Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #16
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/W View Post
I'll agree, 75 is the fastest I feel comfortable cruising at. I'm generally between 70-75 (gps, ends up being 80 indicated) on freeways.

My last long freeway trip (not even that long) was a six hour ride up I5 from LA to San Francisco. It was miserable (mostly due to the cold, but the bike didn't help). Keep in mind, I have the stock seat and no wind protection. A new seat & windscreen would help things quite a bit. The bike just doesn't sound that great at 80+ mph speeds. I don't think 75mph+ speeds are that healthy for the bike either (with stock gearing)...I had a seeping valve cover gasket by the time I got home.

For extended high speed freeway riding, in no way would I recommend a DR650. Perhaps with a decent windscreen & seat it would be ok, but it simply isn't built to go that fast comfortably. It's not fun riding 70+mph and having cars pass you going 10+ mph faster. The bike has little if any passing power at those speeds. Heck, even riding the hour to OHV parks (Carnegie or Metcalf) is a bit sucky because of the freeway.

Offroad/gravel or anything slower than freeway speeds I'd pick the DR650.
Are you talking about a DR650? If you take the time to set up your DR650 I think you'd be surprised how good it is at Freeway speeds. But remember ... speed limits in Canada are ridiculously LOW ... can't equate US cruising speeds to Canada. They drive like 50 mph everywhere there.

Freeway speeds going out 580 to Carnegie are like 75 to 80 mph, right? Any slower and you'll be road kill. Most Canadians have never even ridden that fast ... because there's a cop at every corner. Never seen so much enforcement. (I've ridden across Canada TWICE)

A good seat is a MUST on the DR650 ... pretty much the same on the KLR.
I don't like wind shields but many run them on DR's. Lots of DR riders don't have their drive lines in order; have worn chains or sprockets, mis-aligned, snail adjusters and worn rubber cush drive bumpers. A Fresh chain and sprockets along with new Cush rubbers can make a world of difference with smoothness on the DR. Mine is totally content (stock gearing) at 75 mph indicated (70 mph actual) and I've cruised much faster out on Highway 5 were average speeds are 80 mph. I also rode up from the South ... from Mexico. From San Diego to San Fran ... 80 mph the whole way. Gotta love a Corbin seat. Mine's at 50K miles and loves to cruise fast. It's been through 118F heat in Death Valley too ... happy as a clam with full synthetic oil. No oil use, full compression. Valves stay in spec. All good.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #17
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Can you link to any reports of DR650 "frame damage" ?

Bikerooter cracked a DR frame on this ride. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379786 ,page 4 was the first crack.

And page 5 was the next crack.

The bikes were loaded up with fuel and water and it was on a very hard ride though, it does happen, but it isn't a common occurrence...

I am only mentioning it because I was reading the ride report again today...
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #18
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,043
Not too many HWYs I've ridden in Canada where the speed limit is 50, a 2 lane narrow maybe, but most of those are 90 {55}... A 2 lane wide is usually 100 {60} and a four lane + will go 110 {70} or more...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #19
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Bikerooter cracked a DR frame on this ride. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379786 ,page 4 was the first crack.

And page 5 was the next crack.
The bikes were loaded up with fuel and water and it was on a very hard ride though, it does happen, but it isn't a common occurrence...

I am only mentioning it because I was reading the ride report again today...
Epic ride report! I've never read that one, will check it out!

Have you heard or seen of any other broken DR frames since then? That report was from 2008 ... and I now remember you posting those pics before. Jeez, those kids are probably all grown up by now!
How's your DR going Rev?
PS: both those pics are the SAME bike.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 12:44 AM
Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #20
boatmole
Druken Wildebeest

Oddometer: 84
KLR's and my two cents.

We are not newbe's, having owned 22 quality bikes since 1994, 2 R1200GSA and 4 KLR650. Of the KLR 2001, 2008, 2009, 2012, loved them all, all stock, all 20,000 before being sold, all mint condition, all toured loaded, and dual sport ridden, 01 and 09 even sported a sidecar for 10,000 miles each. We have kept up with KTM 990 on large Adventure dual sport rides no problem, could they have pressed harder and left us behind - Yes, would some have gotten hurt yes, why? Sometime to much power in back country is worthless. We sold our 2001 this summer and it l left for Prudhoe Bay Alaska the next week in the same trim we toured in, great bike.

We fell in love with the 08+ bikes because of smoother operation, better faring, brakes, suspension etc. Although I never felt the need to do any modifications in 60,000 KLR miles, I am considering the Progressive 465 rear shock and Mono shock fork gas inserts to see what they will do, so far our new 2012 KLR is handling perfectly, no previous model steering wobble with HT PD bars, engine guard and skid plate, and Moose racing Pelican pannier set. Ok seats sort of suck, put Sargent seat on previous bike good but fragile material and Meyers on the 2012 so far so good.

In 60,000 miles, we never broke down - ever, of course we had some hardware come loose, not fall off, we believe in preventive maintenance. If you want a faster bike, buy one, If you want a reliable one leave it alone, maintain it and ride it. The KLR will take you anywhere any other dual sport bike will, unlike the bikes leaning more toward dirt, the KLR will do well on dual sport rides and exceptionally well on the road with the right seat.

We often though about buying more dirt bike dual sports DR650, XR650L, KTM, but none of them for us was comfortable on the road, we live near Oakland, CA. (city) all the great riding for us is hours away, we need road comfort, we can always compensate for the dirt section. Our last dual sport ride 2 hours to the ride, 6 hour dual sport ride and 2 hours home 10 hours total, comfort is mandatory for us, no worried, the KLR in capable hands can hold it's own in the dirt, and no it isn't a dirt bike. These guys ride hard, when you look up at the speed limit sign and it reads 35 and your speedo reads 75 it's hammer time. Always ride withing you skill level, ride within the limits of the bike design and wear waterproof shorts .

boatmole screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 12:40 AM
boatmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #21
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Not too many HWYs I've ridden in Canada where the speed limit is 50, a 2 lane narrow maybe, but most of those are 90 {55}... A 2 lane wide is usually 100 {60} and a four lane + will go 110 {70} or more...
I can't quote limits but I found that the ratio of RCMP to traffic was seriously out of balance. NO CARS ... but cops everywhere. NO crime, no guns ... but lots of enforcement. I've never been pulled over so often.
Empty roads that were engineered for 65 to 70 mph ... speed limit? 55 mph.
Our limit may say 55 mph ... but that speed is never enforced. You can always go 10 mph over posted limit. Not so in Canada, empty road or not, one tic over limit? Ticket.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #22
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,479
Quote:
Epic ride report! I've never read that one, will check it out!

Have you heard or seen of any other broken DR frames since then? That report was from 2008 ... and I now remember you posting those pics before. Jeez, those kids are probably all grown up by now!
How's your DR going Rev?
PS: both those pics are the SAME bike.
As I said, a snapped/cracked DR frame is not a common thing, so no, that is the only one I am aware of and the second crack on that frame probably had a lot to do with the previous weld repair. .

There is the bent swingarm of the late Tugboat Bills bike, but that was from the impact of another DR...
Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
swingarm and frame were bent and bills hand puffed up from injury
we adjusted the snail cams and slewed axle around till it stopped rubbing on the swingarm
hoped to limp to wiluna but within a few minutes bill was back up to speed
he reckoned it turned real good one way but not so good the other

It still finished the ride, and I believe that they replaced to swingarm and used it on a few more rides.

No DR for me anymore, I'm chasing a few goals I had since I was a kid so I'll be concentrating on that for the next 18 months...
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #23
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
I can't quote limits but I found that the ratio of RCMP to traffic was seriously out of balance. NO CARS ... but cops everywhere. NO crime, no guns ... but lots of enforcement. I've never been pulled over so often.
Empty roads that were engineered for 65 to 70 mph ... speed limit? 55 mph.
Our limit may say 55 mph ... but that speed is never enforced. You can always go 10 mph over posted limit. Not so in Canada, empty road or not, one tic over limit? Ticket.
On average, most of the police radar devices are triggered if you are going 10 KMPH {6mph} over the speed limit {10%}, this allows for speedo error and such, otherwise they would be stopping every second car... In other words, your usually under the radar if you travel at 5 MPH (8-9KMH} over posted....

Empty roads are nice roads and 100 KMH is a good travel speed for a thumper, easy both on the motor and fuel... Then again it sounds like the OP has traveled those roads to his riding area many times so I can see a bit of the need for some more speed to get to the riding destination start point...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #24
amk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
But remember ... speed limits in Canada are ridiculously LOW ... can't equate US cruising speeds to Canada. They drive like 50 mph everywhere there.
Most Canadians have never even ridden that fast ... because there's a cop at every corner. Never seen so much enforcement. (I've ridden across Canada TWICE)
Reading your statements about Canada's speed limits raises questions...
I live here, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the posted speed limit is 110 km/h, so that is true, if you go faster than true 120 km/h there is a good chance you get a hefty ticket, if you go 119, again true, right under the cop's nose your are fine.
There is a place in Alberta, Banf National Park that is, with the posted speed limit 90, but it is national park.
Every where else posted limit is 110/100 km/h, and remember you have a 10 km/h margin above the posted limit before you get nailed. Atlantic and Eastern Canada is different. For cops, you have to consult locals for their hidings, they are very much consistent to that.

Now to the frame cracks. Yes, I saw the same report across global south or something. I am not bothered at all with the DR frame failures, that global rider had self inflicted it, what did he pack, a kitchen sink?
What bothers me, is the rear hub. Changing bearing every 10 000 km does not look very much attractive. Now, somebody has this problem, somebody has not, that scares too. What is the cause, how to solve the problem once and for good, all these questions remain unset because of inconsistency.

Something totally another, various authors often say something like "I have 80 000 miles under my belt", then it is found those 80 000 are done on 4 bikes. So 20 000 per a bike, does that look impressive? Both, KLR and DR are on the marked for ages relatively unchanged. If one has done 20 000, why does he sell so incredibly reliable, good farkled machine, and change it for the same one, and starts the process all over. I understand there might be a crash or a theft, but four times on the row?

Anyway, personal experience says KLR does not look good at all reliability wise, but probably I did ride a lemon. And of course I am spoiled by my Wee, 90 000 km, for them it had exactly 1 problem not related to a crash.

So what is about speed on 2008+ KLR685, why the bike becomes speedier? The gear spread is unchanged, 3 new ponies wont provide for the gain, it is said that vibrations go down, the bike become smooth. So that is only riders' perception the bike becomes faster, while its merely does not shake so bad. Is that correct?

amk screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 09:23 AM
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
If you read your own posts, you will see you have already decided. It's the DR all the way.

I'm not being critical in any way, it's just I don't think you realize that you've already made up your mind.

Anyway, even though I am a KLR owner, I would say the DR is a better bike overall. To answer your question about the 685 kit. There is no real power benefit, the biggest benefit is the lighter piston smooths out the engine characteristics. The power to weight ratio is much better on the DR than the KLR because they both make about the same horsepower, but the KLR weighs much more than the DR and that directly translates to driveability/roadability. 50 lbs of weight is huge on a single cylinder dual sport and that's what you're honestly looking at.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
amk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
If you read your own posts, you will see you have already decided. It's the DR all the way.
Wrong. I am a donkey from that prehistoric Greek paroemia, he died from starvation standing in front of two equal hay piles. Indecisive he was, what to bite first?
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #27
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Both bikes have issues. Most are easily addressed.

The only advantage I see a KLR having over a well-farkled DR is a bit of spaciousness. If a DR can be made to fit you comfortably, this becomes a non-issue. If it can't, the KLR would offer more comfort.

The DR tends to be smoother. It doesn't overheat, ever, unless something besides the cooling system has a serious issue. It's lighter, yet is pretty darn stable at any speed it can muster. The valves can be adjusted on the side of the road/trail, without having to carry shims. It tends to take falls better. The brakes are ok, but can be MUCH better with simple mods. The DR responds very well to upgrades in suspension, brakes, tires, seat, and power.

I bought my DR with 9K miles on it last year. It now has 23K miles on it. Some of that is an 1100-mile ride home from my mom's, that I did one day last winter. Some of that is a ride up to Calhoun GA to ride trails one weekend, then the ride home to Melbourne FL in torrential rains. My GF and I have toured all over central and east-coast FL on the DR, with luggage. The bike eats miles, loaded like a packmule, yet can still be ridden like an overweight dirtbike in the sand.

Mine is jetted, with an opened airbox and a stock boat-anchor of a muffler. The rest of the motor is stock. It still wheelies in 2nd, and will run 80MPH (GPS) 2up. More power would be fun, and easy to come by, but it's not really needed. The bike has enough to get me arrested, as is.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #28
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
No DR for me anymore, I'm chasing a few goals I had since I was a kid so I'll be concentrating on that for the next 18 months...
Good for you ... life changing priorities too often are forgotten and left behind. Best of luck with new direction!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
On average, most of the police radar devices are triggered if you are going 10 KMPH {6mph} over the speed limit {10%}, this allows for speedo error and such, otherwise they would be stopping every second car... In other words, your usually under the radar if you travel at 5 MPH (8-9KMH} over posted....

Empty roads are nice roads and 100 KMH is a good travel speed for a thumper, easy both on the motor and fuel... Then again it sounds like the OP has traveled those roads to his riding area many times so I can see a bit of the need for some more speed to get to the riding destination start point...
Well you guys know far more about Canadian rules and procedures than I do. Last big trip up there I was on my Vstrom 1000, which likes to cruise at 90 mph. Coming from Montana into Canada was a bit of a shock regards enforcement! In Mexico I cruise very slow ... for the exact reasons you state ... and safety too. Good advice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
Now to the frame cracks. Yes, I saw the same report across global south or something. I am not bothered at all with the DR frame failures, that global rider had self inflicted it, what did he pack, a kitchen sink?
Yep, that and a complete parts and tool shed! Jay is famous for his Chicken Curry ... he carries all the ingredients to make it.
Quote:
What bothers me, is the rear hub. Changing bearing every 10 000 km does not look very much attractive. Now, somebody has this problem, somebody has not, that scares too. What is the cause, how to solve the problem once and for good, all these questions remain unset because of inconsistency.
Relax about the hubb bearings. Very few reported here in the USA. Once again, it's Oz riders who have the bulk of the failures because they are using their DR's hard ... and as FULL ON Dirt bikes, doing jumps and very rough tracks at very high speeds. The DR is NOT made to handle that.
Quote:
Something totally another, various authors often say something like "I have 80 000 miles under my belt", then it is found those 80 000 are done on 4 bikes. So 20 000 per a bike, does that look impressive? Both, KLR and DR are on the marked for ages relatively unchanged.
I have some local data regards DR650's, but you can find similar data for the KLR's too. As I've said ... BOTH are great bikes, both are low cost to operate and can do just about anything. Both need a fair bit of upgrades to be their best.

Regards my experience with the DR650, I'm on my 3rd DR650. Two were magazine test bikes. One made it to 35K before NSU fell out and took out gear box. 2nd one was crashed (not by me) rebuilt and sold off. My current one bought with my own money with just 700 miles on the clock.
Now at 50,000 miles (70K kms). I've been riding with a crazy group of riders here in California for the last 12 years. Back then there were 2 or 3 guys riding DR650's in the group. (about 60 riders total, most have 2 or 3 bike stables)

Over the years other members were impressed with how versatile and tough the DR650's were. We now have 7 DR650's in our core riding group and one or two KLR's.
We've had these 6 or 7 DR's for about 5 years now. Guys don't take their DR on every ride, but on at least half of the 15 rides we do a year.

NOT one failed Hubb bearing, or 3rd gear or cracked frames among this small sample group. Most of these bikes have been ridden from San Francisco to Mexico, to Death Valley and all over California, Oregon and Idaho. On the longer rides on empty, open roads we keep an 85 mph cruising pace. The DR's handle it fine.

DR650 party ... about 5 on this ride through Central Cal.

Quote:
Anyway, personal experience says KLR does not look good at all reliability wise, but probably I did ride a lemon. And of course I am spoiled by my Wee, 90 000 km, for them it had exactly 1 problem not related to a crash.
I disagree. A well set up KLR done by someone who actually KNOWS what they are doing will ensure the KLR will go big miles, trouble free. The DR, IMO, is a bit more trouble free and can survive on neglect better than the KLR ... but ALL bikes need TLC.

Quote:
So what is about speed on 2008+ KLR685, why the bike becomes speedier? The gear spread is unchanged, 3 new ponies wont provide for the gain, it is said that vibrations go down, the bike become smooth. So that is only riders' perception the bike becomes faster, while its merely does not shake so bad. Is that correct?
Far as I understand the best reason for over boring the KLR is to eliminate
oil use. Stock cylinders tend to be out of round and use oil. A new barrel should eliminate most of that oil use.

Good luck ... let us know how your bike goes when you get her set up!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Pretty clear the OP is set on either a KLR or DR650.
On the X Challenge ... have you followed Colebatch's reports for long?
I have, going back to when he rode S. America years ago. Also followed his extensive build, re-build ... and re-build again on his X Chal. Tons of stuff wore out or failed on his bike, hence more re-builds.
He's truly wedded to his X Chal. No idea how he pays for all this.

Do you have any idea of all the serious ... and expensive modifications he's done on that bike? Both those X Chal's are total custom jobs. Nothing is stock ... and they still breakdown. (read Colebatch's Morocco report)

A conservative estimate would be $15,000 USD into Colebatch's bike if you count re-builds ... plus the cost of the machine initially.

X series BMW's carry forward many of the old problems from the F650 line.
The closer you look, more you will see.
And what are these problems you speak of? From what the OP says are his riding conditions I thought he should take a look at the X bikes. They are a steal at the used prices they are going for. If you rode your DR like Colebatch you would be relacing items on any bike, I mean after ten thousand miles on some of the roughest roads in the world at the end of the trip he seems to always have an appointment where he ends up riding a few more thousand miles on dirt roads straight thru to make the appointment. Whats he have on that Xchallenge like 130,000 miles of offroad. I have read all his reports. The Dr and KLR are great bikes but a used X is a great value also. Look at the new Xterra it is an X with a hopped up engine, and cheaper to produce components while being heavier because they used a lot more steel in said components. In a couple of years when they start hitting the used market they will make an excellent starting platform also.
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
The aftermarket piston could be lighter. Vibes could be lessened. This changes the comfortable cruising speed.

The rings and cylinder could seal better too. This burns less oil.

A lot of KLR riders don't like revving over 5K RPMs or the bike starts using oil and vibes can get bad.

A lot of DR riders rev their bike to the limiter without major concern. It isn't known for using oil or vibing. The bike revs out nicely for having an agricultural motor. Sorted carbing and a Stage 2 cam, among other mods, can make it even better. The DR responds nicely to power mods.

Kommando screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 01:08 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote