ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
motorcyclejazz OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Pocatello, ID
Oddometer: 209
Tour of Idaho 2013

The map and gpx files for the 2013 version of the Tour of Idaho (T1) are ready to go. The challenge points have been revised this year, so head's up. As always anyone is free to use the information on our website in any way that they choose, and it is all provided free of charge. The only thing that we ask is that the term "Tour of Idaho" be reserved for those who accumulate the requisite number of challenge points.

I'll have some new revisions to T2 ready in the spring. The additional variations will be for those seeking a greater challenge than the current route provides.

This year I will create a dual-sport friendly version of T1 that will be known as T3. As with T2, there will be no challenge points and several variants. Those on larger bikes will enjoy it though.

There is an extensive collection of information on our site about T1 and T2, an exhaustive FAQ, a lively Facebook group and reader forum.
motorcyclejazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ezrdr55's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclejazz View Post
The map and gpx files for the 2013 version of the Tour of Idaho (T1) are ready to go. The challenge points have been revised this year, so head's up. As always anyone is free to use the information on our website in any way that they choose, and it is all provided free of charge. The only thing that we ask is that the term "Tour of Idaho" be reserved for those who accumulate the requisite number of challenge points.

I'll have some new revisions to T2 ready in the spring. The additional variations will be for those seeking a greater challenge than the current route provides.

This year I will create a dual-sport friendly version of T1 that will be known as T3. As with T2, there will be no challenge points and several variants. Those on larger bikes will enjoy it though.

There is an extensive collection of information on our site about T1 and T2, an exhaustive FAQ, a lively Facebook group and reader forum.

That's good timing on the revised T2. I'm planning to do the WABDR in September (2013) and would like to ride T2 on my way out to Washington. Last year I did a solo UTBDR on my Wee-Strom and now I hooked on these backcountry discovery routes.
__________________
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.
'95 H-D FXDWG '06 Honda CRF250X '04 KTM 450EXC '97 Honda XR-600R '04K1200LT(SOLD) '07 K1200GT (SOLD) '09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS '14WR250R
ezrdr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
motorcyclejazz OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Pocatello, ID
Oddometer: 209
T2 Revisions

The additional variants we are planning for T2 are single-track and sand washes. Don't know if there would be much of interest there for large bikes. The route is already good for large bikes, what we are trying to do this year is make it more interesting for folks on street-legal dirt bikes - T1 rigs. You can probably plan you route around the existing tracks unless you are really looking for abuse.

cheers

m
motorcyclejazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
motorcyclejazz OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Pocatello, ID
Oddometer: 209
T3

Here is the page for The Tour of Idaho, T3. T3 is a dual sport friendly version of T1. Basically it's T1 minus the single track. Thirteen hundred + miles. The portion of the route between Utah and Pocatello is the hardest. Longest stretch without gas is 250 miles.

This route is completely appropriate for larger bikes and bikes with camping gear.
motorcyclejazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
gunnr
optimsm
 
gunnr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Camas, not Washougal
Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyclejazz View Post
Here is the page for The Tour of Idaho, T3. T3 is a dual sport friendly version of T1. Basically it's T1 minus the single track. Thirteen hundred + miles. The portion of the route between Utah and Pocatello is the hardest. Longest stretch without gas is 250 miles.

This route is completely appropriate for larger bikes and bikes with camping gear.
I can't seem to download the GPS tracks. I get an XML page. I tried changing the extension to .gpx but only see waypoints. What am I missing?
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
dvwalker
Working to ride
 
dvwalker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Orygun
Oddometer: 736
Thanks Martin for the T3. Looks like you've opened the door to the middle weight DS bikes.

gunnr, file download 101, right click on the gpx link----and click "Save Link As"----and save it to your computer--.

Note Martin uses NG TOPO software, so if you use a Garmin products (MapSource, Basecamp), I suggest downloading the ".tpo" formatted file then convert to gpx using gps visualizer. This method will provide a good version of his raw tracks. I've found that the TOPO software doesn't convert to GPX very well
__________________
.

'14 KTM 1190 Adv, '12 KTM 350EXC, '09 Yamaha WR250R

dvwalker screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 12:13 PM
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
gunnr
optimsm
 
gunnr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Camas, not Washougal
Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Thanks Martin for the T3. Looks like you've opened the door to the middle weight DS bikes.

gunnr, file download 101, right click on the gpx link----and click "Save Link As"----and save it to your computer--.

Note Martin uses NG TOPO software, so if you use a Garmin products (MapSource, Basecamp), I suggest downloading the ".tpo" formatted file then convert to gpx using gps visualizer. This method will provide a good version of his raw tracks. I've found that the TOPO software doesn't convert to GPX very well
Thanks for the 101 basics! For some reason IE didn't want to play nice and would only save as a .xml. Firefox saw the .gpx file. After I posted I saw that they were using topo........my bad.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Bartron
Bike Punisher
 
Bartron's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: mid-west-northern Canadia
Oddometer: 693
Hi Martin and company,

I've done a combination of T2 in the past and it was awesome. In a couple weeks I'm considering doing T3 with a buddy on our 990s. Can anyone advise if the route is open? are there areas that need to be circumnavigated?

I realize the T1 has not been reported as open on the MotoJazz website but I'm curious if anyone's attempted T3 yet.
__________________
Ride on.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
pizzaforbreakfast
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron View Post
Hi Martin and company,

I've done a combination of T2 in the past and it was awesome. In a couple weeks I'm considering doing T3 with a buddy on our 990s. Can anyone advise if the route is open? are there areas that need to be circumnavigated?

I realize the T1 has not been reported as open on the MotoJazz website but I'm curious if anyone's attempted T3 yet.
I rode the T1 this past week and there are no highwater/snow/deadfall issues. There are fires but I don't know their current status. The Mill Creek fire west of Challis was a problem (easy re-route though north of Challis). Additionally there was a fire burning one ridge south of the Magruder when I crossed it. You could see the flames on the top of the ridge. There was a fire crew posted on the road ready to close it. This could be a problem as I understand the re-route is loooong.
pizzaforbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
todd83-900t
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: SLC, UT
Oddometer: 163
More details please.

More details on your T1 ride pretty please. Were there any sections that were exceptionally difficult? What sections would you considered "Must See" Were the waypoints in the right places? Any road closures to know about? I've been staring at googleearth for days, re-plotting/studying the route, saying "I sure hope there's a trail down there, 'cause all I see is jungle." There are large sections that I can't see any evidence of a trail from the 2K ft view. Maybe the trail is there and the trees are covering it up??
Any feedback would be appreciated!
__________________
05, KTM EXC 450,
2003, KLX-400
todd83-900t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014