Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #61
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
It was with some trepidation that I finally opened up this thread, thinking that it would be annoying, or only mildly entertaining at best, or even majorly pissed off at all the crap. Like these threads usually are whenever they surface.
Actually, what a brilliant read. Some clever, articulate and thoughtful posts on here. (Except that everyone sounds cleverer than me)

I like it!

I still maintain my biggest "Adventure Ride" was on a Yamaha AG100 with no clutch, no kickstarter, worn front sprocket, in the wallum in flooding rain and only did about 30kms (in 5 hours), aged 15. With my 12 yo brother on a TS90.....

Been reading this thread since it started, my two-bob's worth; ride what ya brung, enjoy the ride & the road - no matter where it takes ya!!!!!

Tuena Pub - what a waste of a good pub !!!!!!! :c ry

I'm always having fun on these old bastards!!!!!!
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #62
stormsearcher OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
It was with some trepidation that I finally opened up this thread, thinking that it would be annoying, or only mildly entertaining at best, or even majorly pissed off at all the crap. Like these threads usually are whenever they surface.
Actually, what a brilliant read. Some clever, articulate and thoughtful posts on here. (Except that everyone sounds cleverer than me)

I like it!

I still maintain my biggest "Adventure Ride" was on a Yamaha AG100 with no clutch, no kickstarter, worn front sprocket, in the wallum in flooding rain and only did about 30kms (in 5 hours), aged 15. With my 12 yo brother on a TS90.....
its the spirit that counts. whether i ride off road 'adv' bikes thro the desert or roadbikes to untravelled destinations the emoyions are the same, anxiety & excitement . there are many parameters that can go wrong. so i would rather ride a fast bike on bitumin and an off road bike off road. its all going into the unknown -adventure!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #63
ADVJake
i like stuff

Oddometer: 4,338
The fun begins in the dirt for me, where the well formed & maintained road ends. It's disappointing when a dirt track gets graded. The more challenging, the more i have to work the controls & the limited traction i have to achieve forward momentum, the more fun it is.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #64
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbike smallpenis View Post
So Grasshopper - is a sidecar an Adventure bike?
We still haven't decided what the term "Adventure riding" is exactly, and now you want to throw the term "Adventure bike" in there...

I think I would feel like a bit of a wanker standing beside my 640 patting the seat and saying "This is my adventure bike!" to anyone...

So is "Adventure riding" any ride you take an "Adventure bike" on?

"Adventure bike" being a GSA, Tiger, Tranny etc?

(yes I know any bike can be used for all roads touring, but real adventure bikes must be bought from a manufacturer and have a Toura Tech catalog thrown at them...)

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #65
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
The fun begins in the dirt for me, where the well formed & maintained road ends. It's disappointing when a dirt track gets graded. The more challenging, the more i have to work the controls & the limited traction i have to achieve forward momentum, the more fun it is.
You need bald tyres then...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #66
ADVJake
i like stuff

Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
You need bald tyres then...
That usually just stops me from being able to get up most hills, and in the wet, i'll be down more than up
Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #67
stormsearcher OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
when i adventure ride on bitumin its trying to get my knee down on corners,bike slides too ,gravel on road in corner, wildlife watching and deciding to play chicken at warp speeds.putty road kinda road is great adventure road. dont know if am going to jail, hospital or morgue before i reach other end .loll
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #68
stormsearcher OP
Studly Adventurer

adv rider

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5iU7twPOio

this is an adventure. apparently he is doing it all over again.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #69
Uncle Crumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
We still haven't decided what the term "Adventure riding" is exactly, and now you want to throw the term "Adventure bike" in there...

I think I would feel like a bit of a wanker standing beside my 640 patting the seat and saying "This is my adventure bike!" to anyone...

So is "Adventure riding" any ride you take an "Adventure bike" on?

"Adventure bike" being a GSA, Tiger, Tranny etc?

(yes I know any bike can be used for all roads touring, but real adventure bikes must be bought from a manufacturer and have a Toura Tech catalog thrown at them...)
They used to be called "big bore trailies" that's what I still call them, and you road them "off road". Why do people always put labels on things?
Ducati 907ie.83 TT600 KTM 640 Adventure
Etz 250 Guzzi Quota 1000
Uncle Crumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #70
AlSheehan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
We still haven't decided what the term "Adventure riding" is exactly, ...

Well, I move a motion that the following suggestion be considered as a starting point for development:

Firstly, can we agree the "riding" part of the term adventure riding shall hence forth mean "riding a motorcycle" , as distinct from riding a bicycle, horse, donkey, zebra, bull, pogo stick, unicycle, unicycle while juggling, or ?

I would also like to suggest the adventure part of the term has 4 aspects:
1. Something not done before.
2. Something that is a challenge.
3. Something that involves risk.
4. The accepting and taking of responsibility.
Any one part if this is not represented, it is not an adventure (but it might still be fun!).

Like all good things, adventure is not black and white... it has many shades of grey, and probably a fair bit of colour too (and we aren't just talking language here).

Lets look more closely at the 4 facets of adventure...

The scale of "Something not done before" reads as:
1. Something never done by anyone before. (e.g. ride a bike around Australia below the high tide level)
2. Something never done by anyone known to "the adventurer" before (e.g. "Bugger! You mean Bass and Flinder's rode posties?!")
3. Something never done by "the adventurer" before (e.g. "Which one is the clutch lever again?")
4. Something done by "the adventurer" before but under easier conditions.
5. Something done more than 3.2 times before is disqualified as an adventure.

The scale of "Something that is a challenge" reads as:
1. Something damn near impossible (e.g. riding the entire length of the Great Dividing Range along its crest - "pass the wire cutters...")
2. Something more difficult than anyone has been known to do
3. Something more difficult than "the adventurer" has done before (e.g. Whew! That was fun!)
4. Something of equal or lesser difficulty than what "the adventurer" has done before.
(Note: impossible challenges are disqualified... you idiot!)

The scale of "Something that involves risk" reads as:
1. Significant risk to life and/or injury and remoteness from medical aid. (e.g. "Burke and Wills did it, so it must be OK...")
2. Risk of injury, illness, breakdown or misadventure (e.g. dangerous wordplay there...)
3. Risk of insulting or becoming engaged to the daughter of an angry farmer in a non-english speaking third world country
4. Risk you'll be late for tea.
(Note: certain death is disqualified... you idiot! ... and carpal tunnel syndrome from writing fake ride reports is also disqualified).

The scale of "Accepting and taking responsibility" reads as:
1. Major hazards and threats to the successful completion of "the adventure" identified, and contingency plans in place.
2. "It won't happen to me".
3. "She'll be right. If I run out of fuel, I've got my PLB".
(Note: bitching about how somebody spoiled your "adventure experience" is instant disqualification of "the adventurer"... the adventure itself may still be OK.

Al.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #71
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 4,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Crumpet View Post
They used to be called "big bore trailies" that's what I still call them, and you road them "off road". Why do people always put labels on things?

Because after a long day's "adventure riding" it's handy to be able to tell your Tom Piper from your Golden Circle.
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #72
Uncle Crumpet
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
Because after a long day's "adventure riding" it's handy to be able to tell your Tom Piper from your Golden Circle.
Sooner or later someone had to bring sex into it! For the record I've never had trouble telling the difference and never had to stick a label on either one!
Etz 250 Guzzi Quota 1000
Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #73
Uncle Crumpet
Studly Adventurer

Adventure rider- one who while shagging the missus whispers " your no where near as good as your sister!"
Etz 250 Guzzi Quota 1000
Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 AM   #74
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Crumpet View Post
Adventure rider- one who while shagging the missus whispers " your no where near as good as your sister!"

That goes from an adventure ride to a plain wild ride, no need for spurs - she'll buck alright!!!
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #75
Meico640
Banned

Oddometer: 264
Every ride is an adventure ! Cos the only one who matters in the Answer to this Question is YOU !

So Fuckem !

If you think your having an Adventure then there's the answer !
Meico640 is offline   Reply With Quote