User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
johnyrrr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
shipper for bike from west to east

im Going to ship a bike from California to Michigan, anyone got a good shipper to recommend or should I just try Uship.com.??? They have shipped a car before for me and where pretty decent.
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
After watching "shipping wars" I can safely say that I will NEVER use Uship.

I think this show has shed them in a very poor light.

Any person with a truck and/or trailer seems to be qualifed to work for them.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,762
Use Keyboard. No, not 'your' keyboard, but Keyboard Motorcycle shipping.

I never used them before last November, and had my dream bike delivered with zero hassle, and in the condition it was described. Great, friendly staff as well.

They may be 50-100 dollars more than a local or anonymous 'shipper / trucker', but peace of mind and it arriving 100% was worth it to me. YMMV.

Keyboard shipping

BTW, my delivery was to Michigan as well.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Cdub!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I too have used keyboard and have nothing but good things to say.....
Cdub! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
johnyrrr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I will check them out. i missed this shipping wars thing, I guess i got lucky before with uship?
Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Ridestrong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Me too!

+1

Not that expensive. Like $675 coast to coast (last July) $575 for my bike from Maine to Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdub! View Post
I too have used keyboard and have nothing but good things to say.....
Ridestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
Briggy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
UShip

I shipped an 800GS from Florida to Vegas in the spring and stumbled across uShip.com which sort of works for shipping like eBay does for selling stuff, except that the freight people bid for your business. In 5 hours I had a deal at about half of what I expected to pay, a driver that had over 70 perfect customer rating scores and a pickup date at the vendor's house in 2 days.

The bike got deliverd in perfect condition and on time, and the driver was excellent to communicate with too. The driver only got patment upon delivery and the uShip systme handles the patment. Wow was I impressed. Can't say enough about them.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggy View Post
I shipped an 800GS from Florida to Vegas in the spring and stumbled across uShip.com which sort of works for shipping like eBay does for selling stuff, except that the freight people bid for your business. In 5 hours I had a deal at about half of what I expected to pay, a driver that had over 70 perfect customer rating scores and a pickup date at the vendor's house in 2 days.

The bike got deliverd in perfect condition and on time, and the driver was excellent to communicate with too. The driver only got patment upon delivery and the uShip systme handles the patment. Wow was I impressed. Can't say enough about them.
Wife and I laughed at this one. We caught a couple episodes of shipping wars, we both were like man this show is gonna kill uship , If any of those clowns showed up at in my driveway I would send them down the road- empty : well maybe I would be nice to one half way decent looking women , but I would not let her haul anything with paint on it.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 811
Keyboard told me they no longer go west of the Rockies. Try Marc at Snortin Boar. It will depend on his schedule. Also Federal Trucking are very good .

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
emt8q5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Uship.com

Just thought I'd chime in with another +1 for Uship. I just shipped an 1150 GSA from the tip of Florida to St. Louis MO. Over 1k miles. Wired money to the previous owner on a Tuesday afternoon, bike was delivered first thing Saturday morning. I went with a shipper with many positive reviews and no negatives. He was down there picking up a classic car and had room in the trailer.

Price was significantly cheaper (Over $300 less than a quote I received from one of the conventional shippers mentioned in this thread, not to mention about 3 weeks earlier delivery), communication from start to finish was excellent (they also have a GPS tracker with history...I could literally watch as my guy stopped for an hour while he loaded up my bike and then see when he got back on the road), and I couldn't have been happier with the handling of my bike. When the guy dropped my bike off, he had a classic car and a Harley in the trailer as well. Everything was professionally secured and protected, absolutely no complaints about how it was packed and loaded. Oh, and had anything bad happened, I had been emailed a certificate of proof of insurance before my bike was ever picked up. They had plenty of coverage to cover everything in the trailer in the event of an accident. Bullet proof? Probably not. It did give me peace of mind however.

Like anything else, I'm sure there have been some bad experiences on Uship. I'm sure there've been some bad experiences with conventional shippers as well. In my case, Uship.com allowed me to save a significant amount of money and get my bike to my front door faster than I thought possible. I couldn't be happier with my experience and won't hesitate to use the service again.

It doesn't cost any money to post a shipment and start receiving bids. Give it a try, see what you think.
emt8q5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
Maybe the show should be called Shipping Idiots that aren't representative of Uship
My distaste for them is based purely on what they show on TV... I know, but it's hard to get those images out of your head.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
slowpoke28787
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
another choice

I used motorcycle shippers.com also by the name JC Motors to move a bike from Calif to North Carolina. $734 which included bumping the value for insurance up a little. Good on time service and constant online tracking of progress. A friend who recommended them has used them several times too. Worth checking out.
slowpoke28787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #13
johnyrrr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I hope Keyboard is still going to California, thier website shows they are. I wonder if what was seen on the show Shipping Wars was just a little made for TV drama like everything else I would hope Uship would have fixxed and fired any crappy shippers they had working for them. On another note I would love to ride the bike from Cali-Mich but the cold nites would kill me and to many chances along the way for ice through the mountains and it was 20 deg here this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke28787 View Post
I used motorcycle shippers.com also by the name JC Motors to move a bike from Calif to North Carolina. $734 which included bumping the value for insurance up a little. Good on time service and constant online tracking of progress. A friend who recommended them has used them several times too. Worth checking out.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #14
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
I work with BMW dealers for many years. What we use to ship brand new uncrated bikes from dealer to dealer is: http://www.funtransport.com/
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka View Post
I work with BMW dealers for many years. What we use to ship brand new uncrated bikes from dealer to dealer is: http://www.funtransport.com/
Yes, call the BMW dealer. They crated my GS for me using a used BMW GS crate. The GS crate is now my shop workbench and it says BMW all over the bench.
def is offline   Reply With Quote