mid August ride vs mid July..partly to try to be past monsoon season, but more because it looks like i will be taking my boys fishing in Canada late June and then to do this a few weeks later might really stress the schedule...not necessarily unmanageable, or i could just bow out this year, but thought i would throw that out there...

The best part about this is Raul has total control, he might deem that you being a pussy and wanting to hang out with family is worthy of a MB challenge....to see if you really wanna be a man and Monkey Butt this year.
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #26
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
Hummm bummer......

If it was orange I bet it wouldnt have happened
Yea, you never hear about orange bikes having problems running questionable fuel, or overheating, or dropping valves 10 ft after the trailhead. The truth is, the vast majority of bikes have serious quality issues when it comes to the type of riding I like to do.

That DR350 I built has been the best bike I've owned. It's WAY too heavy for a wet, dark Timberline trail, or going south on Pritchett Canyon, and the forks still kind of suck... but that thing has been so reliable.

I've only broken down once when the countershaft sprocket clip popped off, but I was able to repair that with a keychain loop.

... but that bike also fuckin sucks to kick start.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlead View Post
Nice Bike! Too bad it won't look like that at the end of the MB500. Probably look like mine:

That will buff right out
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #28
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylsmkj View Post
The best part about this is Raul has total control, he might deem that you being a pussy and wanting to hang out with family is worthy of a MB challenge....to see if you really wanna be a man and Monkey Butt this year.
Wait... What?

I'm not sure I understand this correctly; are YOU giving Trevor shit for maybe not being able to make it to the MB?

I know you're worried that we'll all slow you down, and you're probably right, but at least show up ONE year before giving someone shit for not making it.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #29
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

or going south on Pritchett Canyon
Did you make it up Pritchett?

I seem to remember you did with that bike with me.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #30
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Pablo83;20450501]Wait... What?

I'm not sure I understand this correctly; are YOU giving Trevor shit for maybe not being able to make it to the MB?
QUOTE]

That was the humor in my little world...sarcasm.

Me saying that to one of the few that have finished every year. MnR knows I'm an idiot.

mylsmkj screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 05:53 PM