ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
Or just:
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg imagemagic kdenlive

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
For the non debian based distros...

sudo yast -i ffmpeg imagemagic kdenlive
or sudo yum install ffmpeg imagemagic kdenlive
or up2date...
or....
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
or....
emerge -v ffmpeg imagemagic kdenlive

but a couple years ago I finally converted to being an apt-get guy.

RPMs should go the way of the dodo.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
emerge -v ffmpeg imagemagic kdenlive

but a couple years ago I finally converted to being an apt-get guy.

RPMs should go the way of the dodo.
Yeah, I've never been a fan of RPMs. I think I used emerge on Gentoo in college, but I may be wrong. Last I remember there's a new package manager for Gentoo....I can't keep up with them all.
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,817
I do my video editing with Adobe Premiere Creative Suite 6.

Made this video this morning with it in fact

Titled: How to be a bully in World of Tanks

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #21
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Made this video this morning with it in fact

Titled: How to be a bully in World of Tanks
You just lived up to your username.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #22
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
You just lived up to your username.
No shit
A Few Past Bikes
: 2003 Suzuki DRZ400E | 2012 BMW K13S | 2009 KTM 990 Adventure
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #23
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,857
Software is going to depend on how much time you want to spend on the editing process, what kind of computer you have and what kind of features you want to use in your movie. The Mac stuff is good, Final Cut Pro is very highly regarded. On the PC end, Windows Movie Maker is usally where everyone starts off, you'll learn the basics and quickly realize it's a bit limited. It does a decent job though and works very well with 960P. Adobe CS6 (creative suite) is a nice group of programs but it's def at the high end pricewise and capability, at $2599 it's out of most folks range. The Adobe Premier Elements can be bought for around $65 and is a decent alternative. There's allot of programs in the $65~$100 range, so many that it comes down to preferences, interface and capabilities. Some programs are going to require that you convert the footage prior to editing, that's a real PITA esp since you'll be renedering at the end. Creative Cow is a website where there's allot of information about editing, programs and capabilities, it's a good resource. I prefer Sony Vegas Pro, it works pretty well but isn't cheap at $400. It's got a pretty good stabilization capability and is very fast, both of which are important to me.

Using the remote is going to complicate the shooting process. (2 extra devices to charge and monitor for battery life and no recharge capability while on the trail) I prefer to carry extra (2) batterys and SD cards (16G) and film everything, that way you don't miss anything and can just swap batterys and cards when needed, With the Wifi, once it's discharged, you are SOL. 960 is good for computer viewing and where you want a taller picture. 1080P is good for scenery, on the Hero II I prefer 720/60FPS. god pic, sharp slomo and nice for TV wiewing. 60FPS is preferred for it's picture quality (sharper) and better slomo. 16G cards lasts about 1 battery in length (2 hrs). Paring them works well on the trail, swap both at the same time and you'll miss very little and get max use out of both the battery and memory.

Good luck, we'll be looking forward to seeing your movies.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #24
Olas OP
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,948
Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I'm going to try out windows movie maker since it's free and then go from there..

The wifi backpack is basically only used to adjust the camera angle to see what I'm looking at through the camera. After the initial set up, it is turned off and pretty much not used for the remainder of the ride unless I move the camera. It does somewhat complicate the process a tiny bit but not by much... I also use it for initial set up through my phone because it is much easier than using the two buttons the go pro has.

So far I have ~30 gigs of footage, and need to get started on something. Otherwise I feel it's just going to pile up and sit there.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #25
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I'm going to try out windows movie maker since it's free and then go from there..

The wifi backpack is basically only used to adjust the camera angle to see what I'm looking at through the camera. After the initial set up, it is turned off and pretty much not used for the remainder of the ride unless I move the camera. It does somewhat complicate the process a tiny bit but not by much... I also use it for initial set up through my phone because it is much easier than using the two buttons the go pro has.

So far I have ~30 gigs of footage, and need to get started on something. Otherwise I feel it's just going to pile up and sit there.
Here's a trick I use to aim the cam, no wifi required but you will need a buddy check.

I drew a horiz line on the outside of the GP case that matches the camera's lens angle. When I'm ready to ride, helmet on I sit on the bike and position my head as if I'm reading the trail, on singletrack or rocky terrain this will be a little ways out from the wheel say 20', on dirt roads that probably jumps to about 40'. Then I have my buddy look at the cam from the side paying attention to the line I've drawn on the case. It should point at the trail about 60' out. The key to this method is to have the correct helmet position according to the terrain. Once you do it this way a couple times it's so easy, takes me about 20 seconds to get the cam right and I can't remember when the last time I've had a mis aimed video. Just remember, where you are looking with your eyes isn't going to be the best camera angle, it will be a little higher up.

Taking into account the differences in the rider's view depending on terrain is very important no matter which way you choose to aim, smart phone or manually. Many YT videos are shot at too low of an angle and I suspect it's because the rider was looking out too far when it was initially aimed. Keep that in mind and you'll get some nice shots.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #26
Olas OP
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,948
Thanks, that's a method that I will keep in mind... I may be one of the few, but I really like the wifi backpack. Especially if I'm riding alone since I can see what's going on with the camera without taking the helmet off, etc... The other thing I've done is to adjust the camera at home, and leave it that way until we get to the trail then just snap it into the mount.

These are the two mount locations I've used so far. I also bought a handlebar mount but I haven't figured out where it could work good. My friend was using a roll bar mount on his fork leg last ride and he broke it off pretty quickly.

I think I like the side helmet mount better. It gets more of the bike in the picture and also takes less hits from tree branches, etc... The only times you see the bike when I have the top helmet mount on is through rough terrain and when I wheelie.

I think a chest mount would work pretty good too, anyone have some shots from a chest mount they can show off?
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #27
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,983
I've looked at chest-mount movies and am unimpressed. Having the camera on your helmet allows you to steady the shot somewhat with your neck acting as a gimbal mount. Chest-mount is too bouncy. They are interesting for showing a different view, but tiresome for long movies/clips.

Same for bike-mounted cameras, although I did see one short movie where the camera showed the shock and swing arm - too cool. But only in moderation.

Looking backwards is a nice change, also, watching your buddies trying to keep up

Update:
KTM FREERIDE PUT THROUGH ITS PACES FILMED WITH GOPRO CHEST MOUNT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWXuS9pWZTg

Same rider, helmet mount:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbCc7jMkUxM
Aimed a bit low for my taste.

ramz screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 09:41 AM
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #28
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,663
I prefer the front of the chin piece, it gives the same perspective as the chest mount without the bumpyness. I'm not a fan of the top or side helmet mounts, it doesn't give as a good sense of what the bike is doing imho.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #29
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,607
The chest mount was too low positioned. I received one for Christmas and have yet to use it. I will make sure that it is positioned up higher on the chest. I also like the side view helmet mount better.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #30
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
I prefer the front of the chin piece
Oooh. That would make it extra entertaining when you do the occasional head-handlebar smack.. (or is that just me?)

The constant soundtrack of heavy breathing might be a bit creepy though. (just me again?)