How do BMWs' cost so much to run??
Thanks for this. Useful.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
Back when I was on beemers and hung out at the Chain Gang site, the fuel injected 650's came along and for a while there seemed to be a huge problem with the FI mapping and engine stalling. IIRC one of the inmates stumbled on a fix that amounted to a different length spark plug, i.e., a slightly longer plug did the trick for a bunch of them. No more stalling, smooth power.

Maybe that's useful info to you and maybe not, but FWIW there 'tis.

Do a google for Chain Gang F650 and you'll find the site.
Thumpers - OFF TOPIC
These are the BMW parallel twins being discussed
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Thumpers - OFF TOPIC
These are the BMW parallel twins being discussed
Whoops! Sorry. I forgot about the changes in the model line.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #19
Vettel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
In answer to some of the comments here, i have looked at the F700 as well, and love it. Hard to justify $15k on one by the time delivery and taxes are done, hence a year or two old f650 or strom.

The 2012 F650GS special edition ex demos around here are costing the same, ok $300 less than a non-farkled (is that even a term?) F700. Frankly, i was surprised at that. I know the SE has some bits from the factory, but its last years model, with 5K km on it. Hey ho. If i could find a 2011 SE, theres a question - did they make them in the 2010-11 years?, then that would likely be the best result for me.

The KLR, which a lot of people rave about for a cheap bike is too off-road orientated for me. I live in a major metropolitan area and logging roads....actually its Montreal, the roads suck, but anyway, it not for me.

Decisions decisions...
Old 01-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #20
larlec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
You should also take a look at the review of the 2012 DL650 review in the May 2012 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News, a magazine I highly regard. They gave it about as high a rating as a bike could get. You should be able to find it on-line.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #21
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 502
the new F700GS has a slight horse power increase and now specifies high test gas....where the F650gs (both 798cc) runs on regular. To get this more hp the ecu has surely been changed, maybe a hotter cam like the 800gs has had.
the increase in power is all above 5000 rpm (85mph) so other than bench racing most do not notice

I beleive the new 700 also come with tighter chain/sprocket gearing giving it fast acceleration..same gear the 800gs has had right along. good for stop light racing....more revs per mile

bootom line I would go for the f650 vs the f700....regular gas better milage but they are pretty much idenical bike other than these issues.

ps Not framiliar with the SE model term BMW changes the standard vs option mix country to country. I have a 2010 f650gs with ABS, trip computer. I got the stock seat vs the no charge low seat. They made the same bike in 2011 and 2012. not sure about 2009

vtbob screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 05:21 AM
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #22
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandM View Post
Vettel, you should have a look at one of these. We can get the 1000 in Canada as well! For Montreal, a Versys would be the chat's meow. It's UGLY though. But then, you won't need a security alarm!
I have a new F700GS waiting for me in the showroom for just around the 12K mark. Spent a lot of time bouncing between the DL650 and the F700GS in my mind. Bottom line, the BMW "talks" to me, the Suzuki doesn't. This, and I like the guys at the BMW dealer better. Both are 200 kilometres away (I have a truck, and a DR650 spare bike) so location is no issue! Much has been written about the F650GS only having a single front brake. You only need one. A non issue.
The BMW has a three year warranty, and since I'll trade it after three years, this is a huge factor for me.
Get the one that "talks" to you!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #23
Vettel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Vettel, you should have a look at one of these. We can get the 1000 in Canada as well! For Montreal, a Versys would be the chat's meow. It's UGLY though. But then, you won't need a security alarm!
I have a new F700GS waiting for me in the showroom for just around the 12K mark. Spent a lot of time bouncing between the DL650 and the F700GS in my mind. Bottom line, the BMW "talks" to me, the Suzuki doesn't. This, and I like the guys at the BMW dealer better. Both are 200 kilometres away (I have a truck, and a DR650 spare bike) so location is no issue! Much has been written about the F650GS only having a single front brake. You only need one. A non issue.
The BMW has a three year warranty, and since I'll trade it after three years, this is a huge factor for me.
Get the one that "talks" to you!
Lyle
Thanks lyle. I see one of those every morning, and your right, its damn ugly. Any chance you could pm me the specs options you have on the 700? I thought it would be a whole lot more than that byt the time taxes were added.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #24
Delhispearman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
F650 vs V-Strom 650?

OK, here we go; first post. I have just come back from a good 50-plus mile ride on my '99 BMW F650 Funduro with my good pal on his old-style 650 V-Strom. Today we got rained-off big style when we entered the clouds on the Troodos Mountains and got home soaked and frozen. We ride most weekends but barely top 100 miles per trip. The reason? We live on Cyprus and it is physically difficult to ride 100 miles in any one direction without falling off the edge! But each mountain mile here contains more corners than you can shake a stick at and more challenging complex terrain (known elsewhere as roads) than I have seen in many a trip across the UK/France/Italy/Germany/Australia/Cambodia/Canada/Thailand/New Zealand/Kuwait and at fifty years young I've ridden them all. Well, bits of them, anyway...

The F650 is my first BMW - been a Guzzi man all my life - and it has been a revelation on these tight twisties and across mountain trails. My pal stays with me on the Suzuki and he was better protected from the torrential rain/sleet today, but the BMW is the better bike IMHO for these road surfaces. Though I have to say we have put these two bikes through the wringer over the past year and neither has let us down. Whether storming passes, fording rivers or capering up fire breaks - both have shown themselves to be surprisingly tough - with plenty of bash-plate action to prove it. For me there is one major advantage with the F650 and that is ease of maintenance. I do all my own servicing and it is a doddle. My friend gets his done professionally - Fuel Injection, y'see. I also get better fuel consumption, but I do get plenty of snatch at low speeds - if you know what I mean... The V strom is obviously smoother. And a major plus with either is that with the optional hard luggage you can go proper touring as well as attacking the odd Alp. Two bikes in one. And as Europe is broke too, that's value for money in my book

My message? Don't think you have to buy new to enjoy yourself. There's plenty of used bikes out there with service history and little real use. Find a good 'previously enjoyed' example of either of the above, with some extras already fitted such as heated grips which saved me today, and have fun. And pocket the substantial price difference from new to take the Missus out for dinner once in a while; which in my experience keeps things calmer at home!

'Yamas' and pass the Zivania!
Delhispearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #25
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delhispearman View Post
OK, here we go; first post. I have just come back from a good 50-plus mile ride on my '99 BMW F650 Funduro with my good pal on his old-style 650 V-Strom. Today we got rained-off big style when we entered the clouds on the Troodos Mountains and got home soaked and frozen. We ride most weekends but barely top 100 miles per trip. The reason? We live on Cyprus and it is physically difficult to ride 100 miles in any one direction without falling off the edge! But each mountain mile here contains more corners than you can shake a stick at and more challenging complex terrain (known elsewhere as roads) than I have seen in many a trip across the UK/France/Italy/Germany/Australia/Cambodia/Canada/Thailand/New Zealand/Kuwait and at fifty years young I've ridden them all. Well, bits of them, anyway...

The F650 is my first BMW - been a Guzzi man all my life - and it has been a revelation on these tight twisties and across mountain trails. My pal stays with me on the Suzuki and he was better protected from the torrential rain/sleet today, but the BMW is the better bike IMHO for these road surfaces. Though I have to say we have put these two bikes through the wringer over the past year and neither has let us down. Whether storming passes, fording rivers or capering up fire breaks - both have shown themselves to be surprisingly tough - with plenty of bash-plate action to prove it. For me there is one major advantage with the F650 and that is ease of maintenance. I do all my own servicing and it is a doddle. My friend gets his done professionally - Fuel Injection, y'see. I also get better fuel consumption, but I do get plenty of snatch at low speeds - if you know what I mean... The V strom is obviously smoother. And a major plus with either is that with the optional hard luggage you can go proper touring as well as attacking the odd Alp. Two bikes in one. And as Europe is broke too, that's value for money in my book

My message? Don't think you have to buy new to enjoy yourself. There's plenty of used bikes out there with service history and little real use. Find a good 'previously enjoyed' example of either of the above, with some extras already fitted such as heated grips which saved me today, and have fun. And pocket the substantial price difference from new to take the Missus out for dinner once in a while; which in my experience keeps things calmer at home!

'Yamas' and pass the Zivania!
You are talking about the older single cylinder F650 thumper, in fact the Carb Funduro model. The 2008+ F650GS is a twin cylinder 800cc bike. Nothing even close to the old Funduro's. Granted, for the type of riding you do, that Funduro probably fits great, but not really related to the OP's quest for a true road bike.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #26
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,790
So I'm going to come in from the other side. I've owned 5 different Vstrom's since 2006. 04 DL650, 04 DL1000, 07 DL650, 08 DL650, 09 DL650. My collection of Stroms has taken me all over the US. I have over 125k miles combined between all 5. One reason I've owned so many is I kept selling them trying to find something else that fit, and kept coming back to them, plus on a few I just wanted to change colors. I have really loved the DL650's, hated the DL1000. My current 09 DL650 has 36k on it and its been perfect. My buddy has an 03 DL1000 and he's coming up on 270k miles on it and its been dead reliable for him.

To me the biggest things going for the DL650 is value for the money, reliability, smooth engine, perfect FI, long fuel range, ample after market items, and at 6'4", I've got mine setup great to fit me.

The vstrom is very much a top heavy bike, but I've gotten used to it, and it does just eat up the miles with ease.

With all that said, I have ridden the F658GS many times and it always does bring a smile to my face. I know in stock form, it doesn't nearly provide the wind protection the strom does, but that can be fixed. The fuel tank is smaller meaning less range, but at least the weight is down low. I just could never convince myself to spend the extra to sell the strom and get the F658GS. I actually think I'd enjoy the R1200GS Adv more, but that's a huge price jump from the strom and another whole thread. With as many stroms that I've owned and the miles I've put on them, I'm actually getting a little bored. The bike is great, but I think after 5 of them, I'm just ready for something different.

My wife actually has the 06 F650GS single and I enjoy that bike, but I think at some point she'll be moving to the F658GS twin just for the twin engine and better highway performance. That bike fits her well and I know I'll enjoy jumping on it.

Oh BTW, I've ridden the new 2012 DL650's and what a nice bike. A little less top heavy than the 2011- models and looks a lot better too.

So, I guess for you it really should come down to what you like better, what fits you, and value for the money if that's important. Its hard to deny the value of the stroms, and their reliability has been well proven, but if the BMW is grabbing your soul, and its in the budget, then ride the bike that makes you happy!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #27
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
You are talking about the older single cylinder F650 thumper, in fact the Carb Funduro model. The 2008+ F650GS is a twin cylinder 800cc bike. Nothing even close to the old Funduro's. Granted, for the type of riding you do, that Funduro probably fits great, but not really related to the OP's quest for a true road bike.
ow man... I wanted to be the guy who bashes the noob

BTW: Welcome to the asylum

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #28
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
AFAIK, the sun yellow F650GS SE was a 2012 option that cost around 300 bucks extra. I always wanted a F650 for past few years until I walked in the local dealer early summer and happened to see a yellow F650GS with the right options and bought it on the spot. After breaking it in and getting familiar with it during the first 2000 miles, I rode it across USA from San Francisco Bay Area to New York City and then down to Atlanta Georgia. I had no problem with it after some 7,000 miles. Got many complements from others I met on the roads regarding how good this bike look, it stood out a bit since most riders I've met are riding Harley, very few BMW Enduro.

Love the bike and would do it again:

mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #29
equ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
While I only have 1500 miles on my '10 f650gs (bought last September), I heartily recommend it. Fastish, light, fun... Mine has a tank bag and an akrapovic exhaust (with the silencer out, with it in, had almost no character). I live near NYC and this bike does everything well, crappy city streets, slicing backed up traffic, stop'n'go, open highway at 90mph, twisties... I never notice the front disc being too weak. Abs/heated grips/trip computer work great. Love it in lava orange!

Up to 4hrs/200miles I don't mind the stock seat yet. 5'9", 33" inseam, 175lbs.

I wasn't shopping for this bike at all. My bike background: longtime w650 rider, have some guzzi & ducati experience. I did a triumph demo day (tigers & triples) and a bmw demo day (f658gs, f800gs, f800r) and the 650 simply "spoke" to me. If I didn't get this bike, I would have gone for a last generation ducati multistrada 1100S (the other bike that "spoke" to me among many other demos). More money, worse around town, worse mpg's, no abs/heated grips. I'm happy with my choice.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #30
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
AFAIK, the sun yellow F650GS SE was a 2012 option that cost around 300 bucks extra. I always wanted a F650 for past few years until I walked in the local dealer early summer and happened to see a yellow F650GS with the right options and bought it on the spot. After breaking it in and getting familiar with it during the first 2000 miles, I rode it across USA from San Francisco Bay Area to New York City and then down to Atlanta Georgia. I had no problem with it after some 7,000 miles. Got many complements from others I met on the roads regarding how good this bike look, it stood out a bit since most riders I've met are riding Harley, very few BMW Enduro.

Love the bike and would do it again:

Nice bike! ......But I'd really like to see more pics of that Landcruiser.....llooks cherry.
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote