ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2005, 07:39 PM   #1
TorqueWrench OP
Obsolete and Ugly

Oddometer: 605
North GA Warning

For those of you who ride North GA in the Suches area. We were camping up there this weekend and the GHP had a massive crack down operation going on Hwy 60 and Hwy 180. They were using LEO's in the woods with hand held laser, a helicopter, slow moving unmarked cars, and road blocks. If you were speeding or doing any illegal passing, they were passing out tickets on a wholesale level. A group of seven bikers who were camping near us all got a ticket for passing on a double yellow. Three of them did not actually pass the car. Didn't matter, They still got a ticket. I understand that this operation is supposed to last throughout the summer in different focus areas. Watch what you do if you ride in this area.
XLHDTB Troy-Bilt Lard Boy (42" cut)
All The Other Bikes...
TorqueWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,295
Thit has been going on for so long now.. since a speedy jet bike lost control passed Suches, by the creek, and his bike hit a kid that was fishing (the kid made it), his Dad supposedly was a friend, or called the Governer and on and on... the fine ARE doubled in Lumpkin County with mandatory court appearance... I know... don't ask how I know...
But... anyhow... I was riding sat am till 1pm and did not see one blue light special... actually the attendance of bikes on said roads was very very light... I was surprised... I have been away in AZ for quite a few weeks...
Have things changed?
Be well... and Thanks for the warning...
Ara
BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:36 AM   #3
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,172
He Ara,

I'm coming up for lunch with you...see pm. No problem, I never ride over 25 anyway and I never do a double yellow.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:46 AM   #4
CCRyder
Champ

Oddometer: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill
Ara never ever ever rides over 25 anyway and he would never do a double yellow (well, I know of at least one "performance award" in Colorado).
Marty, we haven't met, but I fixed this quot to "apply" for Ara!

2002 KTM 520 E/XC
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
CCRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:36 AM   #5
TorqueWrench OP
Obsolete and Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerChef
Thit has been going on for so long now.. since a speedy jet bike lost control passed Suches, by the creek, and his bike hit a kid that was fishing (the kid made it), his Dad supposedly was a friend, or called the Governer and on and on... the fine ARE doubled in Lumpkin County with mandatory court appearance... I know... don't ask how I know...
But... anyhow... I was riding sat am till 1pm and did not see one blue light special... actually the attendance of bikes on said roads was very very light... I was surprised... I have been away in AZ for quite a few weeks...
Have things changed?
Be well... and Thanks for the warning...
Ara
Don't know how you missed all of this excitement. The speed trap/road block was set up on North 60 above the Lumpkin Co. Line. We came through it at 10AM. The Helicopter was working the gas station in Suches and following groups of sport bikes up 60 and 180. They had numerous catch cars posted on both roads. We counted 16 cars at the Hwy 60 road block. Lucky us, our lead rider, on a ZX-9, was poking along at 52mph. Seed limit for the legnth of Hwy 60 is 45mph. I figured that they would ticket all of us but they didn't. I don't know if thigs have changed but I've never seen that many LEO's up there and I've never seen them using aircraft. It's apparent that they are sending a message.
All The Other Bikes...
Old 06-27-2005, 05:56 AM   #6
Linzi
Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer: 15,438
It sucks (and God knows I've been wrongly ticketed by Lumpkin County), but I know and understand why they're up there.
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:58 AM   #7
Pengaleng
Hellbilly Peckerwood

Oddometer: 3,519
I rode the forest service area in the woods with BeefJerky and BlownCJ. We didn't see any LEO action in the woods. Dual Sport rules!!!

Hi Ara.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:25 AM   #8
TorqueWrench OP
Obsolete and Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengaleng
I rode the forest service area in the woods with BeefJerky and BlownCJ. We didn't see any LEO action in the woods. Dual Sport rules!!!

Hi Ara.
A KLR riding dude at High Valley told me that you're now supposed to buy some sort of permit to ride the forest service roads up there. Have you heard anything about this?
All The Other Bikes...
Old 06-27-2005, 07:26 AM   #9
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

NO... you don't need a permit! as long as your cycle is street legal with plates... a lot of trucks take that, those, roads to go fishing!
I came down the Mountains saturday at 11:30 am... I am amazed that I did miss all the excitement... I met a bunch of Wings there from the Honda Hoot (yes? was is this weekend...)... and of course... Big Mouth Susan (yellow SV650...) with an entourage of eager Crutch Rockets... the woman must have an audience for sure... Maybe they got busted?
Hi Pengaleng... Just got a house this am on 24 acres!!!... and a garage... and an old barn... and 4 old barn style carports!!! Very excited... there is at least room for 500 people to camp... but we won't go there!!! right???
Will post pictures tomorrow...
I have to pretty much stay off the dirt unless mild... my rotator cuff is trashed from too much dirt in AZ!!! The roads there are awsome... generally spend hours and hours without seeing a soul! you would like it...
Let me know when up this area... will probably be off till september now... cannot rush into things...
Hi Linzi... Hi Ilmostro... long time no see... lets do something about it!!!
Be well...
Ara
Old 06-27-2005, 07:29 AM   #10
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzi
It sucks (and God knows I've been wrongly ticketed by Lumpkin County), but I know and understand why they're up there.
"Me too" on both counts.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #11
TorqueWrench OP
Obsolete and Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210
"Me too" on both counts.
Yep, me too. I'm sure that the locals grow tired of superbikes blowing past them as well as the Sunday morning "American Thunder". As cycling gains more and more popularity, I forsee these prime riding locations going the same way as trail riding did back in the 70's. Before three and four wheelers hit the market, no one gave a damn about the few of us who rode trail bikes. When the woods became full of these other machines, ripping and romping, we all got kicked out. On the other hand, if everyone will go ride elsewhere or simply obey the laws, I'm sure that economics will soon remedy the problem.
All The Other Bikes...
Old 06-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #12
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,613
Agreed. If everyone would just cruise through slowly and quietly and obey the laws, this would never have happenned. Think about it. Who else is coming to fucking Suches, GA to spend money every weekend. TWO and that gas station likely make more $ combined than any other business up that way (other than the LEO's now, apparently).

When I see folks passing on double yellows, speeding at insane levels (we all speed 'a little') , and blasting loud pipes, it just makes me embarassed to be with them. BTW, this is my opinion on Forest roads too.

But to each his own, live and let live. It will no doubt be these same ignorant assholes that bitch and moan when we're no longer allowed to ride there.

Bottom line: If you're gonna break the law, then do it and have a good time doing it...just please do it AWAY from great established riding areas.

My opinon...
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:12 AM   #13
Wannabe
Rollin on my 5 0...

Oddometer: 120
I rode up there last Monday...

We saw two cops on 129, but they looked like they were just passing through.

I ride on weekdays though, to avoid the police hassle and idiot bikers/drivers.

I was going to ride this morning, but decided against it. Considering the holidays, I would probably be asking for trouble...
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:45 AM   #14
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

I ride up on weekdays also... unless real early or real late to just make a run...
Hey.. Wanabe... flag me down if you see me... (Blk GS/Hella lights, I live on Welchel off #400 (.3 miles).
I rode a little too early yesterday PM and paid the price by having 7/10 vehicles in front of me... definitly a place to stay away from this weekend...
The 2 wheel traffic was really light however... even TWO seemed empty...

Be well.... Ara
Old 07-02-2005, 05:04 AM   #15
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,613
That is one HELLACIOUS ride you got there, Chef.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote