ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #76
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff View Post
I wouldn't mind trying to attend this year. I'll try not to wreck my bike the weekend before like this past year.( I did get to install some sweet rad guards because of that incident. Upgraded the light a little as well)
I'm kinda like Bikes, need to play it by ear until we get closer to the dates.
Do you guys have dates for the BreckTrek yet? I definitely want to ride that again!

BGG
Good to hear from you, Scott. Rad guards are highly recommended for the MB. Upgraded headlights are too, unless your bike can't make enough power at idle to run them. Then you end up cussing and punching your light in the middle of the night, in the rain, on Timberline Trail. Good memories...

BreckTrek dates will be announced very soon.
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #77
farnhamstj
kool-aid drinker

Oddometer: 172
Even with upgraded headlights and stator and new battery, you will still find yourself punching the headlight on Timberline in the dark in the rain in the middle of a stream, lying on your side. I believe we learned that HID upgrades do not work on single track. Nor does electric start. Or high beam X2's, or rational thought.

However, these do. If it weren't for a borrowed helmet mount light. We, or as least I, might still be on the trail. Having a secondary light that draws off an entirely different battery is where it's at, so is being able to see something other than where your handlebars are pointed.

As the least experienced rider in the group, I can tell you this ride is really, really hard. If you are not a fast rider, be prepared and willing to bypass some parts. and ride a little faster
Old 02-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #78
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
Even with upgraded headlights and stator and new battery, you will still find yourself punching the headlight on Timberline in the dark in the rain in the middle of a stream, lying on your side. I believe we learned that HID upgrades do not work on single track. Nor does electric start. Or high beam X2's, or rational thought.

However, these do. If it weren't for a borrowed helmet mount light. We, or as least I, might still be on the trail. Having a secondary light that draws off an entirely different battery is where it's at, so is being able to see something other than where your handlebars are pointed.

As the least experienced rider in the group, I can tell you this ride is really, really hard. If you are not a fast rider, be prepared and willing to bypass some parts. and ride a little faster
What are you? ...a spokesman for Ayup? BTW, that link seems to be broken.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #79
farnhamstj
kool-aid drinker

Oddometer: 172
http://www.ayup-lights.com/systems/l.../v4-adventure/

No but my friend that lent me the lights is a sponsored adventure racer for them and I felt the need to spread the love. (and I intend to borrow them again) Great product. Cost is not much more than other headlight upgrades. I'm sure there are other helmet mount lights that work equally well.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #80
BillyGoatGruff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Shoot! I was punching the headlight in the daylight on Timberline. That's where I crushed my radiator the weekend before MB on a pre run. Ended up taking me out of the MB. Bummed!
BGG
Old 02-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #81
BillyGoatGruff
Gnarly Adventurer

Pablo, any chance the BreckTrek might be on a Saturday?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #82
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff View Post
Pablo, any chance the BreckTrek might be on a Saturday?
Slight chance, yes. Why? Does your religion discourage you from using internal combustion engines on the Sabbath?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #83
BillyGoatGruff
Gnarly Adventurer

Nope, just makes it harder to get up for work on Monday. I'm good either way

BGG
Old 02-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #84
brav
Falls-alot

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
Even with upgraded headlights and stator and new battery, ...
I'm in the middle of upgrading my stator, ... can't decide whether to stick with AC for lighting (as my mike currently sits) or convert to DC. Only problem I see with AC is if you motor dies (my countless fall-overs), the light will go out. But staying AC is a much easier installation, not to mention cheaper.

What did people have for MB last year? Stick with AC or go DC?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #85
Raul Duke OP
DROC

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by brav View Post
I'm in the middle of upgrading my stator, ... can't decide whether to stick with AC for lighting (as my mike currently sits) or convert to DC. Only problem I see with AC is if you motor dies (my countless fall-overs), the light will go out. But staying AC is a much easier installation, not to mention cheaper.

What did people have for MB last year? Stick with AC or go DC?
Kept the stock setup on the bike with this on my head...
http://www.trailtech.net/A122-SX-LB.html

I like the idea of having a separate light/power source (which can also be hardwired). I absolutely love the way the light just follows where you are looking. Timberline would have sucked without it... oh, wait, TImberlind did suck even with it, but the light worked great.
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #86
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,233
I have been debating a light set up like Ryan's, or the high power LED accessory lights like Shearboy had..leaning that way since no stator change needed but afraid I will just bust them off. I know the slightly upgraded bulb I have ran the last two years only sucked slightly less over stock setup...
Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #87
brav
Falls-alot

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
I have been debating a light set up like Ryan's, or the high power LED accessory lights like Shearboy had..
Agreed about busting them off, as much as I fall.

I'm doing both:
1. upgrading the stock light cuz it sucks. plastic lens and 35W bulb doesn't cut it. adding windings to my stator is cake and cheap, and I have a glass headlight on order that I can bust on a trail. I can install a 80-100W bulb.
2. putting a headlamp on the helmet like ryan's make sense. something directional with a turn of the head. this is a bit more expensive, but I like DIY projects. makes it a bit cheaper, and when my bike burns up, I can blame only myself. one of shearboys lights on top with an RC battery pack in the camelback. I'm also going to try to charge the camelback battery from the bike stator. I figure $150-$175 for the trial version. Who know how many $$$ to mod it so it works.

doing both gives the added benefit of redundancy.

Now I just need plans to ride at night. Since I can't make the MB500, maybe westfest or MB Moab. Definitely try it this spring at white wash.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #88
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
I can attest to Farnham's set up! Every 10 seconds when my light went out for 10 seconds if he was behind me I could keep moving forward from his light.

That whole no headlight thing on timberline was about the most pissed off I've been I think! Not sure how I'm gonna fix that this year. I did get a nice new battery since that one I had was pretty shot. Maybe that would help some. Maybe I'll try and save up for a helmet kit.
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #89
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
How are you guys planning on making your own helmet mounted light? Is there a good post about it? I would love to do something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brav View Post
Agreed about busting them off, as much as I fall.

I'm doing both:
1. upgrading the stock light cuz it sucks. plastic lens and 35W bulb doesn't cut it. adding windings to my stator is cake and cheap, and I have a glass headlight on order that I can bust on a trail. I can install a 80-100W bulb.
2. putting a headlamp on the helmet like ryan's make sense. something directional with a turn of the head. this is a bit more expensive, but I like DIY projects. makes it a bit cheaper, and when my bike burns up, I can blame only myself. one of shearboys lights on top with an RC battery pack in the camelback. I'm also going to try to charge the camelback battery from the bike stator. I figure $150-$175 for the trial version. Who know how many $$$ to mod it so it works.

doing both gives the added benefit of redundancy.

Now I just need plans to ride at night. Since I can't make the MB500, maybe westfest or MB Moab. Definitely try it this spring at white wash.

Thanks for the advice.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #90
Raul Duke OP
DROC

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
How are you guys planning on making your own helmet mounted light? Is there a good post about it? I would love to do something like that.
I see a Dubinky helmet lights line in your future...
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote