User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2014, 02:17 AM   #1
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,757
Mt Clay SW Victoria ride

I got stood up for a ride yesterday by Slowpoak ( he who throws like a girl)
because it was supposed to rain. It eventually did manage to rain by about 10p.m. so I guess the weather office was right after all. Anyway my DRZ was ready and I had time so I set off for a few hours in our local forest areas near Portland.

It has been a dry spell, for our area anyway, and the railway track heading North is passable now. As is usual, the 4WD dickheads have been playing " lets get stuck in the mud".

I wonder if they ever consider filling in their huge ruts to make fire truck access easier. Having hit one of these ruts in long grass and busting my clavicle it is a sore point with me! I headed out along the edge of the Cobobboonee Forest checking out old trails that we used to ride in the past.

Many looked overgrown now that Forest Park has no funding for recreational management. I guess what will remain will be the major fire breaks and walking tracks.

I ended up on the Great South West Walk by mistake when the exit track that used to be there has overgrown. Oops! From there I managed to use single tracks heading North East towards Heywood. I crossed the Henty Highway near the Surrey River.

I took a right turn at the edge of the Mt. Clay Forest. The hills are a combination of sand and clay ; both incredibly hard to get through when wet. The bogs can swallow bikes mid -winter. There was a bushfire up on Mt Clay last November. It is regenerating nicely. The roos are well fed with all the new grass.

A lot of the steeper hills gated for the winter.

The hills are hard enough to walk up and riders and 4WD find it challenging. The recently opened tracks have been chewed up already.

I ended up at a fence line with "no bikes" but luckily a gate lead me into my friend Ivan's farm. I GOT A WARM WELCOME ONCE THEY WORKED OUT WHO IT WAS RIDING THROUGH THEIR FARM. YOU MIGHT NOT GET A CUP OF TEA THOUGH!

Scenes of Portland Bay, a deep water port mid -way between Adelaide and Melbourne.

After that I went towards the trig point, where the telecommunications towers are. Check out the padlocks!

This is more like the forest looks like without fire; a dense under storey & bike selfie again.

I could see volcanic peaks in the distance NE direction, Mt Eccles and Mt .Napier then the Grampian ranges. We have all this in our backyard, yet so many people bypass Portland and its forest areas. We have been logging GPS trails though the area on www.transaustraliatrail.com.au Check it out!
I took as many fire tracks as I could on the way home. I got bogged along the railway line at one stage. The black goo took a bit of effort to clean off.

Photos to follow/now here thanks to incredibly slow rural internet speeds. Photobucket upload took all night.

Suzuki DRZ400 wide ratio ACT gearbox
Suzuki DL650 Glee

XRman screwed with this post 11-16-2014 at 01:21 PM
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:50 AM   #2
Rottenronnie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I had breakfast in Heywood once.

And came back for Lunch, when I got lost on my way to the Grampians. Love those Volcanic rock type roads down there.
Rottenronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

taut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottenronnie View Post
And came back for Lunch, when I got lost on my way to the Grampians. Love those Volcanic rock type roads down there.
A lot of people miss out on the great riding because they lack local knowledge. We have been posting GPS tracks on www.transaustraliatrail.com.au for tourists to follow.

Give it a try.

Suzuki DL650 Glee
Old 11-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
Rottenronnie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Gps

Thanks for that. I'm thinking of heading down that way again.
Rottenronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
James Cook
O.H.M.S

Oddometer: 563
photo's

Photo's came out well,is it a new camera?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

yep new camera

I have retired my Motorola Defy and used a Panasonic Lumix FT5?????

It is a point and shoot with a heap of electronics to make me look like I know how to photograph scenery. It is dust and water proof and is on special at Hardly Normal. My wife likes it too, so I will have to share it.

As Wal mentioned the other day only dentists can afford a GalaxyS5 phone, but thanks to the enormous profit margin on dental materials charged by Henry Schein (a major dental supplier) I got a free phone for paying my account on time.

I am hoping Wal will have mastered using the phone as a GPS before long, so he can teach me.

Suzuki DL650 Glee
Old 11-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #7
bull600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Looks like some nice tracks there Kym

I'm going to have to get over to your neck of the woods sometime...

Cheers
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:41 AM   #8
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

welcome

You are welcome to stay with us any time Greg. We took AMTRA (S.A.) around the SWAT track a few years ago. It is a 2-3 day ride linking Portland, Casterton, Nelson. I broke my clavicle (again) on the ride!!
Bring some riding buddies too.

I am heading to Crystal Brook this weekend to visit my Mum in her nursing home. I will use part of your LSE ride route on the way to Tailem Bend.

Suzuki DL650 Glee
Old 11-20-2014, 01:53 AM   #9
bull600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
You are welcome to stay with us any time Greg. We took AMTRA (S.A.) around the SWAT track a few years ago. It is a 2-3 day ride linking Portland, Casterton, Nelson. I broke my clavicle (again) on the ride!!
Bring some riding buddies too.

I am heading to Crystal Brook this weekend to visit my Mum in her nursing home. I will use part of your LSE ride route on the way to Tailem Bend.
Thanks for the offer Kym, hope that collarbone's all healed up

Got a day off tomorrow so I'm heading down the Fleurieu for a ride

Cheers
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
jacobsmonarch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
good roads, good choice and good motorcycle have a nice roads by it
even if i wouldn't want go there,after i saw that lock i would like to be inside
Old 11-24-2014, 04:14 AM   #11
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

old fracture

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull600 View Post
Thanks for the offer Kym, hope that collarbone's all healed up

Got a day off tomorrow so I'm heading down the Fleurieu for a ride

Cheers
The collarbone was fixed with a internal pin about 5 years ago. It failed to heal for 6 months prior though. It had been broken twice prior and not healed very well. I haven't had much luck with bones in the last 3 years though; one fractured leg and 5 ribs in separate accidents.

I did 1600 km last weekend when I visited my Mum in Crystal Brook. The Vstrom handled it very well.

Suzuki DL650 Glee
Old 12-31-2014, 12:11 AM   #12
enookway
Are we having fun yet?

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post

It has been a dry spell, for our area anyway, and the railway track heading North is passable now. As is usual, the 4WD dickheads have been playing " lets get stuck in the mud".

You soon forget how green the green triangle is.
Been many a good ride start at that fenceline. The track maintenance has slipped since the govt took over from former local residents.
enookway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:09 AM   #13
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

That plus dickheads in 4 WD rutting it up in winter and failing to return to remediate their damage.

Suzuki DL650 Glee