ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #16
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: St Louis MO
Oddometer: 1,274
reading up on twat?

Another STL resident here. This sounds like a great ride. Still have not explored the great lakes region. What is the weather like in July? Just downloaded the gpx, looks great. Thinking of giving this a go as an option for a nice weeklong ride.
__________________
2008 WR250R(Anywhere)
2009 Versys

Oh2RideMore screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 09:10 PM Reason: downloaded the gpx
Oh2RideMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame
 
Metallic Waste's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Paradise Falls
Oddometer: 3,954
July would be good. A little warmer down south, but perfect around the lakes.
-K
__________________
"Are you kidding? Did you see her? I'd carry a dead minature dog around for her".

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
lunchm3at
n00b
 
lunchm3at's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: LaCrosse, WI Area
Oddometer: 9
Loos like a great time!
lunchm3at is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time
 
Cannonshot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: SE Wisconsin
Oddometer: 19,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustcloud9 View Post
Have you guys thought about putting in a East version? so it can be a complete loop of Wisconsin? That would be a pretty cool thing, and I imagine Cannonshots got some routes that could go into it. Just a thought
Thanks again
There are three return routes, also scenic road rides, done back in 2008 for a return trip.

Bayfield to Dubuque



Bayfield to Beloit



Bayfield to Kenosha



And if you have a dirt bike and some time on your hands, the Wisconsin-Michigan Dual Sport Adventure.



Hopes this answers your question.
__________________
Cannonshot.net
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #20
rokklym
one man wolfpack
 
rokklym's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Westby Wisconsin
Oddometer: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
And if you have a dirt bike and some time on your hands, the Wisconsin-Michigan Dual Sport Adventure.



Hopes this answers your question.
Now take the TWAT route out of that and add in the TMAT and GRGR and you have one heck of a big route!

There are unlimited options to make a huge route.
__________________
Check out the Blog!
MotoGraphic
MotoGraphic Tumblr
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #21
Dustcloud9 OP
Cloud Rider/800 511
 
Dustcloud9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Cardinal Nation
Oddometer: 65
Rockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
Another STL resident here. This sounds like a great ride. Still have not explored the great lakes region. What is the weather like in July? Just downloaded the gpx, looks great. Thinking of giving this a go as an option for a nice weeklong ride.
Rolf,
Come by one of the Rockers Bike nights if your interested in joining us, we haven't firmed up the dates or route yet so if you have interest in doing a specific section we can work that in. What bike are you planning on taking?
__________________
2010 BMW F800GS..White as a cloud
2013 Husky TE511...Dueling Beast
Dustcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #22
Dustcloud9 OP
Cloud Rider/800 511
 
Dustcloud9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Cardinal Nation
Oddometer: 65
Midwest Back Country Discovery Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym View Post
Now take the TWAT route out of that and add in the TMAT and GRGR and you have one heck of a big route!

There are unlimited options to make a huge route.
I say link all of those up and send it to the Backcountry folks, they could get a taste of some Midwest Dual Sport....It might be more like 2 weeks with all of that added in, but it would be a fun 2 weeks
__________________
2010 BMW F800GS..White as a cloud
2013 Husky TE511...Dueling Beast
Dustcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #23
Dustcloud9 OP
Cloud Rider/800 511
 
Dustcloud9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Cardinal Nation
Oddometer: 65
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
There are three return routes, also scenic road rides, done back in 2008 for a return trip.

Bayfield to Dubuque



Bayfield to Beloit



Bayfield to Kenosha



And if you have a dirt bike and some time on your hands, the Wisconsin-Michigan Dual Sport Adventure.



Hopes this answers your question.
Thanks for the additional Routes, I'm always looking for new routes up through Wisconsin....any of you guys coming down for the Swinging Bridges Ride in Missouri? If so let me know I would like to buy you a beer and talk more...thanks again
__________________
2010 BMW F800GS..White as a cloud
2013 Husky TE511...Dueling Beast
Dustcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer
 
ThumperStorm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: St. Cloud, Minnesota
Oddometer: 1,118
I love this thread. I plan on riding a lot of these routes this summer on my Yamaha XT550. Just bought myself a Garmin Oregon 450 and have been busy playing with it and with using Basecamp. Lots of fun on cold winter days.
__________________
"Maybe you ain't in a rut, maybe you're in a ditch, way over your head." Don Marshall
ThumperStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #25
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: St Louis MO
Oddometer: 1,274
dates, bike, etc

Still in the planning phase. Looking to ride the WR250R, after adding a larger tank. The versys would be better on highway up, but once in the sand and rocks, would like the bigger front wheel and lighter weight. July or August would work, all is open right now. Like the option of coming back via west or east minnesota or michigan, a big loop of fun. Camping along the way, not too many miles per day, as avg mph will be slow and I like to stop and take pics. Will meet up at a future bike night. Still riding daily so cold does not keep me from riding.
__________________
2008 WR250R(Anywhere)
2009 Versys
Oh2RideMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #26
Dustcloud9 OP
Cloud Rider/800 511
 
Dustcloud9's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Cardinal Nation
Oddometer: 65
The UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
Still in the planning phase. Looking to ride the WR250R, after adding a larger tank. The versys would be better on highway up, but once in the sand and rocks, would like the bigger front wheel and lighter weight. July or August would work, all is open right now. Like the option of coming back via west or east minnesota or michigan, a big loop of fun. Camping along the way, not too many miles per day, as avg mph will be slow and I like to stop and take pics. Will meet up at a future bike night. Still riding daily so cold does not keep me from riding.
Yeah I've always wanted to do the Michigan Loop, it sounds like the loop track would be better suited for the 250. I would be tempted to take the KLX, but the route we have been talking about has some long sections of pavement and the KLX maxs out around 70 and isn't very comfortable. I'm the same way on the stops, I like to enjoy the ride and snap some pics. I think we are leaning toward just doing the TWAT this summer, taking 3 days to go up, relax at my parents lake house for a day (some local riding) and maybe ride the lower part of the TMAT East. But we can talk about it at bike night, it all depends on how much time everyone has.
__________________
2010 BMW F800GS..White as a cloud
2013 Husky TE511...Dueling Beast
Dustcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #27
SplitRock
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SplitRock's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: North Shore
Oddometer: 129
Support Stop...

This looks like a cool ride. I'm in Duluth. Depending on when, and how many riders take part, I may be able to lend a hand with a place to crash, do bike maintenance, grill out, et cet... Just a thought

Brent
SplitRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #28
kknuth
Up Nort!
 
kknuth's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Twin Cities
Oddometer: 190
Thumb

Shoot me a PM if you are still having questions regarding how long it will take to cover the TMAT, and where to stay on the north shore, and if you really need a SPOT or not. I am happy to help you trip plan. We can do it via email, over the phone, or do a screenshare and review the route together.

Rokklym's suggestions of connecting the TMAT and TWAT are good ones. There are connecting routes on Dual Sport Maps right now, but they are somewhat unproven. I think we can fix that before your ride.

It'll be an epic adventure for sure.
kknuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014