Local coverage
http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-337...usco-province/
Old 01-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
I'm afraid we will never get to hear the rest of this. I'm amazed of this attack, I can't believe they would attack them without reason. Reminds me of the biker in Ecuador or Peru awhile back that was killed when he was camping in a remote area nearer Brazil, never did hear the whole story on that either. Oh to be a fly on the wall...
I thought it was a Canadian in his twenties in eastern Ecuador. Evidence seemed to point to a money related crime. I think his credits cards were used.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #18
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,570
^^Thanks for the info Dan. I never did hear or remember much about it, this attack seems very strange if nothing was done to provoke it. Random act of group violence I think not but it will probably only ever be known by those present.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 737
i think the bottom line is that bad shit happens to good people all the time, all over the world. the only thing one can do is TRY to avoid stupid situations where trouble is more likely to find you. single guy camping alone with fancy bike in a foreign country? yeah, yeah, "millions" have done it and continue to do it and the vast majority do it without an issue. doesn't make it a wise choice. unfortunately, he paid with his life.

these 3 have a different story and i ain't quite buyin that they were just innocently hangin out drinkin beers and were randomly attacked in the way they were.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
I'm not sure I buy any of that. Is there any way to verify any of that story? The whole thing just sounds totally unreal. If this is exactly what happened, I am ready to invade Peru. Somehow though, I just have some doubts. A lot of doubts.
cliffy109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
Charrito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I agree...there seems to be A LOT missing from this story, and A LOT that sounds made up.
Charrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #22
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
these 3 have a different story and i ain't quite buyin that they were just innocently hangin out drinkin beers and were randomly attacked in the way they were.
I agree. There had to be something else, however seemingly insignificant to ignite a good old fashion lynch mob, (which is not uncommon among the indigenous in Latin America)

I was very far off the gringo trail in Peru, and while I had no issues, there were certain villages I went through where the indigenous inhabitants made it well known that I was not welcome, at all.

I believe it happened, but there is more to the story. We will probably never know.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #23
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Has anybody even looked to see if the people are real and in Peru? The story is so outrageous that I would start at the very beginning.

I stand ready to believe...
cliffy109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #24
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
If you doubt they were there at all, you could have a look at their blog--link is in the OP.

Most likely in my (humble) opinion: the event did happen, although the description is somewhat exaggerated. The root cause was some combination of pre-existing anger at outsiders combined with unknown offense given by these particular travelers.

There's a lot of anger, probably justified, among local people in Latin America and elsewhere. In fact, it wasn't so long ago that community lynchings were common in the USA--against Blacks, Asians, itinerant laborers, and others. It's a good idea to stay aware of such possibilities no matter where you go in the world.

For example, I rode through a number of local roadblocks in Central and South America, permitted to pass after bits of schmoozing or because I was clearly not involved in whatever conflict was taking place. But I ran into one in Panama at which I decided the potential for violence was too great, with myself the likely target; I wished everyone well and backed out of the situation. For the next several days I saw TV reports of that location--the situation had rapidly deteriorated into shootings and beatings which lasted intermittently for about a week. There were quite a few deaths and many injuries. I had no doubt that if I'd stayed, argued, or acted uncooperative I'd have been assaulted myself.

This seems to me a very different issue from the sort of random theft or assault described in Ecuador.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
...there were certain villages I went through where the indigenous inhabitants made it well known that I was not welcome, at all.
The Stare....:)

No emtoion shown - just the stark stare. And it doesn't end. The Stare...

And they know how to do it very well.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #26
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Indians (asia) do the stare even better.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #27
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Man View Post
Indians (asia) do the stare even better.
For whatever reason, I was thinking about this today.
What good and/or evil do the 'outsiders' bring? I think can understand this.
Take a look at the Mayas, as one example. The Spanish didn't even bring Vaseline with them.

Doing your thing just fine for who knows how long...and then some bubbas show up...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #28
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
The Stare....:)

No emtoion shown - just the stark stare. And it doesn't end. The Stare...

And they know how to do it very well.

So true. Its an ice that is difficult or sometimes impossible to break, but on occasion it can be done by a single foreign dirt bag moto rider. Whether you want to take the time to do it can be the conundrum.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #29
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
I agree. There had to be something else, however seemingly insignificant to ignite a good old fashion lynch mob, (which is not uncommon among the indigenous in Latin America)
Yes, it all it takes sometimes is someone starting a rumor that can spread like wildfire in a village.
Lynch deals happen here more than a few times per year and it usually centers around theft or some other crime where someone is suspected, wrong info is given out and the mob reacts. Sometimes the info is legit and the lynch mob is justified because the locals know they can't rely on the police for diddlye squat. There have been two recent incidents here in Veracruz near the Puebla border, both cases the info was correct and when the authorities arrived they were also held hostage by the mobs.

I was really curious as to what set things off, it likely was nothing more than someone wanting a hand out, not getting it, and deciding they would take what they wanted. Be interesting to see how far the suits in Peru will pursue this.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #30
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Yes, it all it takes sometimes is someone starting a rumor that can spread like wildfire in a village.
Lynch deals happen here more than a few times per year and it usually centers around theft or some other crime where someone is suspected, wrong info is given out and the mob reacts. Sometimes the info is legit and the lynch mob is justified because the locals know they can't rely on the police for diddlye squat. There have been two recent incidents here in Veracruz near the Puebla border, both cases the info was correct and when the authorities arrived they were also held hostage by the mobs.

I was really curious as to what set things off, it likely was nothing more than someone wanting a hand out, not getting it, and deciding they would take what they wanted. Be interesting to see how far the suits in Peru will pursue this.

I remember some locals telling me about an incident that happened near El Remate, GT some years ago. A small child was in the street alone and crying. A female Japanese tourist was trying comfort the child and find the mother. All of a sudden it is suspected that she is there trying to kidnap the child and take it back to Japan. Lynch mob forms, beats Japanese woman to death. Its all over in just a few minutes. Lynch mob realizes the mistake, everyone is sorry, but a woman guilty of nothing is dead. Just another day of justice in Guatemala.

On another note, I read about this incident in the local paper. It was written in a very matter of fact, "this shit happens all the time tone."

Chicken bus going from Xela to Guate. Around San Cristobal just outside of the city, some gang bangers get on the bus, rob everyone at gunpoint. As the last gang banger is getting off the bus, some passenger pulls him back inside. Passengers beat gang banger, and just for good measure, they toss him outside, douse him in gasoline and light him on fire. I cant say that I would be the least bit sad to witness that one.

crashmaster screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 09:33 AM