ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Dustcloud9 OP
Cloud Rider/800 511

Oddometer: 64
Up the TWAT, Northshore around and Down the TMAT(East)

We are collecting up info for a major summer expedition, the plan is to add 3 stickers to everyones bike...TWAT, Canadian Flag, and TMAT (Minn ADV). We are looking for suggestions on the best time to ride both routes, how long to take and how well the Bigger Bikes F800GS, KTM 990, 1200GS might handle this. We are looking at options for both hotel and camping and locations for both. Planning early summer, what do you guys think?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustcloud9 View Post
Planning early summer, what do you guys think?
I think you will probably find most everything you are asking about by taking a look at the threads for those two rides. I think the TMAT has a web site as well. A quick search will reveal the primary threads and then you will be able to come back with specific questions that weren't covered there.

Hope you have a wonderful trip. Sounds like you have a nice ride planned.

TWAT

TMAT

North Shore info in here.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
Dustcloud9 OP
Cloud Rider/800 511

Thanks

[QUOTE=Cannonshot;20396618]I think you will probably find most everything you are asking about by taking a look at the threads for those two rides. I think the TMAT has a web site as well. A quick search will reveal the primary threads and then you will be able to come back with specific questions that weren't covered there.

Thanks Cannonshot, I've looked through many of your rides...Awesome stuff...I spend a lot of time up in the Minong area, I've been going there since I was a kid...one of these days I'm going to get a group from St. Louis to ride up for your guys ADV ralley...it sounds like a blast
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,420
You can make a nice loop out of that! If you do the TWAT route to the end, then head over to Duluth, you can hop on the TMAT Eastern Route and take that to Canada, then follow the TMAT Central route south to the Minnesota / Iowa border. THere are actually good routes through Iowa that can connect you back to Illinois and to the start of the TWAT.

I have never done this in one ride, but its doable! Let me know if there is anything else you need help with.

I think the bigger bikes will be fine for most of it, and there are always routing options if you feel you brought the wrong bike for the job.

Late June and July offer really long riding days so that is my favorite time to do these routes. You can put in quite a few miles and still eat and set up camp before dark.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
rokklym
one man wolfpack

This route combines the TWAT, TMAT Central, TMAT East and the Great River Gravel ride into a 1925 mile route!
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,195
[QUOTE=Dustcloud9;20401366]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
I think you will probably find most everything you are asking about by taking a look at the threads for those two rides. I think the TMAT has a web site as well. A quick search will reveal the primary threads and then you will be able to come back with specific questions that weren't covered there.

Thanks Cannonshot, I've looked through many of your rides...Awesome stuff...I spend a lot of time up in the Minong area, I've been going there since I was a kid...one of these days I'm going to get a group from St. Louis to ride up for your guys ADV ralley...it sounds like a blast
Thanks. The rally is fun. Lots of good riding. I hope this turns out to be a great trip for you!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Dustcloud9 OP
Cloud Rider/800 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym View Post
You can make a nice loop out of that! If you do the TWAT route to the end, then head over to Duluth, you can hop on the TMAT Eastern Route and take that to Canada, then follow the TMAT Central route south to the Minnesota / Iowa border. THere are actually good routes through Iowa that can connect you back to Illinois and to the start of the TWAT.

I have never done this in one ride, but its doable! Let me know if there is anything else you need help with.

I think the bigger bikes will be fine for most of it, and there are always routing options if you feel you brought the wrong bike for the job.

Late June and July offer really long riding days so that is my favorite time to do these routes. You can put in quite a few miles and still eat and set up camp before dark.
Thanks Chad, I was thinking mid June, it might be more wet, but hopefully less dusty....I pass through Westby every year heading north to my parents place, its a cool little town.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Dustcloud9 OP
Cloud Rider/800 511

North Shore

Please tell me what you think,
right now Im thinking 2 days for the TWAT, starting early morning both days, and finishing up with a short pavement to my parents place near Minong. Then heading up to Duluth for a day of pavement up the northshore to Canada then around to International Falls on the Trans Canada. Spend the night there. Then 2 days heading down the TMAT. I feel pretty good about the TWAT...I know Wisconsin well enough..but I'm not real comfortable with the Northern part of the TMAT, there isn't much up that way. Do you guys take a SPOT with you when you ride up there? Just in case. Is 2 days enough? Our group is not real into camping so we will most likely look for hotels...any recommendations on Hotels or Resorts?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Dustcloud9 OP
Cloud Rider/800 511

Very cool route

I like this route, but I'm a little worried our group will be dog tired by the 3rd day, I was thinking the northshore drive would be a pretty easy day
Quote:

This route combines the TWAT, TMAT Central, TMAT East and the Great River Gravel ride into a 1925 mile route!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,906
THIS sounds fun!
-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustcloud9 View Post
Please tell me what you think,
right now Im thinking 2 days for the TWAT, starting early morning both days, and finishing up with a short pavement to my parents place near Minong. Then heading up to Duluth for a day of pavement up the northshore to Canada then around to International Falls on the Trans Canada. Spend the night there. Then 2 days heading down the TMAT. I feel pretty good about the TWAT...I know Wisconsin well enough..but I'm not real comfortable with the Northern part of the TMAT, there isn't much up that way. Do you guys take a SPOT with you when you ride up there? Just in case. Is 2 days enough? Our group is not real into camping so we will most likely look for hotels...any recommendations on Hotels or Resorts?
Doing the full TWAT route in two days can be done, but its a haul, that would be a little over 300 miles per day, and that doesn't sound like a lot, it is when you are talking about a 35mph average. I think you could end Day 2 at your parents in Minong, then finish up the route on the morning of the third day (best part of the TWAT route). Then you could make your way to Duluth and stay overnight there. From Duluth to International Falls, following the route is one good solid day of riding, its a haul and has a pretty remote feel to it. Taking the highway up is way more scenic since it follows that amazing North Shore, less adventure, more scenery, both ways are great, just depends on what you want.

I think the ride back down the Minnesota side will take a good 2 1/2 days.

I think something like a SPOT is nice to have, but not an essential, just depends of if you feel its worth the expense.

Lots of hotels along the way, I have a few favorites but I'm not sure how they will work for where you'll be staying. The good thing about hotels is that you can extend your riding day quite a bit, making your time frame a little more likely.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
foxfire
YRUYUR?

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
...it is when you are talking about a 35mph average...
...depending who you're riding with.
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire View Post
...depending who you're riding with.
True!
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 01-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
Dustcloud9 OP
Cloud Rider/800 511

Thumb Small group

Quote:
Doing the full TWAT route in two days can be done, but its a haul, that would be a little over 300 miles per day, and that doesn't sound like a lot, it is when you are talking about a 35mph average. I think you could end Day 2 at your parents in Minong, then finish up the route on the morning of the third day (best part of the TWAT route). Then you could make your way to Duluth and stay overnight there. From Duluth to International Falls, following the route is one good solid day of riding, its a haul and has a pretty remote feel to it. Taking the highway up is way more scenic since it follows that amazing North Shore, less adventure, more scenery, both ways are great, just depends on what you want.

I think the ride back down the Minnesota side will take a good 2 1/2 days.

I think something like a SPOT is nice to have, but not an essential, just depends of if you feel its worth the expense.

Lots of hotels along the way, I have a few favorites but I'm not sure how they will work for where you'll be staying. The good thing about hotels is that you can extend your riding day quite a bit, making your time frame a little more likely.
We are planning on keep the group fairly small so we can keep things moving....The nice thing about the TWAT is that I know a few of the cutoffs if we run into bad conditions. Along these lines, what sections are "do not miss" , we do not plan on missing any of it, everyone in our group wants to hit it all, and if it takes us longer, we may cut off a section of the TMAT and do all of it next year.
Have you guys thought about putting in a East version? so it can be a complete loop of Wisconsin? That would be a pretty cool thing, and I imagine Cannonshots got some routes that could go into it. Just a thought
Thanks again
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
foxfire
YRUYUR?

Oddometer: 1,136
Not much to be had as far as gravel and unimproved roads in the east...especially the bottom half.
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote