Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
motorcyclemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Recently bought a pair of Sidi discovery rain boots, they look allot like the Sidi trials version. A little stiff at first but after a half dozen rides they feel great. After a year on my Gaerne trials oil boots they were pretty much shot and did not offer the protection I was after. Have ran my feet into a few rocks and the Gaerne boots did little to protect my toes, could also always feel the peg thru the boot way to much. Don't get me wrong the Gaerne is a great boot but I need more protection than they offer. The Sidi boots come with a removable toe kick plate, first thing I took off. Soles are not like the gum rubber Gaerne's but they feel good and am sure they will last allot longer. They also provide better toe protection (heavier, thicker leather) and feel more shock absorption thru the peg. The Gaerne boots seem to fatigue my ankles and legs more than the Sidi's as well. Time will tell but I think I made the right choice personally.
motorcyclemark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,604
I've had similar experiences with boots. I used to have a pair of Hebo trials boots. I kept smashing my toes on the rocks here and after losing a couple of nails, I decided to look for something else.

I bought Gaerne oiled boots. They have a much stiffer toe box than the slipper like Hebos. Even Garne's own cheaper boot doesn't have as stiff of a toe box.

I also second the motion on Sidi Discovery Rain's the new version of the old Discovery. They are flexible enough to make a decent trials boot, especially after they are broken in. A number of riders around here use them as a trials boot only. Plus they are protective enough to wear as a trail riding boot. Not sure if I would want to race in them, boot they work nice. This is the boot I wear when we go to CO trail riding. Good feel, good protection, comfortable to walk in and WATERPROOF. Only downside is, they are expensive.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #18
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 604
Gordy and 2whlrcr (and I!) have found the weak spot -- not as good as moto boots when crushed. But for all day comfort, and walking on rock, and lever-and-peg feel, and kicking cactus, and getting scrubbed on stuff, and GETTING THE DAB when your life depends on it, yeah, trials boots are wonderful. Wear kneepads, different thread.

Really, could you even walk a section in your motocross boots?
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwstrider View Post
If you ride "off the tarmac", then at some point your tires will slide in an unexpected way. When you slap the ground with your foot, and you will, you need ankle support, and a solid sole. I have used a pair of Sidi Discovery boots for about 60,000 miles. They are comfortable and fairly light, they have also held up very well. That peculiar model is no longer available, how ever there are other similar ATV/ Duel Sport boots that are available. I know, I know, they are soooo $$$ expensive! Well, compare their expense to having a Doctor pin your ankle back together. $$$$$$$
Happy Riding I'll see you on the trail.
60,000 miles of TRIALS riding?

The discussion is about trials boots for trials riding. Different boots for different needs.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraydog View Post

Really, could you even walk a section in your motocross boots?
That is a big deal! Sometimes the sections are very difficult to walk. In the wet, my Alpinestars are superior to Gaernes and for all of the hiking we do.
Also, you cannot roll your foot over the end of the peg when cornering in a MX boot and if you insist on wearing them, you will be guaranteed to build a habit that is hard to break. I come from a dirt riding background and it is really tough to remember to do that when cornering. With MX boots, forget it. You will be riding flat footed all day and giving up tons of points.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #21
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,486
A trials specific boot is perfect for riding trIAls. A trials riding boot is pretty bad ass for riding over 3000 miles on a dual sport bike. When the soles start to wear, whip out the $6 dollar tube of walmart shoe goo and add a few hundred more hours of riding.

I love my trials boots but the Fox 5 is a serious alternative but no cheaper. So buy the Alpinestars or Garne or Diadora (sic) or whatever.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #22
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,216
I try not to ride in steel toed boots, that steel toe can fold back and pinch/crush your foot it happens a lot and hurts like a MF!!! After that last time I think I would wear sandals before I did the steel toed boots again

I have had good luck wearing non steel toed work boots (Hawthorns/Whites they run about $350 to $450) but The lack of shin protection and the heel is why I went to regular trials boots

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #23
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,472
It is a little known fact that there is a mechanism built into every trials boot that lowers you COG when you stand
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #24
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,486
Back in the day Alpinestars made a red, white and blue trials boot and the sole was supposed to mimic the exact traction of your trials tire. . I gave a way a pair to Pepe a while back in great shape. I would buy that same boot today. The Sidi trials boot I had a decade or more ago was the best trials boot ever and the fit was perfect. Now I just buy the cheapest offered.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #25
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Must be something in the air in Idaho. Kieth Adams rode for years with just tennis shoes.( Multi national champion from Idaho) Most people like to be able to walk on monday. It`s all about protection. Trouble is it only takes once. ( I could include detalis) I recommend not even starting a bike without proper boots, let alone riding it! I once started my bike within minutes of taking my boots off, I finally quit bleeding thirty days later.
Ewwww I remember when you did that! At Spruce, right? I caught a glimpse while packing up and got all queasy (a nurse like my mom I could never be).
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #26
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,274
Just thought I would add some "thoughts" to this thread, in generic format...

Trials boots, a cross between nice comfortable tennis shoes, and calf high boots. Used for riding at slow speeds, giving ankle/foot agility. I wear my Hebo's more than I do shoes during weekend of say, a 2 day event, they feel damn comfortable {yet warmer} than wearing my tennis shoes. they give you ankle support more than tennis shoes, more like high top basketball shoes, but nothing like MX boots do with rigid parts sewn into them. Let alone how much harder the soles and supporting parts of the motocross boot's soles are.

So, if you race down a trail and hit a rock or even say, what is left of a stump of a less than 2 inch diameter tree, at a high speed... Well, Trials BOOTS (as designed and built) offer pretty limited protection, not much more than tennis shoes. There are stories all over where guys bought trials boots, then rode a dirt bike at speeds, and hit something with their foot at speed. damn near losing toes, because trials boots are so soft.

BUT, That is the part of the trade off or "compromise" we've more or less, over the many years of buying the Trials Purposed Boots... and loving them. Braking and stuff is done with far more intense "feel" required, that is the norm for trials... I need a boot that not only allows me to flex around on the pegs, but also flexes so when I put my foot out to catch me on a 4+ foot high obstacle, I can get a good foot hold, and have reasonable grip, I argue the grip is better than my tennis shoes, and better than any general purpose boot you buy at say, some farm store, 100 times better than those hard rubber soled MX type boots for "speed".

You dont see rock climbers adopting MX boots, or farm store boots, nor trials boots, to climb rock faces... they use what look to me like Ballet slippers... But I bet you if you could get them to try all 3 types, they'd pick the trials boot... I know, they dont plan to survive a collision with a rock at anything above snails pace either, while rock climbing. I mean when they hit Terminal Velocity, last thing I think they worry about is if the shoes they wore are going to allow that ledge or tree branch penetrate the soles, or ankle stability.

As apposed to motocross/racing/plain old dirt-biking at speeds, the norm is and always will be, is to compromise the braking feel, with a lot more protection.

Sting32 screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 08:04 AM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #27
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 822
Eh? Keeping COG low...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP View Post
It is a little known fact that there is a mechanism built into every trials boot that lowers you COG when you stand
To bad the COG level seems to get higher as the boot gets older...
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote